user1964

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
This is really bugging me because I've gone through so many monitors and still not got a good picture and all the manufacturers say there isn't a problem.....BUT THERE IS......I'm not mad (crazy) really!!!!

1920x1080 monitors are not that good when connected by HDMI. I get better (sharper) pictrures via VGA and DVI. No one will agree with me but I see it with my own eyes. The best way to describe it is that DVI connectivity (and VGA with a good cable) is like drawing text and lines with a hard pencil (2H) whereas HDMI is like drawing with a soft pencil (2B). The HDMI image is out of focus, in my experience darker and is not pixel:pixel mapped.

Ive tried Samsung T260 & HD and Panasonic (can't remember the model) and LG M2394D displays and they all exhibit the same type of issue. What I notice is that with DVI or VGA the dispay registers the input at 1920x1080 60hz whereas with HDMI it is always 1080p. It is this 1080p processing that seems to screw things up big time. I think its down to the colour pixel mapping which I don't see anywhere on the DVI menu but there seems to be a limited choice on the HDMI menu of 2 or 4 entries. Eg.. YCbCr 4:4:4 (or 2:2:2)pixel format and RGB 4:4:4 Full (or limited). I believe this to be to do with the colour mapping used for different media. This isn't specified in DVI. Maybe it's implicit but why can't I connect via HDMI and use the same processing as with DVI instead of this extra processing and scaling which obviously messes with the image and is no good for HiRes computer text etc.

On the ATI command centre when the monitor is connected via DVI it is called a digital display with very few settings accessible but if I use HDMI the command centre sees it as DTV and then gives all these extra parameters. I've even used the same cable, same computer and same monitor but just changed the monitor input from HDMI to DVI (using an adapter) and see the same issue.

If anyone has a solution please let me know. I can't beleive that I'm the only one with this problem. It seems to me to be a serious flaw somewhere in the implementation of HDMI but I don't seem to be able to convince LG or Samsung of this. I'm going off my trolly!!!!!! (a polite UK saying for getting really F***ed up in the head)!

Cheers :)

mrintense

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
You might have a cheap HDMI CABLE I have both one to a 46inch samsung and one to a Dell 24inch with no problems on either