Safe to keep computer OC'd 24/7??

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Hello,

I have i7 930 currently running stable overclock @4.02Ghz. Also have Rampage II Extreme MB, with newly-installed Corsair H50 water cooling system.

My question is, which may be a bit simplistic, is it safe to keep OC settings 24/7, during normal computer usage, such as web browsing, desktop usage, word processing, etc. Its running about 50-55C @ idle... I realize that any sort of OCing can shorten the lifespan of the CPU, simply because of the greater heat generation and wear on the components. However, if this in the long run is negligible (in other words, CPU may last another 6 months alltogether if NOT OC'd 24/7) then I could care less.

On the other hand, if it significantly shortens the life of the computer overall then I'll only OC during gameplay or when I need performance boost.

I've already ran 3dMark06 test and scored 25544 with CPU score of 6909. The system was stable during the whole run. However, when torture testing system (prime95, etc.) CPU core0 temps quickly reach 100C at which point I immediately stop the testing. I dont feel comfortable with any temps higher than the tj max value.

Any responses are appreciated.

Hard to say, really, but most overclockers keep some sort of OC 24/7. With your OC it's pretty high but seems ok... Idle temps are high to me (compared to my i5 750 at 39C idle). Actually, you shouldn't be hitting 100C. I'm thinking either you've got way too much voltage going through or else your heat sink is either in need of a remount or else maybe the H50 just can't keep that CPU cool. From reviews I've read, it's only equivalent to a middle of the road air cooler (mostly due to the small rad).

I suppose it really depends on what your usage is. If you're a gamer, IMO a 4ghz+ OC is pointless. If you want to keep your CPU fast but also extend it's life, try to OC with turbo, EIST, C1E, and C States all enabled. It'll lower the OC a bit but it really brings a lot of useful features. I've had my i5 a 4ghz, but for 24/7 I'm running a 176 base clock with turbo on for 3.71ghz up to 4.25ghz turbo. My temps are only 69C at full load with a Zalman CNPS10X Extreme. Also, if you attempt it, IMO it's best to run with LLC off (ie: Vdroop occurs) because under full core usage you need less voltage for the lower clocks, and it will allow a little more voltage at the faster speeds. Doing this I found dropped my temps 2 or 3C from when I had LLC on.

If you really want to have 4ghz (funny how that's the "magic number" everyone aims for) I'd first start by trying to lower the voltage and bring down those load temps. You really shouldn't be over 75C at the absolute tops for safety.

What exactly are your current voltages? Vcore and VTT/IMC specifically.

Intel states (http://www.intel.com/design/corei7/documentation.htm):
Absolute Maxiums:
Vcore: 1.55V
VTT: 1.35V
Tcase max is only 67.9C

Honestly tho, I can't see this OC netting you any benefits if you're gaming on this rig. Anything that supports multi threading, on this 4 core, HT monster, even just 3ghz will remove any bottlenecks. At worst you'll be running an older game that is only single threaded, and even then the bottleneck at 3ghz will still get you far over 60fps.

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Thanks for the speedy response, Wolfram.

Strangely enough, I was using RealTemp as my factor to guage temps, however, I closed it out a min ago and fired up Speedfan. Aparently, speedfan has a DRASTICALLY lower idle temp.. which can be seen here

I've ran several demanding games for over an hour without any problems. Everything seems to be running fine, I even completed a 3dmark06 test, here

.. With no issues to speak of. Also, as far as I'm aware in my BIOS I currently do have both Turbo on and HT on. Constantly V. seems to be around 1.4, which obviously i'd like to lower. Not sure about VTT/IMC, but I'll do a reboot a bit find them for you..

What would you advise me do? Is Corsair H50 doing it's job correctly? I may need to reseat it, I think I may have done a lousy job the 1st go round. (I didnt know it at the time, but I stupiditily left the factory thermal paste on the heatsink and applied my own over the CPU I cleaned with alcohol.. I know, stupid, huh?? Turns out I should've wiped them both clean, then proceed with planting it in place. (which was quite cumbersom and difficult to do with the main fitting it goes into, BTW)..

Thanks!

I'd be thoroughly impressed that you can get turbo to work at a 200 base clock, that's insanity! By the looks of it I don't think it is on, since Turbo generally runs at 21x normally and yours is showing 20x. You need to have the multiplier set to auto for it to actually take effect, setting it to 20 won't work (althought, I actually found using 21x, with EIST on auto as well, seemed to enable turbo boost regardless of if it was actually on or off).

Anyway, idling at 37C is very reasonable. I'm wondering if you might run another temp program tho, since two are giving such drastic differences. RealTemp is high, SpeedFan low, maybe HWMonitor and/or Core Temp will at the least confirm which temps are right. Aside from that, it's way more important to know what your load temps are than your idle temps.

I'm not surprised you'd need 1.4V for 4ghz with HT on, my i5 at 4ghz is around 1.36V I think and 1.22 VTT/IMC. Somewhere in that neighborhood.

Sounds like a remount is in order. I don't have experience on the H50 so I can't really say what sort of temps you should be seeing, however, it does sound like there's going to be too much paste on there. Generally speaking you only need the equivalent of a small green pea of TIM. I find when I remove my cooler, the center is mostly metal-on-metal with small amounts of TIM filling gaps (I lapped my CPU and HS - the TIM in the middle part actually looks like frost crystals) and the edges tend to have a little more TIM. You can increase the H50 performance with either higher flow fans and/or have 2 fans in push-pull.

nvidiafanboi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
@ wolfram23

you say to use turbo C1E ect. but do you keep your vcore on auto? and im sure when i change my multiplier those options dissapear. i would like to use your method of a low oc and turbo'd for gaming but am a little unsure how to achieve it.

I always manually adjust Vcore and VTT/IMC voltages as those two are what will govern both heat and stability. As a general rule, VTT/IMC should be around 0.1 to 0.2V less than Vcore, although it doesn't have to be. The gist of it is that VTT/IMC has to go up to support a higher base clock, while Vcore has to go up to support CPU speed.

For a turbo OC you must use Auto multiplier. With a manual multiplier you should definitely still be able to set C1E and C states, and I believe EIST as well, but turbo will not be an option.

In my experience so far, the highest base clock possible with turbo on is at the absolute most 180. I'm guessing you want to run your 1600mhz RAM as fast as possible, right? What I am doing, is running my 1600mhz CL8 RAM at 1412mhz CL7, which is actually slightly faster because 1412 is as fast as I can possibly run it at CL7, any more mhz and it's unstable and needs more voltage or a higher latency.

To get my RAM at 1412 I'm using a 177 base clock, turbo enabled. IIRC it's 1.336V LLC off and 1.21 or 1.22 VTT/IMC, but this is on an i5 750 so you might need a bit more voltage for Hyper Threading.

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Oh good nfo, will definitely manually set my VTT instead of auto.. who knows what the comp defaults it to... speaking of C1E, is this option better to have enabled or disabled for 24/7 usage?

My current OC is 4.01 Ghz @ 1.27v, with 21x multi and 191 bclk... Highest I can set my RAM to is 1543, not so far away from the 1600-mark... thanks for the valuable info once again!! Hey, refer to this thread on a different forum to see my current setup, really interesting... Im the OP BTW..