CPU temperature rising after bios flash

Jesterhead

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Hello!

As the topic says, my Core2 Duo E8500 is idling at around 50c+ in my antec 900 case with stock cooling + a side fan.

It used to be idling at around 39-40. Still high, but acceptable, considering my CPU cooler isn't exactly high-end. Now I'm wondering, what could the reasons for this be?

Any input would be awesome, thanks. :)

Jesterhead

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
I have the ASUS software called PC probe, speedfan and the BIOS readings. They're all stating the same, so I'm gonna have to assume those are the correct figures.

Jesterhead

Distinguished
May 18, 2009

Let's hope that's it. However, my CPU is still too hot for this cooling setup, so my previous questions regarding the CPU cooler remains.

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
are you sure your heatsink is on good i heard the pushpins are hard to get in ?
definatly way to high watch it under load could damage the cpu

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Are both cores within 2 to 5 C of each other temps, idle and full load? If so, then you probably have good sensors on the chip and your temps now

I have an e8400 and an Asus P5N-D that I've been using for over year and have gone through 2 different coolers (Rosewill and Artic Pro) and consistently the CPU idles and 36 and 43 but the aftermarket coolers did lower load temps compared to the stock intel HSF.

On my 3 other motherboards, the same CPUs that I switch from the P5N-D seems to heat up slower and cool down faster, both on stock settings full load and overclock fullload Prime 95 testing. It's just an opinion buy the P5N-D Northbridge seems to run on the hot side and that could be a factor.

See if your temps go down when you remove the side panel and get a desk fan to blow into the motherboard. If it does, then you know you need to improve your case airflow and your CPU cooler.

Jesterhead

Distinguished
May 18, 2009

I have a arctic cooling alpine 7 cooler atm. I'm pretty sure it's connected properly, cause both cores show the same temperatures.

My temperature goes up 1-2c by removing the side door, because i have an intake fan mounted there. Also, this problem is only with the CPU. After playing through Crysis Warhead with most settings on full, my CPU was at 65c and my GPU was only at 49 (GTX275).

I'm really wondering what the hell is going on here, my GPU should be a lot hotter than CPU after such excessive stress, shouldn't it?

Also, on the P5n-d, do you think it's possible to mount a 120mm cooler like the one i mentioned earlier in the thread?

Why on earth? :p

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I agree with amdfangirl, "Then again, your BIOS update might have fixed some of those problem with the Intel CPU and temp sensor." I'm running an E8500 with a P5N-D as well and I didn't notice any changes after updating to bios version 1001, but then again I wasn't looking a change in temps either. Just curious is your E8500 a C0 or E0.