Solved

CPU Fan Error after upgrade

So I just upgraded my cpu fan from the stock fan/heatsink to Scythe MUGEN-2. So after installing and starting up I recieved an error saying that the CPU Fan was not detected or something like that. I realize it obv has something to do with the heatsink, but I was wondering if there is anything that can be done for this.

My MB is
ASUS M4A78-EM

Thanks ahead of time.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about error upgrade
  1. make sure you didnt bend the fan connector pins on the mobo, you should have all 4 intact....
  2. OvrClkr said:
    make sure you didnt bend the fan connector pins on the mobo, you should have all 4 intact....



    Thanks for the Reply.
    So I double checked the connector pins and they were fine. I still get the error, any other possibilities?
  3. Make sure if it is a 3 pin cpu fan connector that it connected onto the correct 3 pins that are on the 4 pin mobo connection.
  4. overshocked said:
    Make sure if it is a 3 pin cpu fan connector that it connected onto the correct 3 pins that are on the 4 pin mobo connection.


    I definitely am sure that its a 4 pin connector and a 4 pin connection on the board.
  5. Try installing that same fan on another mobo..... if the fan does not spin then its dead....if it spins then you might have a bad header....troubleshoot...
  6. OvrClkr said:
    Try installing that same fan on another mobo..... if the fan does not spin then its dead....if it spins then you might have a bad header....troubleshoot...

    The fan is definitely spinning, unfortunately I don't have another mobo to test on. Any thing else?
  7. Best answer
    So your fan DOES work but you get an error that says the opposite? If so you need to download speedfan and check the fanspeed (cpu), if you see the RPM's @ 1500 or higher then dont worry about the error....
  8. Ok figured it out. Its embarrassing by the way, there was a cord that as blocking it from spinning. Its up and running now, so thanks for the help OvrClkr and sorry it was such a dumb thing.
  9. No worries, i am just glad you found a solution to you problem.....Let me know if you need help with anything else......
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Heatsinks CPUs Motherboards