Computer Gives 1 Long beep followed by 4 short beeps than turns off

dlim

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
My computer was working fine about 2 weeks ago. Then I stored it at my friend's apartment because I was moving apartments. I finally set it back up a few days ago and when I tried to turn it on it'd beep and turn off.

What happens is:

When I press the power button the computer turns on and instantly turns off after (all the lights come on, I hear the fans run, but then it turns off).
After ~1 second, it turns back on and runs for 3-4 seconds. There is then 1 long beep followed by 4 short beeps and then the computer turns off.

My specs are as follows:

Abit AV8 mobo
AMD X2 3800+
Sapphire ATI HD3850 AGP 8x card
4gb memory

I've tried taking the video card out and starting it w/out it to see if it was the problem, but the same problem continues. I took out the memory and put them back in incase it might've bumped loose, but same problem.

Thanks in advance guys!

leo2kp

Distinguished
Take out all but one stick of RAM and try it again. Try a different stick after that. Move them to different slots and try again. If you can safely say that RAM isn't the issue, then it's possible that the board or CPU is damaged. Also, check your power connections. Could be PSU related too. Process of elimination :)

dlim

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
I tested each stick of ram, nothing changed. I'm thinking it might be the mobo that might have just died out on me. It's about 6 years old and basically been used 6+ hours a day everyday. I don't think it's the PSU because then the computer shouldn't even turn on at all, right? Unless I'm wrong.

gcortes

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

There should be an explanation in the MB documentation as to what the series of beeps mean. My ASUS one has it. Of course, the explanation may be too vague to be of any help.

I just lost my power supply. It did turn on, but didn't get as far as you did in the startup. When I put the new one in, I forgot to connect the smaller power cable to the MB. It would start for a second and then stop. You might double check you connections.

Good luck,
Curt