Sign in with
Your question

Cheapest "1080p able" homebuild - parts suggestions

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2009 10:49:13 AM

Hi,

Im looking to build a pc to put next to my TV, the basic requirement is that is not too big, silent and able to stream 1080p movies to my tv.
The only problem I have is that my budget is not so big, therefore Im looking for the cheapest machine I can get away with :) 

Any suggestions of parts are welcome, from the case to the small details.

I think this pc is very tricky to build as if you want a small factor PC then you end up paying more, also if you want a silent PSU then you pay more again and finally a good cpu for 1080p stream also cost a lot :-(

I need help!!! Im sure tomshardware fans can come up with the "Cheapest Media PC". :) 
Many Thanks.

Ps. I know there are some HD media Players like the 'WD TV HD Media Player' or the popcorn media players which are cheaper than a whole pc. But in my case I would prefer to just have a normal pc, plus its easier to network, etc. :pt1cable: 
a b B Homebuilt system
February 20, 2009 11:37:47 AM

$334 + $7.60 shipping?
February 20, 2009 11:41:18 AM

It isn't hard to find a 1080p-able graphics card, one of the Chrome cards might be the best idea if your using it with a tv because the $70 ones have display port and hdmi I think.
Related resources
February 20, 2009 12:16:28 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
It isn't hard to find a 1080p-able graphics card, one of the Chrome cards might be the best idea if your using it with a tv because the $70 ones have display port and hdmi I think.

I guess you can run the movies from GPU, but my experience is that its very difficult to run all the format out there.
Plus the GPU acceleration seem a little bit buggy at the moment.

Why cant i press just play from WM player and enjoy full GPU acceleration? its always pain, I hate codecs.
I think is probably easier just to get a powerfull CPU and forget about this 'GPU codec nonsense'.

Many Thanks anyway for your answer

BTW here is a great guide for accelerating of movies on the GPU:
Guru3d accelerate x264 1080p movies guide

February 20, 2009 12:21:47 PM

The processor seems a little bit underpowered.
Sometimes I use my macbook pro with core2duo 2.4GHz to run movies in 1080p and I get lots of blips in fast movies like transformers.

I think the power supply will be very noise as well for having it in the living room whilst a movie is playing.
Motherboard is great as then I can save by not buying a GPU.

Many thanks

Keep the ideas coming! :) 

a b B Homebuilt system
February 20, 2009 12:22:59 PM

Well what is your idea of a low budget then hehe
!