Sign in with
Your question

OC'ing Acer Timeline 3820TG-3022

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
September 9, 2010 10:51:30 PM

Hi everyone. I am new to the whole notebook overclocking and was wondering if anyone could help me get the most out of my laptop strictly with software modding and or cheap hardware addons. Here are the specs..

Intel Core i5-430M (2.27ghz) 3MB L3 cache
4GB DDR3 (7-7-7-20) unknown brand
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 (w/ up to 2138MB HyperMemory) <-- ?
500GB Western Digital 5400 RPM WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0 <- replacing
Running Windows 7 64-Bit

I am replacing the 500GB hdd with a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid drive and turning the old drive into an external. I don't really want to shell out $250++ to upgrade to 8 GB of ram so I'm just trying to figure out some softmods to use when my laptop is plugged in versus more hardware upgrades. Unfortunately the vid card is only tier3 but I am still trying to wrap my head around all the "speed increasing" features like HyperMemory, Readyboost, Radeon's Catalyst AI optimization, etc.

Any tips would be great! Thanks.

More about : ing acer timeline 3820tg 3022

September 10, 2010 5:50:44 AM

Do not overclock at all. Laptops are not made for that.
Get a desktop to overclock or stick with your notebook
m
l
September 12, 2010 4:17:38 PM

How about upgrading the video card? I know its far from easy compared to replacing a desktop video card but I have seen different cards in different configurations of this same laptop. Would it be something better left to the manufacturer, Acer? I really do not want to deal with shipping and would rather do it myself if it will cost me an arm and a leg for shipping/labor.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2010 5:39:31 PM

Well you just said, you don't want to shell out 250$. Laptop stuff is pretty much more expensive, and it is rare you will find Laptop GPU's available for sale. In some cases I've seen some people use a 4850 and hooked it up to a laptop externally, But... I wouldn't do that. As Abs said, Laptop = no overclock. The airflow within a laptop is so terrible the CPU would get crazy hot after even minor OC's. Also even if you had good airflow, generally most brands, practically all brands don't allow you to have a bios that allows you to unlock.

-Bottom line: just get a desktop.
m
l
December 25, 2010 12:52:30 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought I might add some useful info.
I disagree entirely with abswindows7 and aznshinobi. The 3820TG is not an common lappy; it's got an amazing cooling system with two heatsinks and fans - one for the CPU and one for the GPU. Folks over at NBR have hit 3.7-3.9 GHz stable OCs (no throttling, comfortable temps) on i5-540Ms (@ 2.53GHz stock). Being able to OC up to 54% higher is extraordinary, especially for a laptop. This laptop definitely has one of the best cooling systems in any laptop that exists. Your i5-430M should be able to break 3.0GHz, no sweat. GPU OCs have been similarly successful (on 5650s, I don't know about 5470s), but you can read more about that yourself. On that note, though, replacing the GPU is not feasible at all. You'd need a lot of equipment and a lot of skill.

Now, I doubt you'd need to OC your CPU past 3.0GHz for any reason other than bragging rights, seeing as you 3820TG would bottleneck in other areas, but that's up to you. Googling "3820TG possibly overclocking" should bring up all the info you need.
m
l
!