This is a re-post of "riddle me this" as the title was a little too ambiguous.
Here is the scenario:
1. Dell Desktop Dimension 4500 with 256 factory installed RAM (at this point the system is working fine)
2. Take out old RAM install new RAM
3. Start it up......
4. Get 3 Beeps
5. LED lights show GYYY
6. HD Spins up
7. Green power light on MB on
8. Fans on PSU and CPU working ok
9. Turn off and take out one memory chip - same results as points 4 - 8 above
10. Turn off and take out other memory chip and replace with original memory - same results as points 4 - 8 above
Have checked and rechecked all cable seatings even though not been touched.
Beep codes and LED lights are standard message indicators for this machine that there is a memory problem. specifically
No memory modules are detected.
I am aware that this is not an isolated problem because I searched the net and found a post describing this exact problem. In fact I "adapted" their post to save me writing it out again as it described the problem perfectly. No satisfactory answer to this post.
I have tried about 7 different sticks of compatible ram with the only difference being if I use a matched pair of 128mb ram the mobo does not give a beep code and the leds show YYGG which according to Dell means that Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.