Please help i7 920 build.. This is too much.

nimdivino

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Hello,
I am really out of ideas now and I hope you guys can help me out. I've been trying to build an i7 920 PC for my HD editing system and I still can't get it to run properly.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
Memory: Patriot DDR3 4GB
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
Hard Drive # 1 Samsung 250 GB
Hard Drive # 2 Samsung 250 GB
Hard Drive # 3 Seagate 1.5 TB
Power Supply: Antec 750W
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
Sound: Card onboard
Monitor: 2 19inch Samsung 940 BX
Operating System: Windows XP (32 bit) Service Pack 2

After two two motherboards and two power-supplies, I was able to install windows xp 32 bit service pack 2. Please note that I only installed 1 of the 3 HDs that I have. Installed the motherboard and GEForce drivers. Everything was running fine. Until I hooked-up 1 of the Samsung SATA 250GB hard-drive just now.

First thing I noticed that it took a little longer to go to POST, and then in the middle of xp loading (Windows XP logo) I saw a blue-screen (its impossible to read anything because it happens so fast) and the computer will restart. After the restart, it will go to part where I can choose "safe mode", "last known configuration", etc. This cycle will happen everytime I choose "start windows normally".

However, if I choose safe mode, windows xp safe mode will boot-up like there's nothing wrong.

I figured there's something wrong with the hard-drive that I just connected so I removed the connections (sata cable and power) and started it up again. The problem is still there. Now whatever I do, I get the same cycle and I have no clue what happened.

When the computer was running, I ran it for about an hour. I installed all the drivers without hiccups..

Any ideas please? I'm getting crazy here. lol.

Thank you in advance for your time.

niM

nimdivino

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
And also, I have 4GB (2 sticks) of RAM installed. But how come when the computer was running, I was only reading 2GBs?? Are there settings in BIOS I need to change?

Thank you again

niM

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Buying 2 sticks wasn't a good idea. Your processor supports tri-channel so is a better idea to have 3 sticks not 2. Second of all your windows should be on 64 bit NOT 32 bit to be able to recognize all 4 Gb.

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
The very first thing a serious Windows user should do on a newly installed operating system is this:

a) Click Start; enter "sysdm.cpl" in the Run box and hit Enter

b) Click the "Advanced" tab, and then under Startup and Recovery, click Settings

c) Uncheck the "Automatically restart" option.

Next time you BSOD, instead of restarting immediately, the PC will wait for you to manually power off or reset, giving you the opportunity to see exactly what happened.

PS: Yes, you can do this while running in Safe Mode.

nimdivino

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Hello guys,
Thank you very much for your responses..

Just an FYI: About an hour after I posted my problem, I turned my computer on and what do you know, it turned-on like there was nothing wrong with it with the 3 HARD DRIVES installed. From here, I was able to partition and format the 2 other drives.

I did a one restart, it restarted fine. Then I shut-it-off, waited couple of minutes before turning it back-on and poof, I get the same problem.

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
First step to do is to make sure you have all the new drivers and updates so go to Gigabyte website and download all the new drivers including Bios. Also go to Device manager and check to see if you have any device without proper driver.

nimdivino

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Hefox:
I am trying to stay with Windows XP 32 bit because I don't have xp 64. And also I have Adobe CS3. Adobe CS4 supports 64 bit OS but I can't afford that yet so I'm sticking with CS3.

I will eventually upgrade to 64 bit. The plan was to build a system that will use my existing softwares but eventually upgrade once Windows 7 is available.

Are you saying that Windows XP can only handle a max of 2GB of RAM? I thought it was 4GB?

darthvidor :
No, I haven't updated my BIOS yet. I'm looking for an update as I type.

55795642:
Thank you for the tip. I'm changing it as soon as I get to boot-up and will post results..

Guys, I just realized that there is a section about computer build, so I will post my problem there.. Please if you have more suggestions, please respond there.

Thank you very much..

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Actually is 3.12 Gb. Also all your 32 bit applications will run fine on 64 bit Windows so you can still use Adobe cs3.
You can test if the problem is from the ram memory by taking out one stick and use only one with the 32 bit OS.

nimdivino

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
gkay09:
I've never looked at specs of memory before so I'm just going to type up the things I see in the box.

Patriot Viper PC3-12800
1600 MHz
4GB (2X2 GB) Kit
Low Cas 7-7-7-20
DDR3

I hope I typed the info you need. What is the number you are looking for?

Here's a link for it... http://a-power.com/product-9918-0-1

--- That is exactly the reason why I chose 4GB instead of 3x2GB memory kit. It was cheaper. I only have $2000 budget and that includes a 19inch HD TV and HDMI capture card. Actually, I think I already past my budget. lol

hefox:
Its nice to know that my apps will work with 64 bit. I guess I'm just trying to avoid headaches because my other computer runs perfectly with XP and CS3.

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
You should check for the voltaje in bios for the ram memory. If everything is on default and you didn't modify anything, then it should be fine but just to make sure. I understand you perfectly about xp. I also use xp and I am wait for Windows 7 to go to 64 bit. Still if you have the oportunity to install XP on 64 bit without spending any money, do it.

The RAM runs at 1.9V...And if am not wrong, the RAM slots on the X58 supply only 1.65V(intel specified)...So the memory is not getting enough power, that can cause the PC to crash/ shutdown...
If you can check that memory in any other i7 PC, and see what happens, that could clear things out...
And that RAM was not designed for the i7...

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
Just looked up that memory you linked. It is 1.9V to run at 1600MHZ speed. What speed are You running it? You will either need to drop speed or increase voltage manually. I would not run it higher then 1.7V due to i7 integrated memory controller.
Or You might want to get new memory.

nimdivino

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Guys, thank you so much.. It was indeed the RAM. One of the RAMs was bad. I followed your guy's advise and get 3x2GB Patiot RAM kit that is designed for i7 (under 1.6) and its running wonderfully now.

I'm trying to install this card called intensity pro, but it needs XP SP3 for 32bit. Well I don't have that so it looks like I'll be installing a XP 64 and use all my memory. =)

Thank you once again guys for helping me out. I really appreciate it. I learned alot about the new technologies on PCs during this build.

niM

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

I'm running same MB, same RAM (but 3 x 2gb). Make sure your two DIMMS are in the correct slots for dual DDR mode. Next time you boot, go into BIOS and enable XMP mode. I also have a drive with XP SP3, no issues running with 6GB, except only 4GB is visible to the OS, and there is only ~3GB available to apps... (I have a 1GB GPU).

Your ram will run at 1.65, as advertised. If you use the default settings (no XMP) it will run at 1.5v, 800MHZ.

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007

The XP SP3 will download from MS update. Do that then add the equipment or software you want.

TRENDING THREADS