Recover hidden folders

ian_62

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
hi iv got a 500Gb external hard drive i used about 300Gb thus far, recently my folder disappeard as if they are hidden, but my drive show that 300Gb are in use. could it be a virus? and if so is there a good removal tool since i cant afford to lose my info. im using Xp

It's very, very easy to accidentally move folders if your finger happens to click the mouse button as you're moving the mouse pointer past a folder in Windows Explorer. That can cause the entire folder to be moved inside another folder - the result is that it seems to have disappeared because it's no longer where you're expecting to see it.

I'd try doing a search for the folder name to see if Windows can find it.

G

Your files may be hidden or deleted by the virus. I'll also suggest first of all try some powerful anti-virus programs to clean the virus. If the files are hidden, it will become visible again(meanwhile check your visibility settings). If the files are deleted by the virus, you can rely on some file recovery programs to recover the deleted files. You may learn more from this article,
http://filerecoveryhelp.wordpress.com/2010/09/13/how-to-recover-lost-files-due-to-virus-attack/

it talks about how to recover lost files due to Virus Attack.