Who makes the best power supply?

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
I have seen many brands recommended. But if you are going to spend the money, who is the best? PC Power and Cooling?

I am considering these:

1200W
other 1200W
860W
other 860W

Not sure what the $20 difference is on the two models?

I want to but something that will last me for years. Not sure if I want to go for the big dog and be done with it or not... But we are talking twice the money for power I may never need, not to mention the noise.

Looking at a couple of nvidia 285's, maybe tri one day, or two of the next gen cards when they come out?

What would you guys recommend?

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Corsair and PC Power & Cooling make the best ones going in terms of reliability and huge warranties (I think OCZ and Antec are up there too, but not 100% sure)

If you want something with high power output that's insanely reliable and quiet, I'm going to plug the one that I've got - Corsair HX1000.

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
What about seasonic? REading through the jonny guru reviews and the 750 pc power and cooling was decent, but the 750 seasonic was better... Any other good sites for power supply reviews? jonny doesn't have the ones I'm looking at(haven't checked for the corsair yet).

Thanks!

It gets a little crazy with power supplies. Most companies do not manufacture their own power supplies. There are only a few manufacturers who make power supplies for other companies. For example, Corsair has an excellent reputation for high quality, high performance psu's. However, Corsair does not make the psu's. Some of their psu's are actually made for them by Seasonic. Seasonic is a manufacturer that makes and sells psu's under their own brand name. They also make psu's for other companies such as Corsair. Sometimes companies have a manufacturer make psu's for them and then later they switch and have a different manufacturer make the same model for them.

There is another problem. Companies are constantly introducing new models. It is difficult to keep up with technical reviews and comparisons. A lot of companies had bad reputations for low budget, low quality, low performance psu's. There has been a change lately. A few of those companies are starting to offer better psu's.

Seasonic, Corsair, and PC Power & Cooling all offer high quality psu's. According to technical reviews and comparisons there are some new psu's offered by other companies that are just as good.

jonnyguru.com has a lot of technical reviews of psu's. You may want to take a look at some of the newer models.

I'll agree with this one - PC Power and Cooling is good, but you might want to look into the Corsair HX1000 as well. It has a larger fan than the 1200W PC Power and Cooling models that you are looking at, so it is probably quieter, it is modular, and it is absolutely rock solid, even powering my rather power hungry rig.

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Thanks. Will the HX1000 fit into a antec p182?

I bought the p182 gearing up for my build but held off. It's been sitting in a box for a few months, too late to return to newegg. I guess I could try to sell it or something if the power supply is too big.

mrmez

Splendid
PCP&C and Corsair get my votes.
That being said there are plenty of other very good brands out there. Chances are if u are asking a question like "what is the best..." you dont actually NEED the best.
Im using a Corsair 850w odd something or other.

nickhoff

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I use the Corsair 1000HX and it is amazing. Good luck finding one in stock though, unless you go through a resaler who jacks up the price.