Feb 7, 2009
Iv just put together a new system using:

Phenom II x3 720
Bio star TA790GX 128
1GB DDR
PNY 9800GT
Coolermaster RealPower 520W Modular PSU

Rest of the system HDD case etc using my old stuff

I download the latest graphic drives but i was getting glitches while playing games & if i minimised a game & up it back on the screen would be scrambled. I read on the Nvida website there was a issue with some PNY 9800GT being released with a beta bios. A user on there forums said he had been sent a bios update from PNY & gave a link to download it.

I download it, now everything with that card is scrambled even loading windows is scrambled. ( if you know how to fix this problem can you tell me please)

So i format my PC & put in my old 7600GS, with the latest drivers

IV got 3 games installed at the mo
Fifa 09 (8 out of 10 times will load)
C&C 3 Red alret ( crash during the loading video nearly every time)
star trek legacy ( loads about 3 times out of 10, other wise crashes on 1st loading screen)

But if a game fully loads, it dont crash

Has anyone got any ideas on why the system is getting picky on what games & when it will load them?
When you update the bios on the graphics card could that of messed up my board?

I dont know to much about the voltages of the motherboard but i have had a look to see if i could see anything that dont look normal, everything seams to be running at around the level it should be except one the "-12" volt is running at -7.4 volt. Iv used 3 different programmes & each give me this reading. Could this have anything to do with the system crashing while loading games?

I would be so great fully with any help on either issue

Cheers

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
See if you can get a hold of a PSU that is known to br functioning correctly and test your system again.

This sounds like a power or heat problem.

mrfun1981

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009

Nice idea, but i dont know any one with a PSU power full enough for my PC

Yeah i did mean DDR2,

The games im trying to play only need 512MB memory, so i dont see why i cant get away with 1GB for the time being. But you may be right about needing 2GB because i used to have the 7600 in a P4 3GHZ system with 2GB DDR & it worked fine loading the same games up.

Iv since tried using the on board graphics which load all the games up with out any problems, The on board is HD 3300 which according to this site is a step down from the 7600GS.

So i really cant understand why the 7600GS cant load the games.

Anyone got any ideas how i can try & save the 9800GT please?

Get 4gb of corsair ram. It is only $19.99 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184
The vga card alone will use 512 mb of ram. Add space for the os, leaves little room for your game. Don't bother trying to go with 2gb either. At $20 4gb is cheap.
Here is some more reason to go to 4gb.:
http://www.corsairmemory.com/_appnotes/AN804_Gaming_Performance_Analysis.pdf
a 32 bit os will only see about 3.5gb, but that is still a lot better than 2gb.