Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Fan Error after upgrade

Last response: in Motherboards
July 28, 2009 5:03:28 PM

So I just upgraded my cpu fan from the stock fan/heatsink to Scythe MUGEN-2. So after installing and starting up I recieved an error saying that the CPU Fan was not detected or something like that. I realize it obv has something to do with the heatsink, but I was wondering if there is anything that can be done for this.

My MB is
ASUS M4A78-EM

Thanks ahead of time.

More about : cpu fan error upgrade

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2009 5:46:10 PM

make sure you didnt bend the fan connector pins on the mobo, you should have all 4 intact....
m
l
July 28, 2009 10:05:16 PM

OvrClkr said:
make sure you didnt bend the fan connector pins on the mobo, you should have all 4 intact....

Thanks for the Reply.
So I double checked the connector pins and they were fine. I still get the error, any other possibilities?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2009 10:08:49 PM

Make sure if it is a 3 pin cpu fan connector that it connected onto the correct 3 pins that are on the 4 pin mobo connection.
m
l
July 29, 2009 2:04:23 AM

overshocked said:
Make sure if it is a 3 pin cpu fan connector that it connected onto the correct 3 pins that are on the 4 pin mobo connection.

I definitely am sure that its a 4 pin connector and a 4 pin connection on the board.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2009 2:09:11 AM

Try installing that same fan on another mobo..... if the fan does not spin then its dead....if it spins then you might have a bad header....troubleshoot...
m
l
July 29, 2009 3:19:50 PM

OvrClkr said:
Try installing that same fan on another mobo..... if the fan does not spin then its dead....if it spins then you might have a bad header....troubleshoot...

The fan is definitely spinning, unfortunately I don't have another mobo to test on. Any thing else?
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2009 3:41:02 PM

So your fan DOES work but you get an error that says the opposite? If so you need to download speedfan and check the fanspeed (cpu), if you see the RPM's @ 1500 or higher then dont worry about the error....
July 31, 2009 12:27:10 AM

Ok figured it out. Its embarrassing by the way, there was a cord that as blocking it from spinning. Its up and running now, so thanks for the help OvrClkr and sorry it was such a dumb thing.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 31, 2009 12:55:36 AM

No worries, i am just glad you found a solution to you problem.....Let me know if you need help with anything else......
m
l
!