Solved

Cooling needs to Overclock Intel i5 661 to 4.0GHz?

I have been toying around with overclocking my computer, but have always reverted back to stock speeds after a few minutes because I am only using the fan that originally came with my CPU for cooling. I have an Intel i5 661 @3.33 GHz, which other's have reliably brought up to 4.0GHz. I got up to that speed long enough to run benchmarking with PassMark. Before I put more stress on the system to evaluate my configuration, I would like to upgrade my cooling to something that would allow me to run at a high clock speed for an extended period of time.

A special consideration for my particular rig is that it is in an Antec Fusion Black HTPC case that doesn't offer a lot of room. A CPU fan would have to have a maximum height of 5", and any water cooling parts would have to fit inside an area about 1.5x the size of a CD-ROM bay on the inside, or on the outside. Please let me know if that is unrealistic.

Here is my CPU-Z. Any thoughts unrelated to cooling are also greatly appreciated.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4416/cpuzt.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cooling overclock intel 0ghz
  1. What temperatures were you getting with your current heatsink?

Don't have any suggestions for new heatsinks really, as my usual recommendations are enormous, but I will say that it is possible to mount a radiator externally if you want to go with liquid cooling.
  2. To answer your question I played Crysis Warhead for about 30 minutes while Real Temp GT was running. I know hours of Prime95 would be ideal, but I don't want to serious stress my system without a serious cooling solution. My temperatures stayed ~60C with a high of 72C.

I thought I would add some detailed specifications:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8547/systems.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  3. I love the 32nm cpu's. They run cool. Do not worry too much about damaging your cpu from heat. It will throttle itself if it gets too hot. In a HTPC case you will need a low profile cooler. I suggest the Scythe big shuriken:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185129

Water cooling defeats the purpose of a small form factor case, and the cooling benefits are marginal. Noise will also be an issue. Almost any oem cooler with a 120mm fan will be much better than stock and give you a reasonable stable overclock.
  4. Thanks :). I ran the PassMark BurnIn Max Heat test and my temperatures went up to 85C after about 20 minutes. How hot is too hot?
  5. Best answer
    jsphdickens said:
    Thanks :). I ran the PassMark BurnIn Max Heat test and my temperatures went up to 85C after about 20 minutes. How hot is too hot?

I think >75c is too hot.

Run prime95 and select the option to check for rounding errors. When the overclock starts to fail, you will see rounding errors. If you run clean, I think you are good to go for normal work. While running the test, use cpu-z to verify that your multiplier and clock rate is not being reduced to protect the cpu from itself.
  6. Best answer selected by jsphdickens.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Cooling Intel i5 Product