Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Prolima Megahalems and core i7 issue

Last response: in Overclocking
September 9, 2010 10:07:29 AM

Hi, i'm just wondering, is there a particular board i have to use to fit a megahalems on a core i7 system (since it didn't fit on my ga-x58a-ud3r rev 2).
and if that wasn't bad enough i also i managed to break my board getting the old cooler off (an akasa nero s) so i need a reccomedataion of which board to get as a replacement too.

thanks in advance (since i'm pulling my hair out at this point).

David~
September 9, 2010 10:34:46 AM

price range?
m
l
September 9, 2010 10:45:38 AM

ahh, sorry, knew i would forget somthing,
upto £200 since i didn't really count on damaging the board in the first place :/ 

also i forgot to mention this in the main post but is ram size(height) a problem for the megalems?

Thanks

David~
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

September 9, 2010 11:52:20 AM

The Megahalem did fit on my ga-ex58-ud5, so it should also fit on the new version of it, the ga-ex58a-ud5, which add USB 3.0 and 6GB sata.

I had to remove the top fins of the first 2 sticks of the Corsair Dominator RAM to fit the fan (not the whole heatsink, just the top fins, which means 3 little screws). The 4 remaining sticks clear the fan just fine as is.
September 9, 2010 12:33:07 PM

ok, there's quite a lot of options. how many RAM sticks do you have? if you only have 3 then i think you can re-sit them all one bank to the right, so the slot closest to the CPU is empty. This helps with a lot of large coolers. Also how many Graphics cards slots do you need/want, 2 or 3?

I guess you'll be overlcoking with that beast of a cooler, so i think onboard heat sinks are important aswell right?

in the mean time might be worth a quick look at this thread:-

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/252684-11-best-moth...
m
l
September 9, 2010 12:44:13 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its an ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

this looks pretty solid, and read this thread with regards to your cooler and the board:-

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/692072-does...

looks like u would only have problems with 12Gig of RAM.

But before you buy it i think you should start another thread with the board name (ASUS P6X58D Premium) and your cooler name, asking if they fit together ok.
m
l
September 9, 2010 1:53:05 PM

Hmm, looks interesting,
though i may be getting a replacement of my Mobo under some kind of warranty, i don't know if i will yet so thanks for the suggestions, :) 

Interesting, i didn't know that you could remove the top heat spreador from corsair ram sticks (since it was those that was getting in the way of the installation, guess i should have said what ram i had), though i'm Wondering, would it invalidate the warranty on them, or are corsair very good with things like that?

Thanks

David~
m
l
September 9, 2010 2:14:22 PM

if your careful removing the heat sinks, you could probably put it back on and they'd never know ;o)
m
l
September 9, 2010 2:19:46 PM

Ohh, whoops, i forgot to mention that i only have three ram sticks (6gb) and they were allready in the slot farthest away from the cpu, though by what kbits said, i may be able to get it to fit by removing the heatspreaders on the ram.

Thanks

David~
m
l
September 9, 2010 2:24:48 PM

hehehe, i like your thinking J_Sparrow :) , guess i could give that a try.
m
l
September 10, 2010 10:10:11 PM

Just an update, i will be sending the original board off for a repair (since it is cheaper than a new board) sometime within the next 4 days and so i guess the best responce goes to kbits for now and thank you J_Sparrow for the suggestions on which motherboard to get as a replacement even if i don't need one just yet :) .
also i will post back if i have any more issues when i actually come round to installing the megalems.

Thanks again.

David~
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 11, 2010 4:40:05 PM

kbits said:
The Megahalem did fit on my ga-ex58-ud5, so it should also fit on the new version of it, the ga-ex58a-ud5, which add USB 3.0 and 6GB sata.

I had to remove the top fins of the first 2 sticks of the Corsair Dominator RAM to fit the fan (not the whole heatsink, just the top fins, which means 3 little screws). The 4 remaining sticks clear the fan just fine as is.

Not trying to be rude, however the UD3R does have usb 3 and sata 6gbps via marvell controller ( I have it) I am curious what the UD5 does add though.. it's just not those items that were mentioned
m
l
September 11, 2010 6:56:02 PM

The OP said his UD3R couldn't fit the Megahalem, and asked for alternative. I know the EX58-UD5 is compatible, but the board isn't available anymore, so I assume the updated EX58A-UD5 would also fit this heatsink.

I let to the OP to figure out if the board is worth it or not to him.

Hard Line: You say you have the UD3R, do you also have the Megahalem? If it fit on it, maybe the OP doesn't have to look for an alternative.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 11, 2010 10:07:54 PM

kbits said:
The OP said his UD3R couldn't fit the Megahalem, and asked for alternative. I know the EX58-UD5 is compatible, but the board isn't available anymore, so I assume the updated EX58A-UD5 would also fit this heatsink.

I let to the OP to figure out if the board is worth it or not to him.

Hard Line: You say you have the UD3R, do you also have the Megahalem? If it fit on it, maybe the OP doesn't have to look for an alternative.

I do not have the megahelams, however I do have the Noctua D-14 which is nothing short of massive and heavy at 2 lbs and it fits as long you don't use tall ram. it works well with mushkin redlines
m
l
September 11, 2010 11:42:16 PM

Hard Line said:
I do not have the megahelams, however I do have the Noctua D-14 which is nothing short of massive and heavy at 2 lbs and it fits as long you don't use tall ram. it works well with mushkin redlines

I don't know why the megahalem doesn't fit on the UD3R.

Orka23, what's exactly in the way? A quick search on Google returned a few UD3R / megahalem combinaison, so I think you should try again to make it fit your board.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2010 2:38:47 AM

I think it was the tall ram heatsinks causing the problem, not the board itself.
m
l
September 12, 2010 2:40:12 AM

kbits, i'm an idiot, it was my memory that was getting in the way (i have corsair Dominator ram) and i couldn't fit the cooler, guess i should have blamed my memory before the board :/ 

anyway i can't reinstall it just yet since i'm waiting on the repair.

Thanks

David~
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2010 2:41:40 AM

Hope it works out for you. By the way, what part got broken?
m
l
September 12, 2010 3:03:37 AM

EXT64, On the back of the motherboard there was a small (as in really small) component, say a capasitor/resistor that the backplate from the old cooler pulled off due to it being guled on by adhesive pads.

my own fault really, guess i should of used my common sense when installing it, oh well, :( .

David~
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2010 3:08:51 AM

Ah, got it. I was just wondering about the cost/feasibility of the fix, but that sounds like it shouldn't (hopefully) be a big deal at all for them to fix.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2010 2:28:15 PM

orka, I wish you luck on the repair.. and if you need other ram that should work with a large cooler, I use and recommend the mushkin redline enhanced... I got thre 6GB kit for about 180 ( i know more expensive than others) but it runs 1600mhz at 6-8-6-24 ( gonna be trying for 6-7-6-20 at 1680)
m
l
September 17, 2010 7:27:34 PM

Just an update, the repair went well and the board is working well with the new cooler.
i did have to remove the top heat spreader from the ram (Thanks kbits) to make it fit and i'm using the finished pc to post this message.

Thanks everybody, you've been a great help suggesting things and all :) 

David~
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2010 7:34:15 PM

Glad we could help you out :D 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 18, 2010 3:04:00 AM

Glad it is working. Temps seem good and all? (They should be excellent).
m
l
September 18, 2010 2:55:41 PM

yeah, my temps seem much better, mind you, i could do with another fan on this beast.
i'm gettting at stock 39c idle to ~63c under load, would you say that's normal for this cooler.
m
l
October 8, 2010 5:38:59 AM

Best answer selected by orka23.
m
l
!