BAH! How do you remove SwiftShader 2.0 out of a game?!

mike12nite

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
a few months back I put Swif Shader in Team Fortress 2, now I have a better graphics card and don't want it, how do I remove it? I forgot what files I put in the Team fortress 2 folder to get Swift Shader 2 on it, so I tried deleting and removing all TF2 files and reinstalling it and when I loaded TF2 again, there's the annoying Swift Shader logo. How do I remove Swift Shader out of a game?

Try to uninstall the program from your PC using the uninstaller. (Add /Remove programs) This is the way you uninstall anything, never simply start deleting things, as the installation will still be resident in the registry, and starts you down a long list of complications.
I am not sure how Windows will react, since this apparently is a program that replaces Microsofts' Direct X runtime. You may have to completely reinstall Direct X once you uninstall Swiftshader, possibly even reinstall Windows to get everything working correctly again.

c0d1f1ed

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
You need to remove SwiftShader's d3d9.dll file. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<account name>\team fortress 2\bin\, or just do a search for d3d9.dll in your Steam folder.