How do I get rid of the "You have x number of messages" du..

mikeb

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003

When I get to the User Logon screen during XP bootup, I get some sort of notification as I pass the cursor over my Logon icon that I have something like 53 unread messages. First of all, where are these "messages" coming from, because if I go into my email accounts, they're not in there...is this some kind of Windows Messenger messages or something? And HOW can I stop the notifications? This if really starting to bug me. Thanks! Mike B

Hi

You can download TweakUI from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp and when
installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI - then go to
Logon>Unread Mail - disable it in the right hand pane.

Otherwise the Unread Mail can be disabled via the Registry - navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\[Your
email address], double click on 'MessageCount' - in the right hand pane -
and change the value to 0(Zero).

***If you do opt for the Registry please 'tweak', please backup the Registry
first. A very good program to do this - as well as being able to restore
it - is ERunt:

http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/index.htm***

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"mikeb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| When I get to the User Logon screen during XP bootup, I get some sort of
notification as I pass the cursor over my Logon icon that I have something
like 53 unread messages. First of all, where are these "messages" coming
from, because if I go into my email accounts, they're not in there...is this
some kind of Windows Messenger messages or something? And HOW can I stop
the notifications? This if really starting to bug me. Thanks! Mike B

mikeb

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003

Will, thanks for the quick response, and I will download the utility you mentioned to get rid of that notification. So are the notifications I'm seeing tied to a specific email address...and how would I find out which address it is? Thanks again. Mike B

Hi Mike

Hotmail Account?

--

| Will, thanks for the quick response, and I will download the utility you
mentioned to get rid of that notification. So are the notifications I'm
seeing tied to a specific email address...and how would I find out which
address it is? Thanks again. Mike B

mikeb

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003

I don't think I have a Hotmail account, I've got a number of other ones (gtcinternet, softhome, mail.com)?

This is the account associated with your Windows User Account:

- open Control Panel
- go to User Accounts
- click your User Account
- click "Change my .NET Passport"