Feast on this Beast!!!

Ladies and gentlemen...Introducing the main event...

Just joking...

Check this i-7 build and tell me whatcha think...


Yes...It's expensive...I know...

You can try to save me money but if you can't give relatively the same components or at least performance/space don't bother.

I posted a i-7 build a ltl while back and liked the feed back and have now decided to save and am upgrading to this Beast.

I just picked out the monitors and some of the parts so critique at will.


Here we go...


Case - Coolermaster HAF 932 Steel black Full Tower - $169.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

Motherboard - Asus Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 i-7 - $398.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131352

Processor - Intel core i-7 920 2.66 - $288.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

Psu - Corsair 1000w Modular - $279.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007

Memory - Corsair Dominator 6Gb (3x2) 1600 DDR3 - $199.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224

GPU - 2x Asus Gtx 295 1792Mb - $1,019.98 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121296

HDD(s) - 3x WD Caviar Black 1Tb 7200Rpm - $389.97 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

- WD VelociRaptor 300Gb 10000Rpm - $229.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136322

OS - Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Retail - $235.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116473

Optical Drive(s) - (edit) Samsung 22x DVD+/- R Burner w/ Lightscribe - $26.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151173

- LG Black/White Blu-Ray Burner - $349.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136145

CPU Cooler - Coolermaster V-8 120mm Rifle cpu cooler - $69.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055

Keyboard/Mouse - Saitek Eclipse III - $79.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823175006

- Logitech G-7 - $69.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104203

Monitors -(edit) 3x SAMSUNG Rose Black 25.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen - $1,999.96 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001281

Speakers - Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speakers - $282.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120


And one Aerocool 55 in one Card reader plus fan controller w/ pop up LCD screen.

All for -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->(edit) $5,642.79 (Includes instant savings but not MIRs)


Note : Asus GPU was out of stock at time of posting. Chose that PSU for OCing and future and it rated this system at above 850 watts OC'd on Outervision.

The Keyboard was a quick pick so help w/ that wld be awesome. Been looking at the logitech Keyboards and like them 2.

Oh and to the ones who are sneering....I'm nowhere near rich so don't think it. Using Tax/Savings money. (Already have a car and a Place and a great LCD t.v)

Have nothing else to spend this on and My gf is happy so don't step there either. :)

As always, All help, criticism, blatant rude comments, etc. are welcome so have fun and pls help this builder out w/ his future toy :) :)
31 answers Last reply
More about feast beast
  1. Just a couple questions. Is there a reason for 4 monitors? I'm not knocking it, but....you must have a big desk?

    YOU GOT A G7! :)

    6 blu ray burners and 2 dvd? Could you explain the need for the 2 dvd...or the 6 burners? x.x

    And why the rampage extreme? Wouldn't a P6T deluxe work fine?
  2. Edit on the 6x blu ray burners...took 6x out...meant the read or write speed...took it

    out anyway...
  3. I'm goint to mount one on the wall in the middle and now that I think of it a tri-config wld be better...could stand mount the rest in a circle config.
  4. I was gonna say...that was $2100 just in burners. Started to think you might be doing something the RIAA might frown on ;)
  5. I've seen three before...it just seems with four there would be a gap in the center of your view, assuming a somewhat v-shaped layout
  6. 2 DVD are for movie playing and multi-tasking on gaming and media. Blu-ray is for HD movie watching. Going to turn this nito an entertainment/ extreme gaming machine. Own private theater/ fun center if you will.
  7. Yeah...going to prob go w/ the 3-way...sounds better...edit that in a min.
  8. There we go
  9. I think you could go with 1 bluray burner and 1 dvd burner. You could always add the second dvd, and i truly can't imagine a time when you're using 3 drives at once.
  10. Was researching a 2000-2500 dollar build but I got some more leg room now and wanted to go all out plus i have the patience of a saint.
  11. I'm all about splurging, but that's a drive slot burnt for (seemingly) no reason.

    Also, you could save $200 going with the p6t deluxe. What do you think?
  12. You have a point freind with the drive. But i'm wondering still on the Mobo...What is the dif between the two and why is the rampage so much more if it's not so much better? Keep in mind I want to OC.
  13. Bump me.
  14. I'd get the eVGA GTX 295 cards with backplates instead.

    Sure you don't want to run 2 Velociraptors in RAID 0? Or maybe SSDs (try OCZ Apex)? I assume the 3 terabyte drives will be RAID 5, unless you're considering some sort of Matrix RAID setup.

    What? No TRUE??? Or TRUE Cu?

    With 3 monitors (depending on how you will set them up), you may not want the fancy red bezel. The regular black bezel types will fit together better.

    Logitech G-15 keyboard.

    To drive 2 GTX 295s, you need either the Corsair 1000HX, the Silverstone ZM 1200M, or the PCP&C 1200 watter. Check your 12V rail.

    For an extreme rig, use IC Diamond 7 Carat thermal paste.

    Sure you don't just want a BR reader, and an internal one at that?

    P6T Deluxe V2 mobo, for its space between the video cards--you'll surely need it.
  15. this build will cost you 4890 without MIRS USD cheaper than yours with some parts changed

    case: keep the Haf 932

    mobo:get ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail it will suit your needs

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365

    processor:keep it

    psu:keep it

    Memory:keep it

    Gpu: get 3x EVGA 01G-P3-1285-AR GeForce GTX 285 SC Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail (these running in tri-sli will beat the 2 gtx 295 running in quad believe me)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130446


    Hardrives:keep them

    os:get vista home 64 bit instead of vista ultimate because vista ultimate contains extras you won't need and will just slow down your pc

    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488

    optical drive: keep the samsung

    Blue ray: get the Pioneer Black 8X Blu-Ray DVD Burner SATA Model BDR-203BK - OEM it is better than the LG and it will do all what you want

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.161320


    cpu cooler:good choice

    keyboard: get a Logitech G11 Silver & Black USB Standard Gaming Keyboard - Retail instead it is cheaper and better or you can get the G15 which is better than both

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126009

    Mouse:good choice but you may consider getting a G9

    monitor: get a 30' instead of the 3 it will be better and cheaper and you can get the samsung 30' for 999 USD and it has a higher resolution the 25.5

    SAMSUNG SyncMaster 305T Black 30" 6ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 1000:1 - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001098&Tpk=samsung%2030

    ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail(this would help you decrease the cpu temperature

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186020


    the Aerocool 55 in 1 is good

    Hope i helped,Have a nice day
  16. I know it's going to be dangerous to bad-mouth a Corsair when I can't provide the link, but I just read a technical review somewhere (not a usual place I go; why I don't remember) where the HX-1000 had some rail stability problems at high load.
    Given heat, space, driver issues, etc. I just would not buy a 3-GPU setup, or even a 2-X2 setup. Consider the games you'll be playing. A pair of 1GB HD4870s in Crossfire are going to provide excellent performance. If you must (at the risk of driver issues), consider a pair of HD4870X2s. This will allow you to run your rig on an Antec Signature 850W PSU. It may very well be the best PSU there is right now (maybe outside of milspec), certainly for $200.
  17. well i know many of people who are powering their gtx 285 tri sli and gtx 295 quad sli with a corsair 1000HX and they never had a problem with the rails anyway i am using the pc power&cooling 1200 watt and it is good but it is expensive(i think it is 499 USD now) but it is worth every buck and it is your choice anyway i would consider stepping to the pc power&cooling 1200 watt if you have the money
  18. Onus said:
    I know it's going to be dangerous to bad-mouth a Corsair when I can't provide the link, but I just read a technical review somewhere (not a usual place I go; why I don't remember) where the HX-1000 had some rail stability problems at high load.
    Given heat, space, driver issues, etc. I just would not buy a 3-GPU setup, or even a 2-X2 setup. Consider the games you'll be playing. A pair of 1GB HD4870s in Crossfire are going to provide excellent performance. If you must (at the risk of driver issues), consider a pair of HD4870X2s. This will allow you to run your rig on an Antec Signature 850W PSU. It may very well be the best PSU there is right now (maybe outside of milspec), certainly for $200.


    well i think ur a fanboy you told the op not to buy a 3-gpu setup or even a 2-x2 setup and then recommended if he has the cash to drop coin for 2 4870x2's, op, stick with nvidia, having better drivers and evga at ur back is the best thing ever
  19. Onus said:
    I know it's going to be dangerous to bad-mouth a Corsair when I can't provide the link, but I just read a technical review somewhere (not a usual place I go; why I don't remember) where the HX-1000 had some rail stability problems at high load.
    Given heat, space, driver issues, etc. I just would not buy a 3-GPU setup, or even a 2-X2 setup. Consider the games you'll be playing. A pair of 1GB HD4870s in Crossfire are going to provide excellent performance. If you must (at the risk of driver issues), consider a pair of HD4870X2s. This will allow you to run your rig on an Antec Signature 850W PSU. It may very well be the best PSU there is right now (maybe outside of milspec), certainly for $200.

    +1

    Regarding extreme PSU setups, I'd go with the PCP&C 1200W (single rail) over the other 2 that I suggested. Granted, it's a bit pricey and most would probably choose the Corsair for its value here. The Corsair 1000HX's problem is that it is true dual rail with over-current protection, so it is also possible that if you don't connect it properly, then it will clip. If you do go with Corsair, then remember this diagram and connect appropriately: link. It would seem a little tight to me, and of course I would prefer more margin with PCP&C.

    For a more realistic top end video card setup, two GTX 285s in SLI might work best (especially when driven by the Antec Signature 850--unbelievable stability).
  20. Akebono 98 said:
    I'd get the eVGA GTX 295 cards with backplates instead.

    Sure you don't want to run 2 Velociraptors in RAID 0? Or maybe SSDs (try OCZ Apex)? I assume the 3 terabyte drives will be RAID 5, unless you're considering some sort of Matrix RAID setup.

    What? No TRUE??? Or TRUE Cu?

    With 3 monitors (depending on how you will set them up), you may not want the fancy red bezel. The regular black bezel types will fit together better.

    Logitech G-15 keyboard.

    To drive 2 GTX 295s, you need either the Corsair 1000HX, the Silverstone ZM 1200M, or the PCP&C 1200 watter. Check your 12V rail.

    For an extreme rig, use IC Diamond 7 Carat thermal paste.

    Sure you don't just want a BR reader, and an internal one at that?

    P6T Deluxe V2 mobo, for its space between the video cards--you'll surely need it.



    Not totally sure on the RAID config I'm going to be using at this point. Recommend? I am going w/ the Corsair 1000HX. Like modular for organizing reasons. The HAF has good wire organization but I like to remove the cords I'm not using.
    Like the v-2 but why has newegg not posted it to sell? I know that other sites have it and have checked it out but yeah. Definetly going 295X2 and I like the evga you suggested w/ the backplate. Why the IC Diamond?
  21. All that cash and going with a i7 920?
  22. teamlosigp said:
    well i think ur a fanboy you told the op not to buy a 3-gpu setup or even a 2-x2 setup and then recommended if he has the cash to drop coin for 2 4870x2's, op, stick with nvidia, having better drivers and evga at ur back is the best thing ever


    My suggestion actually was for two 1GB HD4870s; however if he was determined (not a matter of cash, just desire) to risk driver issues (and maybe heat), then to get the X2s. He could choose a pair of nVidia cards just as readily, but I'm not as familiar with their high end. After years of happening to prefer nVidia cards, these days I choose ATI in part because they tend to use less power. I'm sure I'd be equally satisfied with the performance of either.
    As to being a fanboy, I will reluctantly admit that given my own experience with a wide variety of their current models, plus NEVER reading a single bad competent technical review (i.e. with load testing, waveform analysis, etc...) of any of them, I may have to accept that designation concerning Antec. There are others I'd buy (the usual suspects), but Antec has become my first choice, one well-supported by evidence.
    Oh, btw I think the site was xbitlabs.
  23. +1... Somehow, I just can't see jtt283 being a fanboi.

    If there was a fanboi in this thread, it would have to be me for first recommending 2 eVGA GTX 295s with backplates, and then sobering up and recommending 2 GTX 285s in SLI.

    :lol:
  24. OK, now back to work. :pfff:

    RAID: For this super rig, you'd definitely want two 300GB Velociraptors in RAID 0 for the OS and apps. I'd even cut your 3 data drives down to 1 to facilitate this. Now since budget is not an issue, match this with two 1TB Caviar Blacks in RAID 1 for data storage and put the third Caviar Black in an external e-SATA enclosure for backup.

    If you're feeling really adventurous, you could try five (that's right, 5) 1TB Caviar Blacks in Matrix RAID 0 and 5 (maybe 100GB for RAID 0, the rest for RAID 5) since this is a TOY computer...

    Newegg now has the P6T Deluxe V2 available for sale.

    Why IC Diamond, you ask? Well, for a toy computer where practicality is not required, you want the best of everything and this is it. We're splitting hairs here and it has about a 1-2 degree (Celsius) advantage over MX-2!
  25. K...I called it a toy because of the fun factor and not as a label for the machine. I want this to be a great machine. One that will shake the foundations of the very block i live on. hehe :)...Oh and by the way i'm going w/ a 920 cause I can oc to the upper class i-7s
  26. Shake it up with Matrix RAID :wahoo:
  27. This should be a fun machine...
  28. I'm sure you'll have a fine system once completed. You are looking at building a complicated rig with the various raid configurations with an incredible amount of storage. You state that you want to OC this system, you are choosing a good CPU but are you able to accomplish that? It does beg the question that does one who requires assistance picking a GPU or monitor or OS have the ability the properly setup and configure a tri sli and dual raid? This is not a slam or put down not at all rather I support your endeavor. Consider the task you are setting before you. The ram is a good start it should be fine, but think about doubling it later to 12GB. Get a raid controller card it will make your setup easier and better than the raid the MoBo has.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=raid+controller+cards

    What about a SSD for the OS and your fav games and programs and a large fast storage and data drive?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2013240636%201421430849&name=128GB

    What if and I'm just putting this out there for you to consider, what if you shopped around and got the "one" best GPU that would fit your needs to start with? At the same time research the best LCD monitor that would fit your needs, the one you mentioned had a 5ms response since you require speed why not choose a 2-3ms unit?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020%201309823867%20131061713&name=2ms-3ms

    Adding monitors as you require them over time even if it’s a very short time. Same for the GPU See for yourself how well the one performs and then adding a second if it is truly required, you being the judge of the performance and need. Read several of the tech sites. They all have builder articles that discuss the problems and pitfalls to various hardware and software configurations on high end systems. Often times the reviews show that some equipment types and setups are more hype that actual performance. Use the benefit of real expert’s tech knowledge and the recommendations they make. Don’t buy a system just to shake the neighborhood, the neighborhood doesn’t care, get the one that fits your needs and wants. Lastly good luck with your build whatever you decide to do.
  29. topper743 said:
    I'm sure you'll have a fine system once completed. You are looking at building a complicated rig with the various raid configurations with an incredible amount of storage. You state that you want to OC this system, you are choosing a good CPU but are you able to accomplish that? It does beg the question that does one who requires assistance picking a GPU or monitor or OS have the ability the properly setup and configure a tri sli and dual raid? This is not a slam or put down not at all rather I support your endeavor. Consider the task you are setting before you. The ram is a good start it should be fine, but think about doubling it later to 12GB. Get a raid controller card it will make your setup easier and better than the raid the MoBo has.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=raid+controller+cards

    What about a SSD for the OS and your fav games and programs and a large fast storage and data drive?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2013240636%201421430849&name=128GB

    What if and I'm just putting this out there for you to consider, what if you shopped around and got the "one" best GPU that would fit your needs to start with? At the same time research the best LCD monitor that would fit your needs, the one you mentioned had a 5ms response since you require speed why not choose a 2-3ms unit?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020%201309823867%20131061713&name=2ms-3ms

    Adding monitors as you require them over time even if it’s a very short time. Same for the GPU See for yourself how well the one performs and then adding a second if it is truly required, you being the judge of the performance and need. Read several of the tech sites. They all have builder articles that discuss the problems and pitfalls to various hardware and software configurations on high end systems. Often times the reviews show that some equipment types and setups are more hype that actual performance. Use the benefit of real expert’s tech knowledge and the recommendations they make. Don’t buy a system just to shake the neighborhood, the neighborhood doesn’t care, get the one that fits your needs and wants. Lastly good luck with your build whatever you decide to do.


    Hey thanks topper...I've been researchin this system for about 6 months or so...I have a growin budget tat is gaining a 5k plus load or more...any help on here wld be great...I appreciate it alot...
  30. You all...thanks alot...anything will help so much
  31. bump
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product