Just installed Corsair H50 Cooling system..how do I know its working?

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I have Rampage II Extreme MB with I7 930 processor (nothing special).

Looking to OC it, preferably to 3.8-4.0 ghz.

Already OC'd it with stock cooler, but I was reluctant to run any strain tests on it in fear it would fry it...So I Went out and bought Corsair H50 cpu water cooling system. (which was a real u-know-what to install, I didnt realize that the other side of my case had an opening to access the rear part of the CPU motherboard until AFTER I unscrewed, then removed everything, and installed the blackplate. lol)

Now I install cooler, and run x20 test with it @ 360 Mhz. As the test persists, it eerily eeks it's way closer and closer to 90C, going back and forth at times (when a load is breifly taken off of it) to 67C, 68C, then right back up to 90C... I dont remember exactly what it reached but it was very near TJ Max levels twoard the end.

What I'd like to know is, I thought with this great cooler I'd have temps well under control.. well under perhaps 80C on full load... Did I install it correctly? How do u know for sure if you've installed an aftermarket cooling system right (particularly this one)??

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Hi Friend, I just built my first and have the same cooler on an asrock x58 mobo core i7. I'm getting idle temps of 35/41 c and am a little concerned. Your temps sound like what I get when I run Prime95 for 8 hours. If those are your temps at stock speed or a small oc their way high. Maybe the cooler isn't installed correctly or you have to much or to little thermal paste. Check out some vids on utube you probably can find instructional vids for both these things. good luck let us know how ya do.

Your temps are too high. Either you installed it incorrectly, or the pump isn't working and you are cooling by convection. Not good.

IMO, these self contained units are nothing but trouble. Their fans are connected to the mobo, so the mobo thinks the cooling fan is running, even when the pump fails. Worse, as you are seeing yourself, evrything looks fine from the outside too, but its not cooling - and you don't know why.

Use a high quality air cooler. They aren't "cool", but many cool better than the H50, or the H70.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
i think before you go out and buy new coolers make sure the one u have is installed correctly. Cooler master is a good product. you might not have the best but your temps wouldn't be that bad with the stock cooler. like I said earlier check out utubes.

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

I ve already re-set it 4 times. I've purchased 3 more fans, one of which I implemented using the push/pull configuration for the radiator.. So I dunno whats up with this thing... It's idiling at mid-40's now.. Running 21x @191 = 3.99 mhz, at 1.19v. Does this sound any better or is it still high?

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

No, 40C when my CPU is doing nothing/normal desktop usage/web browsing, etc. That sound kinda high? I dunno what else to do!! Ive already reset this damn thing 4-5 times now... Im starting to think I got a bunk unit... =(

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
If I did any stress test on it at all I know it would hit 90-100C in no time. I m beginng to care less about these stress tests and more concerned with the stability and temp rage during gameplay. As long as its stable and temps are acceptable during Mafia II, Gears of War, etc.. Im happy. No game out there puts a 100% load on any cpu, 100% of the time. So what is the test for, really?

J_Sparrow

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
something does not sound right, you should not be getting temps that high.

OK so you have reseated it a few times. I wonder if you have the pump on? My guess is iether it's still not installed properly (seriously read the manual there maybe something you missed).

could be that you have used wrong bracket, or its not screw in tightly enough to the board.

you've not taken off the sticker that protects the plate that touches the chip ?

where did you plug the pump in?

-edit-

On the Corsair water cooling, it is designed to have the fan/radiator on the "OUTSIDE" of your case.
It does this to draw cooler air into the radiator.

-2nd edit-

are any of the pipes kinked?

-3rd edit- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUxoFiFuS_g

4th -edt-

Your fan header for the pump might be throttled. in which case the waters moving too slow

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Thanka for the help jsparrow i appreciate it. I guess the throttling issue is my last troubleshooting attempt. I assre you ive installed it 100% perfect as shown. I have asus rampage ii xtreme motherbd and theres fan 3pin connectors all over the place. I have no idea which ones are throttled and which ones r not. Thry r labeled OPT_FAN 1, 2, 3 etc.. One says PWR_OPT, which i have no idea what that means. Therefore ive decided to connect it directly to my corsair hx850 psu via molex to 3 pin converter.. That way its ensured to get 100% power at all times. Wish me luck... Thanks again

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah thats what im thinking. Thinking of getting top of theline air cooler rather than water type system. I dread disconnecting all this crap if it doesnt work. Uggghhhh...... Just tell me, what should my idle, just sitting there doing nothing, temp be, at about 1.2 volts?

J_Sparrow

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
around 33C or so, but can vary depending on room temp. At load even with a low to medium over-clock you should get around 60C roughly. For it to be gradually getting higher and higher leads me to believe that the pumps not pushing the water round. or there is a block or kink in one of the pipes.

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Well i dunno because the tubes arent that long and they are pretty stiffed, wrapped in a thick layer of plastic, so each tube leads directly to and fro the radiator with absilutely no obstruction/kink.... Writing from iphonr so exuse the spelling :). Im hoping the molex trick will work...

If you cannot complete the stress tests, you haven't completed the build. It's that simple. At best, your PC will not last long. At worst, it will burn out soon.

But you don't need to do the stress tests at this point - you already know your build isn't working and is in danger.

1) Did you peel the plastic sheet off the heat sink before attaching it?

2) Did you apply enough paste, but not so much it has become insulation?

3) When you grab the heat sink and try to "wobble" it, does it stay put?

4). Are each of the heat sink's four connectors attached firmly through the board?

5) Is the fan spinning fast enough now?

6) Can you feel the pump running, circulating water, when you touch it?

7) Can you feel warm air on the exhaust side of the radiator?

J_Sparrow

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I really what your H50 to work, cos theres nothing worse then paying hard earned cash for hardware that does not work out the box. I'd be ranting and raving by now mate. Dont suppose you live in the UK, cos I have a Kandalf water cooling case for sale.

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Ok, just did the molex switch and still seeing idle temps around 45C. Did a 7 min LinX test, unfortunately I had speedfan running at the time so u cant see the temp max, but it hit 75C and stabilized there, going down, but never higher throughout the test. I also included a shot from CPU-Z so you can see cpu speeds and voltages.

And yes, I had case open and I felt tubes getting warmer as test progressed as well as hot air coming out of the fan exhausting the radiator heat... Does this bench test appear to be normal? Should I increase BLCK speeds and multiplier and try at higher GHz speed and see results? Im almost sure they'll surpass 75C.

So what do you advise sparrow?? Thanks man.. no, unfortunately I live down in south florida (miami).. but I am about to return the H50 to CompUSA where I bought it and get an expensive air cooler.

EDIT: Oh sorry, to answer ur questions is yes I put the correct amount of thermal paste, 2 yes removed plastic covering 3 yes it is FIRMLY in place, firm connection with CPU. no pipes are kinked and I do feel heat like i said.. tubes gradually become warmer as stress test progresses...

J_Sparrow

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
ok then, some progress. next then check your fans, i made the mistake (for about 1 minute) with my awesome Cool Master v6gt that i'd put both fans facing iinto the chip rather then pull/push. So double check that, and make sure through speedfan that they are maxed out. 75C is hot so dont over clock, 75C is about absolute max you would wanna go.
whast your ambient temp, florida is a hot place. you got air con?

-edit-
What Voltage you got into your CPU?

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Ok, just ran this LinX test for approx 7 mins:

As you can see, OC'd to 3.8Ghz @ 1.25V... RealTemp shows temps reached 91C max. Ambient temp around 76F (central air conditioned).

Fans are properly positioned in push-pull configuration, heard pump spool up during test, and tubes got hot, as well as felt hot air coming thru the exhaust fan mounted on the radiator.

I've also installed the "auxillary" fan that comes with the Rampage II motherboard, which states that only use when utilzing water-cooled system. It's a small fan that mounts one of the heat sinks by the CPU housing. Went into BIOS, and ovverode the fanspeeds all to 90% load, as opposed to set to AUTO. So I think I've done all I can for now. Now its just a decision on whether or not to return the H50. Just checked the temp and its at 48C as Im writing this. If you say this is abnormal or way too high then its most definitely a problem with the cooler. What do u think??

EDIT: I noticed you advised not to OC from here, but unfortunately I already did prior to reading ur post, sorry I couldnt resist.. I thought I may have seen some better temps than 91C.

J_Sparrow

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
try 3.6GHz, unless your running 2 high end graphics cards then you wont benefit from that high clock speed unless your intend to run prime95 24/7 lol.

I believe your fans are meant to pull air into the case rather then blow it out, but i could be wrong, I vaguely remember reading a review here it does make a diference.

also have you got a side panel fan pulling air in form outside over your cpu are?

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Well, yesterday when I had my OC @ 4.01GHz Mafia II ran like a DREAM, definitely notecable difference between stock (2.8Ghz) and the OC'd speed, unfortunately I had the volts @ 1.4, which was VERY high.. I immediately lowered them...

I Will go down to 3.6Ghz, and lower the voltage to 1.2 or hopefully 1.18 (stable)

When I said I was feeling the hot air I meant on the INSIDE of the computer (case is open).... I have one fan positioned on the BACK of the case, on one side of the rad, sucking air in, and on the other side, blowing OUT (which is INSIDE the comp) This is the air I was referring to , which was hot during testings. I have a giant fan on the very top of the case blowing air OUT, and just installed two INTAKE 120MM fans mounted on the side... Pretty interesting setup, although Im not sure its proving to effective at this point..

So, what do you think about the temps? I ve been doing some reading on the other boards and some ppl with the i7 920 are reporting max temps of 67-70C!! some with the STOCK cooler lol... they also say anything above 85C is the danger zone, so to speak... here is the thread I was reading from http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256908-28-what-maximum-temperature-stock-core ...

So, begs the question, should I , or should I not detach this H50 and exchange it??

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Just ran a quick 3dmark06 test at current 3.8 OC.. Here's results.. The 91C temp was from the stress test ran prior... Wasnt from the 3dmark test..

So what do you think? I dont think the H50 is doing its job properly, but, on the other hand, if the system remains stable and I can game/use comp 24/7 without issues I guess It doesnt really make a difference... However, i absolutely do not want to inflict any harm upon it by hitting these abnormal temps, but then again how often do CPU loads reach 100%? Not very often, and if they do, they tend to drop quickly.

Will a idle 47C damage anything in the long-run ? Thats probably my main concern.