TedEBearNC

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Hi all,

I'm working on putting together a new system and I want to make sure I get a PSU that will have sufficient power to run it all. I've been reading about PSUs for the past two days until it's made my head spin so I thought I'd ask here for advice/recommendations.

Here's what I'm looking at:

Coolermaster HAF 932 Chassis
Phenom II X4 940 - Black Edition 3.0Ghz
ASUS M3N72-D 750a AM2+/AM2 mobo
Zalman 9900LED cooler
4 to 8 GB RAM - Looking at OCZ Platinum
GTX285 Video card - One initially but would like to add another when I'm able
300GB Velociraptor 10K RPM SATA HDD - already have a 250gb 7200 RPM SATA drive to use as a secondary and may add a third to use as a backup drive
Dual-Layer DVD Burner
Floppy Drive/Card Reader
Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse - current mouse
Logitech G15 Keyboard - current keyboard
Envision 22" Widescreen Monitor - 1680x1050 native - plan to upgrade to at least a 1920x1080/1200
Windows Vista 64 bit

I want to make sure I pick one that will provide enough power in case i decide to add the second video card and third drive plus leave me enough leeway in case I decide to try my hand at a little overclocking.

Also, does everything else I've chosen look ok as far as compatibility goes?

I'm purchasing from NewEgg.com so I'm looking for a recommendation from something they have available.

Any advice would be appreciated!

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Since you want to keep the option of adding another GPU, the minimum you should consider is 750W.

Quality maker like: Corsair, Enermax, PC P&C, Seasonic, all make 750w models.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
I say 850tx, 750 is too low for my tastes. This is something that a lot of people will debate though. Some people might tell you you need a 1000w, others will tell you 650 will be fine.

We're all in agreement today :) PSU size does get debated though.

I don't really recommend Enermax. The opinion among the experts is that they test really well, but fail after about a year. The only time I recommend them is when the most silent PSU is needed.

It's really hard to compete with the 850TX for value and quality. It's actually a better PSU than the 750TX, regardless of wattage, and is only a bit more.

With a 560W max load, if you want the best, get an Antec Signature PSU. That GPU needs both 8-pin and 6-pin connections, so you'd need to use the included adapters if you get two of them with the Signature 650W model, but you'll have enough juice. That PSU has been tested to over 800W.
If you go Corsair however, get the 750 rather than the 850. I don't remember the site, but just last week I read a technical review that found some problems with the 850; I think it was noise, but don't remember. The 750 was solid though.

At Jonny Guru, the 750TX got a respectable 8.5 for performance:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=73

However, the 850TX scored a 9.5 for it's superior regulation:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=73

"Not only did it hold the rails more stable than little brother TX750 did, it also managed to beat it in almost every other meaningful way."

Hardocp wasn't quite as glowing, but still gave it high marks:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU5OCw5LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

OC3D as well:
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/power_supply/corsair_tx850w_atx_psu/5
Although they don't quite have the equipment of the other two.

I didn't find anything at Anandtech, so not sure what you saw. I don't know of many that really test the units right.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005

Antec signature are nice indeed but they are pricey......

PC & C 750 W is another very good choice.

TedEBearNC

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks for the input all! I will keep your suggestions in mind.

I did a quick search on the Corsair 850TX and came across several mentions of loose heatsink screws, perhaps that's what it was you saw mentioned.

I was thinking of going modular for decreasing clutter. I was looking at the Xigmatek 850W which seems to have a good rating and good reviews other than it's a bit louder than most. Was also looking at the Silverstone (750/850) and the Zamlan (750/850). I've heard Silverstone is supposed to be good and the Zalman 850 has good reviews other than it doesn't have an on/off switch.

Any opinions on those?

You need to be very careful about where you get your reviews. Only a few sites properly test PSUs. It requires quite a bit of knowledge and some sophisticated equipment.

An SLI rig and a voltmeter don't cut it ;)