New system, a few case questions

Scou

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Hey, first time poster here. Found this board and it seems pretty good.

Anyway, I'm planning on building a new system. I'm planning on going pretty high end, but not over the top. Like, I'll probably be going for a GTX 295(maybe a 285), but I'm not going to SLI. Anyway, right now I just need some help with case issues (I'm sure I'll be back to ask other questions later). I'm trying to figure out exactly what case I want. For me, quite is very important, but I'm not stupid and I know that cooling has to come first. I don't really care how it looks, so that would come last (as a matter of fact, I'd prefer to avoid lights).

So I've been looking around and had a few places point out the Cooler Master ATCS 840 and the Cooler Master HAF 932 among other things. The 840 seems to get a lot of positive reviews. The only issue I found is that one or two places mentioned that since its got a lot more venting then intake it has a negative pressure which can be bad for graphics card fans. So I'm wondering if this is really a issue, or if they're just overreacting. Haven't run into to many reviews of the 932.

So really, is there other options I should be looking at? Or any other advice that anyone feels like throwing at me?

Lastly, as I said, I'm aiming for high end, but I've looked at things, and know that it's unlikely that I'll ever have more then four hard drives (it'll start out with two) or two external drives, MAYBE three. So, do I even need to be getting a full tower? Most of the mid towers I see seem to be aimed at cheaper systems. Is there any mid towers that still have good cooling for a high end system? Or should I just focus on a full tower? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for all the help.

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Antec 900 mid tower or Antec 1200 full tower are really good, that 932 cooler master haf isn't a bad one either.

WD Black 640gb really good HDD.

for more space theres a 1tb wd black.

would you like to see a list?

The kid, is this true?
Only problem i see is the lower power supply mount. You cannot invert the rear plate, this makes 95% of the power supplies installed have the fan pointed down. This makes most power supplies make a tad bit of noise due to the fan having to push a little harder and there is not as good of air flow from the bottom up, so it starves the PS of air. Something i haven't researched at any. My Centurion 590 is the same way.

Scou

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
K, I'm really getting attached to the Cosmos cases. So at the least I can be pretty sure that I'll end up getting some type of CoolerMaster, since thats everything I'm really looking at.

The only thing is there seems to be a few large issues that I've seen some people bring up. On the Cosmos 1000, a few people mentioned that their hard drives don't get enough cooling. The airflow seems to be supposed to come up through the bottom and there's a spot for a fan on the top so I'm wondering if putting a fan there fixes any issues and these people didn't realize that.

On the Cosmos S, quite a few people mentioned that the side fan gets in the way and has to be taken off. And the only replacement is a clear side piece.

In the end, I really like the Cosmos S, especially the fact that its got a fan right on the hard drives, and the I/O panel setup on the top is really nice. But the closed sides, especially with the soundproofing material, on the Cosmos 1000 grab me too. (Man, they just need to let me take half from one and half from the other.) So anyone have any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions for me? I'm still open to other case ideas entirely, but I am really liking the Cosmos. Thanks again for the help.

Scou

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Ok, so now I'm looking at the HAF 932 and the ATCS 840 again. I guess I'm really indecisive (or maybe just not sure). Those two and the two Cosmos cases have ups and downs to me. I get really attached to features sometimes and forgot about function, so what I really need to look at is which have the best cooling, and the best silence.

Also, well lights and LED fans are cool sometimes, I know there's times when I'd prefer not to have them. So is it possible to turn of the LED's on the fans, or just not hook them up? Or are they tied into the fan power? (I know, a gamer that doesn't want LED's, I'm weird).

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
member, the 932 points the psu down blowing air underneath the computer, so if you were to get it, id sit it in a nice position to where it can create good airflow or it would have to use up extra power just to push air out or pull it in. w/e a psu does.

Scou

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I think all of them point the PSU down, It seems to be CoolerMaster's thing. I don't think I'd have to much of an issue with that though.

big cases dont necessarily run cooler .

if two cases have the same number of fans , but one is twice the internal volume it will have lower average air speed .

or to put it another way have fan blowing in to a house and another one sucking out and you wont even feel the air move
have the same two fans in a box and the air flow is obvious

The only advantage of bigger cases is that theres more room to work in and maybe more places to mount fans

Good point, but the 2 antec cases have several fans in the front pushing the air straight out the back with a fan sucking it out the back. The HAF has 3 230mm fans blowing from front, side and top out the back. Great airflow.

I probably should have made it clearer I was making a general comment to the OP .

Size isnt a good indicator or whether a case cools well or not . Air flow is about all that matters , and big fans if you want it run quietly.

fruees

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
@Outlander: True, but given that we're talking about a gaming system, the hardware is larger and requires extra space. No point in super fast moving air if there aren't many places for it to reach. Given the OP isn't planning to SLI, the Antec 900 mark 2 willl be the best bang for buck, but the Ancte 1200 will keep it cooler (2 more fans) so possibly better if OP decides to overclock on air

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
For quiet performance the 932 HAF will be the best, I find the Antec 900 to be a little loud, but the 230mm's on the HAF will push a lot for just a little noise, I would recommend it for your circumstances. And it only has one LED.

IC, my fault. I thought you were talking about the airflow in one of the above antecs or haf.

Scou

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks for the help. I think I've realized that as much as I like it, its the featurs not the function on the Cosmos S I like. The 932 seems to be the most common choice, all though I really do like the looks of the Cosmos 1000.

One question, since I've never actually used a fan with an LED on it before. Are they tied directly into the fan power? Or is it possible to turn them off? (Not a HUGE deal, but it would be nice.)