CPU temperature rising after bios flash

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooling
  • Temperature
Last response: in CPUs
May 21, 2009 7:11:01 PM

Hello!

As the topic says, my Core2 Duo E8500 is idling at around 50c+ in my antec 900 case with stock cooling + a side fan.

It used to be idling at around 39-40. Still high, but acceptable, considering my CPU cooler isn't exactly high-end. Now I'm wondering, what could the reasons for this be?

Any input would be awesome, thanks. :) 

More about : cpu temperature rising bios flash

May 21, 2009 7:24:42 PM

What are you using to measure the temps with?
May 21, 2009 7:47:24 PM

I have the ASUS software called PC probe, speedfan and the BIOS readings. They're all stating the same, so I'm gonna have to assume those are the correct figures.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2009 8:16:24 AM

Then again, your BIOS update might have fixed some of those problem with the Intel CPUS and temp sensor. Now your mobo probably tells you the right temp.
May 22, 2009 9:48:43 AM

amdfangirl said:
Then again, your BIOS update might have fixed some of those problem with the Intel CPUS and temp sensor. Now your mobo probably tells you the right temp.

Let's hope that's it. However, my CPU is still too hot for this cooling setup, so my previous questions regarding the CPU cooler remains.
May 22, 2009 10:06:49 AM

are you sure your heatsink is on good i heard the pushpins are hard to get in ?
definatly way to high watch it under load could damage the cpu
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2009 10:25:47 AM

Are both cores within 2 to 5 C of each other temps, idle and full load? If so, then you probably have good sensors on the chip and your temps now

I have an e8400 and an Asus P5N-D that I've been using for over year and have gone through 2 different coolers (Rosewill and Artic Pro) and consistently the CPU idles and 36 and 43 but the aftermarket coolers did lower load temps compared to the stock intel HSF.

On my 3 other motherboards, the same CPUs that I switch from the P5N-D seems to heat up slower and cool down faster, both on stock settings full load and overclock fullload Prime 95 testing. It's just an opinion buy the P5N-D Northbridge seems to run on the hot side and that could be a factor.

See if your temps go down when you remove the side panel and get a desk fan to blow into the motherboard. If it does, then you know you need to improve your case airflow and your CPU cooler.

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2009 10:29:24 AM

Jesterhead said:
Let's hope that's it. However, my CPU is still too hot for this cooling setup, so my previous questions regarding the CPU cooler remains.

Touch the heatsink?
May 22, 2009 11:11:27 AM

hundredislandsboy said:
Are both cores within 2 to 5 C of each other temps, idle and full load? If so, then you probably have good sensors on the chip and your temps now

I have an e8400 and an Asus P5N-D that I've been using for over year and have gone through 2 different coolers (Rosewill and Artic Pro) and consistently the CPU idles and 36 and 43 but the aftermarket coolers did lower load temps compared to the stock intel HSF.

On my 3 other motherboards, the same CPUs that I switch from the P5N-D seems to heat up slower and cool down faster, both on stock settings full load and overclock fullload Prime 95 testing. It's just an opinion buy the P5N-D Northbridge seems to run on the hot side and that could be a factor.

See if your temps go down when you remove the side panel and get a desk fan to blow into the motherboard. If it does, then you know you need to improve your case airflow and your CPU cooler.

I have a arctic cooling alpine 7 cooler atm. I'm pretty sure it's connected properly, cause both cores show the same temperatures.

My temperature goes up 1-2c by removing the side door, because i have an intake fan mounted there. Also, this problem is only with the CPU. After playing through Crysis Warhead with most settings on full, my CPU was at 65c and my GPU was only at 49 (GTX275).

I'm really wondering what the hell is going on here, my GPU should be a lot hotter than CPU after such excessive stress, shouldn't it?

Also, on the P5n-d, do you think it's possible to mount a 120mm cooler like the one i mentioned earlier in the thread?

amdfangirl said:
Touch the heatsink?

Why on earth? :p 

a b à CPUs
May 30, 2009 8:59:39 AM

See if the heatsink too hot?
May 30, 2009 12:05:33 PM

I agree with amdfangirl, "Then again, your BIOS update might have fixed some of those problem with the Intel CPU and temp sensor." I'm running an E8500 with a P5N-D as well and I didn't notice any changes after updating to bios version 1001, but then again I wasn't looking a change in temps either. Just curious is your E8500 a C0 or E0.
!