Upgrading My Aspire one AOA 150-1049

frakeer

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Greetings all. I have been combing through the forums for a couple of hours now and am likely just about to "catch it" from my wife (2:20am) so one simple question. I have been into examin the 160GB HD and found that it is a Sata drive. Am I safe to go ahead and blow a weeks wages on a SSD? I can't find any documented cases of this particular netbook being upgraded to a SSD.

Solution
As long as it's a SATA, you should be okay. If it has standard SATA power & drive connectors.

Even if it's only a 1.8" drive, they make those, also. This is the difference between an Intel X18-M and a X25-M, the drive size (1.8" vs. 2.5").

If it's only SATA I, you should be able to put a jumper on the SSD drive to limit it to SATA I 1.5Gbps.

Since this is going into a laptop, you may want to get as much drive size as you can afford, 160GB drives are out there, 60GB, 100GB, and 120GB are more common.

Good Luck. ;)
As long as it's a SATA, you should be okay. If it has standard SATA power & drive connectors.

Even if it's only a 1.8" drive, they make those, also. This is the difference between an Intel X18-M and a X25-M, the drive size (1.8" vs. 2.5").

If it's only SATA I, you should be able to put a jumper on the SSD drive to limit it to SATA I 1.5Gbps.

Since this is going into a laptop, you may want to get as much drive size as you can afford, 160GB drives are out there, 60GB, 100GB, and 120GB are more common.

Good Luck. ;)

Solution

frakeer

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Thanx foscooter. Its actually a netbook so it's unlikely that I have any room for any adapters.

As far as size of drive goes... I don't want the little guy thinking he is any bigger than he really is. I have a desktop that would get very jealous if I were to start fooling around with a sportier model. But I am an impatient person and would like to have it, at least, feel like my gaming rig.

I suppose if I were a patient man I could find someone on the net that has actually done this but they are hiding themselves pretty good.

I will bite the bullet and get the ocz Vertex 2 or Agility 2 and post the adventure here when I am finished.

frakeer

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Bought a corsair SSD ( cssd-f60gb2-brkt) and it works amazingly. I do regret not getting a larger drive after reading other posts on how SSD's ability to store data degrades but I don't suspect this netbook or the drive to be of much use 10 years from now and there's not much chance of me writing every cell 100 times before then. Not sure if the price tag would be worth it for a desktop system but for netbooks that will accept them, definately...