Sign in with
Your question

Modern Graphics Cards failure rates

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 17, 2009 10:38:12 PM

This is an interesting little article about card and vendor reliability. Should put an end to that tripe about ATI cards not being as reliable as Nvidia's that I tend to hear annoyingly often. Either that, or fan the flames :) 

http://gpucafe.com/2009/03/modern-graphics-card-failure...

What I found really interesting was that, of all the cards, the hotter-than-hell ATI HD 4850 had the lowest failure rates of all the cards on their list. I guess it really IS happy with those 100 degree celsius load temps ;) 

The worst showing was by far the GTX280, with a 10% failure rate.
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2009 11:37:18 PM

Ive had 4 nVidia cards all die on me in the last 6 or 7 years .

None lasted as long as the computer they were installed in . None was still in the warranty period when it died .

I have a 4850 now which is my first ATI card . Too soon to tell if it will last but the CCC is much better than any nVidia software
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2009 1:07:43 AM

The best Nvidia card I ever had was a 5700LE. It never failed me in 3 months then I 'upgraded' to a 6600gt which had more issues than all my other gfx cards and cpus put together. Great card, it just never really worked properly. :p  Then I had an 8800gt which lasted 8 months before I had to RMA it.

To be fair, I've also had two borked ATI's though I was very impressed at how quickly I was given replacements for them. I read somewhere that ~1% of gpu's break - I must be at least doubling that percentage all by myself. :D 
Related resources
March 18, 2009 1:15:50 AM

only card that failed on me was the X800Xl, no other card has ever died on me:) 

EDIT: 8800 GTS 320, DOA:) 
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 18, 2009 10:39:07 AM

Funny that the only card i had die so far :whistle:  was a x800xl mine was powercolor but it did fair duty first, and it was second hand when i got it so i didnt feel to hard done by.

Mactronix
March 18, 2009 11:14:39 AM

same here!!!!!!!

Powercolor, didn't require a connector:)  Mine just started showing pink pixels, then static, then it wouldn't boot into windows, and last just dead:) 
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 18, 2009 11:28:45 AM

Yep similar mine put a pink tinge on the screen, i changed the cable and it seemed to fix it, but now you say that it makes sence.
Wouldnt boot and dropped out of games. Personally i think it may have been a heat issue as the fan was quite small on those.

Mactronix :) 
March 18, 2009 12:16:08 PM

yeah, but my room had an AC blowing right next to the computer before, and I replaced the thermal paste. SOooooo I dunno. But it was still a bomb card, maxed out almost everything from its time:D 
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 18, 2009 2:20:58 PM

Yep good times, best bang for buck for its time :love:  especially if unlike me :cry:  you were lucky enough to get the right core of the two which could bios flash to a x850 XTPE.

Mactronix
March 18, 2009 3:47:37 PM

haha never tried it:p , those days are pretty much over with the flashes:( 

<3 9500 Pro for ever haha 9700 pro softmod:D 
!