Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Outraged at AMD. Anyone else ever suffered from this?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Blue Screen
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
May 21, 2009 3:36:05 PM

I am completely disappointed in AMD this time around. I am now under the conclusion that i have a non-overclockable cpu. After all this hype and great reviews, my Phenom 8650 won't overlock even just a little. An increase by 1 FSB results in the eventual BSOD. I'm just curious to know how many other people suffer from this same problem. I mean c'mon now, i've even tried 2 different motheboards and nothing. :( 

More about : outraged amd suffered

May 21, 2009 3:48:54 PM

Umm, when did you read a great review of the PhenomI? The good chips are the PhenomII.
May 21, 2009 4:12:30 PM

Well when the tri-cores originally came out place like neoseeker were boasting 3Ghz 8750 and such which is a 600 megahertz improvement for it. So yeah, i was hoping i could atleast push the 8650 to 2.7Ghz which at this point it won't even go past stock. I've never owned a processor that refuses to overclock even a little. I mean heck, if my Athlon 3800+ pushed to 2.7, then why can't this newer model when other people have been able to do so.

Yes shame on them. Chip doesn't work as marketed but does work as advertised. You market overclock ability, then there should have been some. Heck even the motherboard companies market it.
Related resources
May 21, 2009 4:16:09 PM

So, by what method were you trying to overclock? Which parameters, exactly, did you try changing and to what values?
May 21, 2009 4:21:20 PM

I increased the FSB and have even tried lowering the multiplier in the BIOS by manual setting. Even if all settings are stock and I increase the FSB by a single digit, it will boot but eventually give me:

"A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval"- BSOD
May 21, 2009 4:29:23 PM

cutlass81 said:

Yes shame on them. Chip doesn't work as marketed but does work as advertised. You market overclock ability, then there should have been some. Heck even the motherboard companies market it.

By your comments about how you are distressed about marketing we can surmise that you have the black edition with the unlocked multiplier.

So then we have to ask: why are you attempting to increase the FSB instead of just increasing the multiplier?

FSB overclocking will work, but it is much more difficult. (For example you'll have to drop your DDR2-1066 ram to DDR2-800 speed. You may also need to give the NB more voltage and might even need to drop the NB speed if your motherboard can't handle the voltage requirements.)

EDIT: Actually I incorrectly thought you said 8750. I don't think the 8650 was released in a black edition; and therefore there was no marketing about abililty to overclock it.
May 21, 2009 4:30:45 PM

I am not an overclocker, but it seems to me that most people these days do so by simply changing the CPU Clock Multiplier. For my 2.6GHz 9550, the default multiplier is 13 (13 x 200 = 2600). If I was into that kind of thing, I might change it to 14.5 (14.5 x 200 = 2900GHz).

What motherboard are you running?
May 21, 2009 4:35:48 PM

No, not a black edition. Its an 8650. Never came in Black Edition. I've overclocked before and know how the FSB OC works. I'm using an Asus M3A79-T Deluxe. Also tried the same processor in an MSI K9A2 Platinum. I bought the Asus board because i thought the MSI board was the problem part originally preventing the overclock.
May 21, 2009 4:37:05 PM

Learn2Overclock
May 21, 2009 4:57:06 PM

have you got an aftermarket cooler?

and there were a few 8650 BE's.
May 21, 2009 4:59:02 PM

I doubt the CPU or even the motherboard is at fault, what RAM do you have?
Also overclocking the FSB usually affects the clock speed of PCI/PCIe/etc, so do you have any PCI/PCIe cards?

And how can you be outraged at a company for providing what they advertised?
May 21, 2009 5:01:49 PM

B-Unit said:
Learn2Overclock

+1

Overclocking is really not as easy as "going into BIOS, up the HTT, and voila". It really involves time consuming tuning on each components.

I blame Intel's Conroe for spoiling us with easy overclockings :p .
May 21, 2009 5:06:09 PM

Guys, i know how it works. I've overclocked before with older AMD processors. Turn off the false noob alarm. I know all about checking the HT Link Speed and so forth. I know I need to change the ram divider and such. I know to check every part and find what its max is. But pushing the stupid thing past 2.4Ghz results in that eventual BSOD no matter what the multiplier and FSB are set to. I've also double checked with every guide i could find for the Phenoms. And yeah, i shouldn't have to worry about any other setting if I just increase the FSB by one.
a c 216 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 21, 2009 5:11:39 PM

So you got one that behaves exactly as advertised but happens not to have any head room. They only have to make sure its stable at the given speed, anything after that comes with no promises whatsoever so being outraged that you got exactly what you paid for is kind of stupid.
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2009 5:15:37 PM

Blame AMD cause your an idiot, good one. Thers a ton more factors that could be causing your BSOD.

PSU?
RAM?
HDD?
Bad install?
Temps?
Your an idiot?
May 21, 2009 5:40:19 PM

Just because I see getting asked about this too, yes the mobos bios is up to date.

PSU has never had issues since I bought it. Its a Silverstone DA750.

I'm using Corsair RAM at 4 GB. I've tried the 2 2GB sticks and also tried a pair of 1GB sticks.

Tried 2 different seagate hard drives. One with Vista and another with Win7.

Temps are fine. I have also tried OC through Overdrive and the temps stay at about 50C and never rise.

Idiot? Crazy maybe, but definitely not an idiot. Now I don't see why when a person can't overclock a processor, that one should just assume the person is obviously an idiot.
May 21, 2009 6:24:26 PM

cutlass81 said:
Idiot? Crazy maybe, but definitely not an idiot. Now I don't see why when a person can't overclock a processor, that one should just assume the person is obviously an idiot.

I don't think people should be calling other people names on these forums.

However they might not be calling you names because of your overclocking abilities/issues; but rather because you felt the need to come to the forum and scream about how you were mislead because your CPU works exactly as advertised.

PLUS: If you felt the need to buy an entirely new motherboard because your last generation CPU wouldn't overclock we have to ask: Why didn't you just buy one of the new generation CPU which are known to overclock much much better? My old 9850 would overclock 300Mhz easily; but my new 940 will overclock 800Mhz easily and I probably could get 1Ghz out of it if I used Vista 32 instead of Vista64.
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2009 6:29:35 PM

Sounds like you were just unlucky with your chip dude. It was never marketed as an overclocker. It works as specified. Not AMD's fault, not yours. just unlucky.
May 21, 2009 6:39:20 PM

I'm just going to point out the original point of my inquiry which was completely ignored. I didn't come here to gripe about it so much as find out if anyone else had ever bought a processor that wouldn't bump up even by 1 in the FSB setting. Like I mean it would be one thing if I could only bump it up by like 5 to 10 and be stable but thats it, but for it to not budge at all is just absolutely baffling.

Didn't buy a new gen processor at the time either because they weren't out or they were too pricey and the motherboard was the cheaper of the 2 routes to explore.
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2009 6:52:54 PM

The Phenoms where terrible at overclocking. AMD could not even get the chips out at there original targeted clocks. Even most of the top binned x4 black editions wouldnt make it to 3ghz. Things got a little better when the newer SB came out.

So you baught a tri core cpu from that batch. Which basically means that the chip failed to be stable at the regular crap x4 clocks for one reason or another. Could have been a dead core or a core that just wasnt stable at the same speed as the other three or whatnot. What did you expect from such a cpu?
May 21, 2009 7:01:23 PM

Yeah, but even with the new SB, it still didn't budge even that 1. Reminding me what these originally are, I wonder if its possible to shut down one of the three cores hardware wise and just use the two and see if I could push it that way. I'd almost bet that this barely passed original testing and that it was released in desperation. Would not surprise me that 2 of the cores showed up bad but one was still workable.
May 21, 2009 7:01:41 PM

cutlass81 said:
find out if anyone else had ever bought a processor that wouldn't bump up even by 1 in the FSB setting.

So we'll answer that one point specifically:

If you are having a problem bumping the HT Reference Clock up by 1Mhz then we can conclude that either you have a chip that is barely stable at the stock speed OR there is another issue involved that has nothing to do with the CPU.

The probability that a CPU would not work at 12Mhz or 20Mhz over stock is NOT very high so that leaves the second as being more likely.

(Although as Somebuy7 said: with a Phenom I AND a tri-core the chances for getting more than 100mhz-200mhz is not great anyway... so even if you figure out why you can't go up 1Mhz on the HT Reference Frequency then you won't get much above stock anyway.)
May 21, 2009 7:21:47 PM

I bought an AMD K6-3 495MHz once. It was 495MHz because it required the FSB to run at 99MHz instead of the normal 100MHz. I figured, no problem, I can just run the FSB at 100MHz and have a 500MHz processor. No such luck. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it stable with a 1 MHz FSB bump. Still a good chip though. And no, I didn't feel like I got ripped off. I took a chance and in the end got exactly what I paid for.
May 21, 2009 7:27:14 PM

Will people quit saying that I feel like I was ripped off. I'm just outraged by its inability to bump. It makes me angry and disappointed sure, but not ripped off. I mean I did get my hopes up so its only natural.
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2009 7:28:43 PM

if everything else is working correctly, i would say count your losses and move on, you can always get a Phenom II
May 21, 2009 7:35:19 PM

cutlass81 said:
Will people quit saying that I feel like I was ripped off.

Sorry, but when you use words like "outraged" and "completely disappointed" that is what you are going to get. You do know that "outraged" implies a grave offense right?
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2009 7:41:28 PM

steckman said:
Sorry, but when you use words like "outraged" and "completely disappointed" that is what you are going to get. You do know that "outraged" implies a grave offense right?

+1

If you'd have said you were gutted it would have been more in the sense you meant it. Sounds like you're having a go at AMD.
May 21, 2009 7:53:46 PM

Who said it wasn't a grave offense? Grave offense to the overclocking gods! Its like buying a new greyhound that looks healthy, but you find out its pretty old after the first race. Sure its fast and its a greyhound, but it has no where to go but down. lol
May 21, 2009 8:43:11 PM

I had a motherboard that ran perfectly fine at stock fsb, but crashed with a 4mhz increase. Tried ram, voltage everything. Long story short - it was not the cpu. With 200mhz fsb, 1 mhz is .5 percent increase. Almost everything has at least ten times that margin.

Except for the problem I found. Northbridge heat. Seems like some motherboard designs almost require cpu fan cooling to be stable at stock speeds. Check your northbridge heatsink, see if it has good contact, put a spot fan on it - and then apologize to AMD.

a b à CPUs
May 21, 2009 8:57:17 PM

looky here son, i bought a Sapphire 4870 1GB version knowing full well that i would not be able to push the core clock much further than the stock 750 it ships with, it's still a good video card tho, so there is no need to OC it, least for my needs. It seems to me that you tried to go the cheaper route and did not fully do your homework. RMA that thing and move on, life is too short... Ps. It's all in the hips...
May 21, 2009 9:28:12 PM

cutlass81 said:
I am completely disappointed in AMD this time around. I am now under the conclusion that i have a non-overclockable cpu. After all this hype and great reviews, my Phenom 8650 won't overlock even just a little. An increase by 1 FSB results in the eventual BSOD. I'm just curious to know how many other people suffer from this same problem. I mean c'mon now, i've even tried 2 different motheboards and nothing. :( 

i had the same problem with my 9850 be cpu, except i would only change the multiplier to overclock but whenever i changed the fsb it wouldnt even post, so what i figured out was to gange the memmory and then it would boot, then i updated my bios on my GIGABYTE GA-MA770-S3 motherboard and it just took away the ability to even ungange it and after the update i never had bsod problems unless i tried to push the cpu too far, never got past 2.9 ghz :(  and i was using a zalman cnps9700 cooler too and it oced the same as with the stock cooler

so anyways try ganging ur memmory and if that doesnt work update your bios
May 21, 2009 9:46:50 PM

You have to take into consideration the way they sort out the chips as they come off the line. The ones from the best batches end up as the Black Edition because they are far more likely to overclock, its not purely a marketing tool. Other chips are clocked lower and locked because they likely cannot physically handle a faster speed. Its not AMD's fault at all. If you intended to overclock at all you should have started with a black edition.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 22, 2009 7:06:19 AM

cutlass81 said:

This is why you never believe the hype or reviews. Its all just hype. And reviewers get ES chips that are normally the best quality (cherry pickin at its best) so the one you get might not perform or OC the same.
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2009 7:52:39 AM

Oh, c'mon, chips are only designed to run at their stock speeds.

What'd you expect.
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2009 8:48:10 AM

cutlass81 said:
Who said it wasn't a grave offense? Grave offense to the overclocking gods! Its like buying a new greyhound that looks healthy, but you find out its pretty old after the first race. Sure its fast and its a greyhound, but it has no where to go but down. lol

If you would spend thousands on a dog without asking how old it is, you have no hope with your processer.
Answer.. Ring DELL, make them build you a computer ;)  hahahaha.
May 22, 2009 12:05:49 PM

im sorry but you claim to know how to overlcock then how can you not understand that you just got a cpu that just cant stand any more speed?

you just had bad luck and got a cpu that cant physicaly handle more of what it was sold for :<

go chang eit for another from another batch, it will work
May 22, 2009 12:33:56 PM

Catalyst2590:
Finally, somebody who has had some maybe useful information. I'll try ganging the memory this weekend when I get a chance. Thats one setting I looked into and heard I should have them unganged so I left that default. I'd oddly never heard of that issue.

Now lets deal with half the people who didn't read the thread.

suddenstop:
Yes, I realize it should have a greater margin than that. But i've tried multiple everything else except PSU and CPU. Seeing as the PSU hasn't shorted out in the past year and I've also run voltage tests on it, i'm sure its not it. CPU is the only thing left.

PsychoSaysDie:
Yes, I realize this or there is something wrong with the chip. We'll find out this weekend I guess.

jonpaul37:
This is not a video card. My 4850 works fine and even OC'd quite a bit. We're talking CPU's here. Trust me, I spent plenty on my Sapphire 4850 for graphics.

tonyn84, jimmysmithy, amdfangirl, caskachan:
I realize this as well, but guess what, let me know if you can't change your fsb setting to 201 from 200 and then get back to me. I know the reviewers get the best parts, but even low quality parts should go up by 1.

acer0169:
Sorry, I wrote that in a small amount of time. I forgot to add the seller lied to you about the age. For example my parents bought me a jack russel when i was young and the seller said it was a puppy at about a year old but the vet placed him at about 5 or 6 years old.
May 22, 2009 12:40:00 PM

cutlass81 said:

That's what happens when you buy a processor with little headroom! If you wanted to OC like a be-otch you should have gone with one of Intel's lower FSB chips.
May 22, 2009 12:42:02 PM

keithlm said:
I don't think people should be calling other people names on these forums.

Hey, I agree with KiethLM! Woohoo! Hope you're doing well buddy.
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2009 1:04:46 PM

cutlass81 said:
Catalyst2590:
Sorry, I wrote that in a small amount of time. I forgot to add the seller lied to you about the age. For example my parents bought me a jack russel when i was young and the seller said it was a puppy at about a year old but the vet placed him at about 5 or 6 years old.

But AMD haven't lied to you at all?
I doubt very much AMD would EVER say to overclock their products.. after all.. if it removes the warranty, I doubt they would advertise to do it. They might advice you on HOW to do it, but not that you should.
May 22, 2009 1:19:23 PM

What I don't understand is, instead of playing with FrontSideBus speed (which affects many components simultaneously), why not just bump the CPU clock multiplier up one step at a time?

You are adjusting FSB and then assuming the CPU is the failure point when, in fact, it could be any of several other parts of the system architecture.

Of course, I am not an overclocker, so what do I know?
May 22, 2009 1:22:42 PM

I'm going to assume you aren't then because you can't bump up the multiplier higher than stock on any AMD processors other than the Black Editions.
May 22, 2009 1:26:37 PM

Okay, that's reasonable. :) 

Nevertheless, you are still effectively assuming that the CPU is the problem when it could be any sub-system affected by FSB speed, couldn't it?
May 22, 2009 1:37:33 PM

HT Link Speed can only be so fast. If it passes a certain point, it won't work. On the old Athlon processors this was 1000mhz if i remember right.

Acer, please quote correctly. You put catalyst's name instead of your won.

1 FSB increase should be negligible to any part affected by it. If the ganged mode thing is correct, then that would be the only thing that could possibly be affected by this increase. Seeing as i've swapped out basically every other part, yeah i don't see it being any of the others.
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2009 2:32:19 PM

Sod off, I quoted it quickly and made a little boo boo. Regardless..

Just face that you bought without looking ahead and are now stuck with a CPU which can't overclock without a lot of faffing around. Sell it, get one of similar spec but which has been used lots of times before with good overclocking results.
May 22, 2009 2:44:21 PM

Uh, it requires the same knowledge to overclock a phenom1 as it does the phenom2. So its the same amount of faffing around if I wish to receive the best clock possible. I bought the processor with the intent of faffing around as a matter of fact. If you don't got something useful to say, don't reply. Out of all this "get over it" talk somebody might actually have something useful to try. If it works then tolerating all the naysayers findable on this forum will have been worth it. Besides, not like i'm made out of money like some people. Helloooo, economy is still crap and i'm in college. I can't just go out there and spend more money on a processor whenever I want.
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 22, 2009 3:14:50 PM

cutlass81 said:
No, not a black edition. Its an 8650. Never came in Black Edition. I've overclocked before and know how the FSB OC works. I'm using an Asus M3A79-T Deluxe. Also tried the same processor in an MSI K9A2 Platinum. I bought the Asus board because i thought the MSI board was the problem part originally preventing the overclock.

I'm calling shens on your outrage (and judgment).

The MSI K9A2 Platinum (effectively being 18 months old) still retails for more than I paid for mine 17 months ago. I'm old (and senile) but have never seen an individual component hold its value as long as this motherboard.

I've run every thing - Orleans, Windsor, Brisbane, Agena & Deneb - in mine. It runs a Phenom 9600BE at stock volts @ 2735MHz. It's running a PhII 940 at stock volts at 3.5GHz and 47c load temps. I'd crank it more but I just bought a PhII 720BE combo last week (so you may soon add Heka to my list).

Sorry you are having problems but you have yet to post any settings with which we may help you. Do not gang the IMC - your best chances for success are running 2x64-bit controllers. If you were as smart as you like to represent yourself you would know this.

Most likely you may have purchased a PhII 940BE (or even a 955) for the money you spent on the Asus M3A79-T.

So you make a poor decision and after the fact come to Tom's and blame AMD. And we should now help you .... why?
May 22, 2009 4:15:04 PM

I didn't post any settings because all settings were left at stock at this point and i only increased fsb by 1. I have repeated this a few times now. If you have an MSI K9A2 you would know what its stock settings are. as well. And if you've ever had a processor not overclock by 1 on the FSB you'd probably think the motherboard was buggy as well because its hardly believable that a processor would refuse to push by so little.

Also another thing about the MSI K9A2 is that it refuses to have any really changeable northbridge settings that effect the overall ability to overclock. It also runs the older South Bridge. The M3A79-T is the overall better motherboard.

As for the MSI board, i wound up giving it to my younger brother for his birthday since he was building his own. Its running one of the black editions now just fine. Its not my computer so I don't remember if it was a 720 or a 940 we put in there. I just know he overclocked it and its been working great since.

As for it being ganged or unganged, its been unganged and hasn't worked. If somebody says for me to try changing the setting, then i'm going to do it because so far nobody else has had any useful information.
May 22, 2009 5:16:20 PM

Saying "stock" settings tells us nothing. After resetting the BIOS, it don't get more stock than that, my multiplier is .5 my voltage is .6 and my bus speed is 100. I read through this entire thing and all I've gotten from it is you've changed the FSB by 1. How are we to know that is even the case as you haven't told us what you adjusted i.e. my current multiplier is 16, voltage is 1.40 and bus is at 205 *from* the above setting.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!