Sign in with
Your question

Maximus II Formula - No BIOS access and keeps restarting

Last response: in Motherboards
July 28, 2009 5:34:55 PM

Hello Tom`s Hardware Community :) 

I wont make a long introduction to my first post in here, but after Googling for this problem I ended up in here to see if I could get some help. Asus is NOT helping me (told me to return the board after my first email) and the retailer just keeps asking me if I really know how to get into BIOS. Im no expert in computers, but at least Im past that stage.

My hardware;
* Case; Cooler Master HAF 932
* PSU; Corsair 750w ATX/EPS
* Mobo; Asus Maximus II Formula
* CPU; C2D E8500
* CPU cooler; Zalman CNPS 9700 NT
* Videocard; XFX 8800GTS 512MB
* Memory; Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC6400 CL4 E.P.P
* Disk; Samsung Spinpoint 750GB F1 SATA2

I will try to keep this as simple, yet as detailed, as possible;

- Built the computer about 2 weeks ago. Everything started up perfectly from the first try
- Installed Vista Ultimate 64Bit, all ok so far
- After tweaking Vista and installing drivers, programs etc, I did a restart and went into BIOS to check the sweet stuff
- Did some very small changes (no heavy overclocking) and restarted. All ok
- Did some benchmarks (3DMark06, PCMark etc) and checked temperatures. All ok
- After a few days of "normal use", I installed Crysis (just to try that on my new rig) and went back to BIOS to overclock a little - but now I cant access the BIOS, and this is where the problems starts:

1 - To get access to BIOS from this point, I have to either Flash it or CLR CMOS
2 - No matter which BIOS version Im trying (2104, 1901, 1802, 1307 so far), it only lets me in the first time I hit DEL, after that it just "locks up"
3 - When I hit DEL, it only takes me to the "Start Windows Normally" and "Run memory diagnostics". If I hit DEL like a mad man it sometimes takes me to "Safe Mode etc etc"
4 - I got some real heavy problems after fiddling around and had to move the jumper to start from BIOS 1 and then flashed the latest version using a USB stick - so I got the pc up and running again. But still with the same problem
5 - I took out the CMOS battery and kept it out for 30-40mins. No changes.
6 - Also disconnected lots of stuff incl USB connections, one disk and memory sticks, but no changes. Please keep in mind that the pc was working just fine with everything connected from day 1.

After about 1 week another, and more serious problems arise; sudden restarts all the time. If Im lucky I can use the pc for maybe 1 hour before it restarts. Sometimes it just keeps rebooting on start-up, sometimes it restarts before I can get to the point where I enter Windows.
No matter when the restart happens, there are no warnings, no ugly sounds, no blue screen. Its just a "nice and clean" restart, just like when you hit the Restart-button on the case; screen goes black, the pc gives you the "beep" (only one beep like normal) and then it starts all over as described above.

Yesterday I "managed" to keep it going long enough to finish 3DMark06. The temperatures were all fine. I ran the test with all fans OFF (except case fans), just to check the temps. CPU was just above 60, GPU was 68 and the rest below 50. After the benchmark, all temps went down to below 40 after a few mins.

I have now installed Vista 32bit instead, just to see if that could help regarding drivers etc - but no luck.
I have tried all kind of RAM possibilities; switched sticks and tried them in all slots.
I disconnected USB and Firewire connections, but still no luck.
As mentioned I have also tried different BIOS versions.

I think I will just stop here. Probably too much info already to keep your attention :) 

Just ask if there is some info missing or if I should test something. As I said I have already installed Vista again, so it doesnt matter if I have to test something that means I must "clear all of it" or something like that.
I will not go any further anyway until I am 110% sure the pc is working.

Thanks for reading :) 

Kind regards
maximus_74
Norway

a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2009 7:12:10 AM

It's clear that there's something wrong with your mobo. Send it back! :) 
a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2009 5:14:27 PM

^1+
Related resources
July 29, 2009 6:44:14 PM

Problem solved - I hope. At least its been running stable for the last 18-20 hours or so. Also did several benchmarks and overclocked with good results.

In case it helps someone else;

PC fix:
- A new and fresh install of Vista Ultimate 64bit.
- Used only one stick of RAM during installation this time, 1GB. Used 2GB last time so not sure if this really helped. Ran Vista updates and then inserted 8GB RAM.
- Only external things connected during installation; screen, keyboard and mouse.
- Also installed only with one SATA disk. Connected the other one after installation and updates.
- Did not install Maximus II Formula DVD. Instead I downloaded Intel Chipset drivers from Asus support, Version 9.0.0.1011 and different drivers Version 8.0.0.1039. Also downloaded newest version of Asus Update Version 7.15.04 and Asus AI Suite Version 1.05.22.
- Also removed my old Floppy disk totally. Just needed this one because of some old files :kaola:  but transfered them to USB from another PC.
- Checked all cables just in case, but didnt find anything wrong there.

And of course paying great attention to what kind of drivers I download ;)  Pretty crucial when running a 64bit OS I guess :p 

BIOS-fix (version 2104 by the way);
- Tried another keyboard (an older one) with PS/2 instead of USB and it worked.
- Tried to connect a converter to my USB input but didnt work until I downloaded drivers for 64bit OS for my keyboard. So if you have a "high-tech" keyboard (specially wireless?) the driver issue might help.

So now I just hope my Asus Maximus II Formula is ready to be tested and keeps stable! :hello: 
April 21, 2013 11:44:32 PM

maximus_74 said:

Problem solved - I hope. At least its been running stable for the last 18-20 hours or so. Also did several benchmarks and overclocked with good results.

In case it helps someone else;

PC fix:
- A new and fresh install of Vista Ultimate 64bit.
- Used only one stick of RAM during installation this time, 1GB. Used 2GB last time so not sure if this really helped. Ran Vista updates and then inserted 8GB RAM.
- Only external things connected during installation; screen, keyboard and mouse.
- Also installed only with one SATA disk. Connected the other one after installation and updates.
- Did not install Maximus II Formula DVD. Instead I downloaded Intel Chipset drivers from Asus support, Version 9.0.0.1011 and different drivers Version 8.0.0.1039. Also downloaded newest version of Asus Update Version 7.15.04 and Asus AI Suite Version 1.05.22.
- Also removed my old Floppy disk totally. Just needed this one because of some old files :kaola:  but transfered them to USB from another PC.
- Checked all cables just in case, but didnt find anything wrong there.

And of course paying great attention to what kind of drivers I download ;)  Pretty crucial when running a 64bit OS I guess :p 

BIOS-fix (version 2104 by the way);
- Tried another keyboard (an older one) with PS/2 instead of USB and it worked.
- Tried to connect a converter to my USB input but didnt work until I downloaded drivers for 64bit OS for my keyboard. So if you have a "high-tech" keyboard (specially wireless?) the driver issue might help.

So now I just hope my Asus Maximus II Formula is ready to be tested and keeps stable! :hello: 

What do you suppose was the problem? Memory card? BIOS update? In my case, I added a new hard drive, and began to get this issue. rhhyatt@hotmail.com
!