Outraged at AMD. Anyone else ever suffered from this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlass81

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I am completely disappointed in AMD this time around. I am now under the conclusion that i have a non-overclockable cpu. After all this hype and great reviews, my Phenom 8650 won't overlock even just a little. An increase by 1 FSB results in the eventual BSOD. I'm just curious to know how many other people suffer from this same problem. I mean c'mon now, i've even tried 2 different motheboards and nothing. :(

cutlass81

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Well when the tri-cores originally came out place like neoseeker were boasting 3Ghz 8750 and such which is a 600 megahertz improvement for it. So yeah, i was hoping i could atleast push the 8650 to 2.7Ghz which at this point it won't even go past stock. I've never owned a processor that refuses to overclock even a little. I mean heck, if my Athlon 3800+ pushed to 2.7, then why can't this newer model when other people have been able to do so.

Yes shame on them. Chip doesn't work as marketed but does work as advertised. You market overclock ability, then there should have been some. Heck even the motherboard companies market it.

cutlass81

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I increased the FSB and have even tried lowering the multiplier in the BIOS by manual setting. Even if all settings are stock and I increase the FSB by a single digit, it will boot but eventually give me:

"A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval"- BSOD

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

By your comments about how you are distressed about marketing we can surmise that you have the black edition with the unlocked multiplier.

So then we have to ask: why are you attempting to increase the FSB instead of just increasing the multiplier?

FSB overclocking will work, but it is much more difficult. (For example you'll have to drop your DDR2-1066 ram to DDR2-800 speed. You may also need to give the NB more voltage and might even need to drop the NB speed if your motherboard can't handle the voltage requirements.)

EDIT: Actually I incorrectly thought you said 8750. I don't think the 8650 was released in a black edition; and therefore there was no marketing about abililty to overclock it.

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I am not an overclocker, but it seems to me that most people these days do so by simply changing the CPU Clock Multiplier. For my 2.6GHz 9550, the default multiplier is 13 (13 x 200 = 2600). If I was into that kind of thing, I might change it to 14.5 (14.5 x 200 = 2900GHz).

What motherboard are you running?

cutlass81

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
No, not a black edition. Its an 8650. Never came in Black Edition. I've overclocked before and know how the FSB OC works. I'm using an Asus M3A79-T Deluxe. Also tried the same processor in an MSI K9A2 Platinum. I bought the Asus board because i thought the MSI board was the problem part originally preventing the overclock.

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
I doubt the CPU or even the motherboard is at fault, what RAM do you have?
Also overclocking the FSB usually affects the clock speed of PCI/PCIe/etc, so do you have any PCI/PCIe cards?

And how can you be outraged at a company for providing what they advertised?

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

+1

Overclocking is really not as easy as "going into BIOS, up the HTT, and voila". It really involves time consuming tuning on each components.

I blame Intel's Conroe for spoiling us with easy overclockings :p.

cutlass81

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Guys, i know how it works. I've overclocked before with older AMD processors. Turn off the false noob alarm. I know all about checking the HT Link Speed and so forth. I know I need to change the ram divider and such. I know to check every part and find what its max is. But pushing the stupid thing past 2.4Ghz results in that eventual BSOD no matter what the multiplier and FSB are set to. I've also double checked with every guide i could find for the Phenoms. And yeah, i shouldn't have to worry about any other setting if I just increase the FSB by one.

So you got one that behaves exactly as advertised but happens not to have any head room. They only have to make sure its stable at the given speed, anything after that comes with no promises whatsoever so being outraged that you got exactly what you paid for is kind of stupid.

cutlass81

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Just because I see getting asked about this too, yes the mobos bios is up to date.

PSU has never had issues since I bought it. Its a Silverstone DA750.

I'm using Corsair RAM at 4 GB. I've tried the 2 2GB sticks and also tried a pair of 1GB sticks.

Tried 2 different seagate hard drives. One with Vista and another with Win7.

Temps are fine. I have also tried OC through Overdrive and the temps stay at about 50C and never rise.

Idiot? Crazy maybe, but definitely not an idiot. Now I don't see why when a person can't overclock a processor, that one should just assume the person is obviously an idiot.

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

I don't think people should be calling other people names on these forums.

However they might not be calling you names because of your overclocking abilities/issues; but rather because you felt the need to come to the forum and scream about how you were mislead because your CPU works exactly as advertised.

PLUS: If you felt the need to buy an entirely new motherboard because your last generation CPU wouldn't overclock we have to ask: Why didn't you just buy one of the new generation CPU which are known to overclock much much better? My old 9850 would overclock 300Mhz easily; but my new 940 will overclock 800Mhz easily and I probably could get 1Ghz out of it if I used Vista 32 instead of Vista64.

cutlass81

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I'm just going to point out the original point of my inquiry which was completely ignored. I didn't come here to gripe about it so much as find out if anyone else had ever bought a processor that wouldn't bump up even by 1 in the FSB setting. Like I mean it would be one thing if I could only bump it up by like 5 to 10 and be stable but thats it, but for it to not budge at all is just absolutely baffling.

Didn't buy a new gen processor at the time either because they weren't out or they were too pricey and the motherboard was the cheaper of the 2 routes to explore.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
The Phenoms where terrible at overclocking. AMD could not even get the chips out at there original targeted clocks. Even most of the top binned x4 black editions wouldnt make it to 3ghz. Things got a little better when the newer SB came out.

So you baught a tri core cpu from that batch. Which basically means that the chip failed to be stable at the regular crap x4 clocks for one reason or another. Could have been a dead core or a core that just wasnt stable at the same speed as the other three or whatnot. What did you expect from such a cpu?

cutlass81

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Yeah, but even with the new SB, it still didn't budge even that 1. Reminding me what these originally are, I wonder if its possible to shut down one of the three cores hardware wise and just use the two and see if I could push it that way. I'd almost bet that this barely passed original testing and that it was released in desperation. Would not surprise me that 2 of the cores showed up bad but one was still workable.

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

So we'll answer that one point specifically:

If you are having a problem bumping the HT Reference Clock up by 1Mhz then we can conclude that either you have a chip that is barely stable at the stock speed OR there is another issue involved that has nothing to do with the CPU.

The probability that a CPU would not work at 12Mhz or 20Mhz over stock is NOT very high so that leaves the second as being more likely.

(Although as Somebuy7 said: with a Phenom I AND a tri-core the chances for getting more than 100mhz-200mhz is not great anyway... so even if you figure out why you can't go up 1Mhz on the HT Reference Frequency then you won't get much above stock anyway.)

steckman

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I bought an AMD K6-3 495MHz once. It was 495MHz because it required the FSB to run at 99MHz instead of the normal 100MHz. I figured, no problem, I can just run the FSB at 100MHz and have a 500MHz processor. No such luck. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it stable with a 1 MHz FSB bump. Still a good chip though. And no, I didn't feel like I got ripped off. I took a chance and in the end got exactly what I paid for.

cutlass81

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Will people quit saying that I feel like I was ripped off. I'm just outraged by its inability to bump. It makes me angry and disappointed sure, but not ripped off. I mean I did get my hopes up so its only natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.