WMP9 Problem with streaming...

October 12, 2004 1:15:13 PM

I'm trying to see a video streaming from WMServices Server. The PPC
WMplayer9 go well until the video stop after few seconds, never more that 3
minutes,.
I'm using one acces point (Wifi) and a PPC X30 wifi 624mhz Dell with Windows
CE 2003, and a video streaming bitrate over 1mbps.

But when a play the same video directly from disk, (streaming saved to disk)
the player go well, and don't stop. I was testing the same video stream with
a table PC with Wifi, and WMplayer go well.

Any Idea?

regards
caridy

More about : wmp9 problem streaming

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 6:38:04 PM

I can tell you for nothing, you'll be unlikely to get the Dell to pick
up 1mbps reliably over WLAN, regardless of the actual ratings of the
802.11b chipset and AP.

I believe the maximum recommended bitrate for PPC media player 9
hovers somewhere around 5-600kbps, any more than that is wasted as the
screen is only 320x240, can handle maybe 15fps, and 16bit 44khz audio
doesn't take up much of that 600kbps. (Not that you'll tell the
difference through the PPC audio hardware between 22k and 44k anyway!)

Why not use one of the specific WM for PPC profiles in the encoder,
most of them average out at about 225kbps.

PS whats a table PC ? Did you mean Tablet PC ? It's a fully fledged
PC, wheras a PPC is a portable souped up PDA. Don't expect it to be
able to replicate the performance of a desktop class machine.

HTH
Cheers - Neil

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:15:13 -0500, "Caridy" <caridy@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to see a video streaming from WMServices Server. The PPC
>WMplayer9 go well until the video stop after few seconds, never more that 3
>minutes,.
>I'm using one acces point (Wifi) and a PPC X30 wifi 624mhz Dell with Windows
>CE 2003, and a video streaming bitrate over 1mbps.
>
>But when a play the same video directly from disk, (streaming saved to disk)
>the player go well, and don't stop. I was testing the same video stream with
>a table PC with Wifi, and WMplayer go well.
>
>Any Idea?
>
>regards
>caridy

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 10:12:14 PM

When I was receiving 225kbs video streaming with Wi-Fi on Dell Axim X30, I
experienced frequent display interrupt due to buffering.

Why?

Thanks,
TSK

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I can tell you for nothing, you'll be unlikely to get the Dell to pick
> up 1mbps reliably over WLAN, regardless of the actual ratings of the
> 802.11b chipset and AP.
>
> I believe the maximum recommended bitrate for PPC media player 9
> hovers somewhere around 5-600kbps, any more than that is wasted as the
> screen is only 320x240, can handle maybe 15fps, and 16bit 44khz audio
> doesn't take up much of that 600kbps. (Not that you'll tell the
> difference through the PPC audio hardware between 22k and 44k anyway!)
>
> Why not use one of the specific WM for PPC profiles in the encoder,
> most of them average out at about 225kbps.
>
> PS whats a table PC ? Did you mean Tablet PC ? It's a fully fledged
> PC, wheras a PPC is a portable souped up PDA. Don't expect it to be
> able to replicate the performance of a desktop class machine.
>
> HTH
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:15:13 -0500, "Caridy" <caridy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to see a video streaming from WMServices Server. The PPC
> >WMplayer9 go well until the video stop after few seconds, never more that
3
> >minutes,.
> >I'm using one acces point (Wifi) and a PPC X30 wifi 624mhz Dell with
Windows
> >CE 2003, and a video streaming bitrate over 1mbps.
> >
> >But when a play the same video directly from disk, (streaming saved to
disk)
> >the player go well, and don't stop. I was testing the same video stream
with
> >a table PC with Wifi, and WMplayer go well.
> >
> >Any Idea?
> >
> >regards
> >caridy

October 13, 2004 2:53:36 PM

Now that *is* more of an odd result, it should be able to keep up.

When you say streaming, do you mean from the encoder, or from a file
on your PC ? Also, how much other network traffic was hapenning on
your wifi network - is it reproducible with nothing else downloading ?

Cheers - Neil

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:12:14 -0700, "TSK" <eonekim@cox.net> wrote:

>When I was receiving 225kbs video streaming with Wi-Fi on Dell Axim X30, I
>experienced frequent display interrupt due to buffering.
>
>Why?
>
>Thanks,
>TSK
>

>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I can tell you for nothing, you'll be unlikely to get the Dell to pick
>> up 1mbps reliably over WLAN, regardless of the actual ratings of the
>> 802.11b chipset and AP.
>>
>> I believe the maximum recommended bitrate for PPC media player 9
>> hovers somewhere around 5-600kbps, any more than that is wasted as the
>> screen is only 320x240, can handle maybe 15fps, and 16bit 44khz audio
>> doesn't take up much of that 600kbps. (Not that you'll tell the
>> difference through the PPC audio hardware between 22k and 44k anyway!)
>>
>> Why not use one of the specific WM for PPC profiles in the encoder,
>> most of them average out at about 225kbps.
>>
>> PS whats a table PC ? Did you mean Tablet PC ? It's a fully fledged
>> PC, wheras a PPC is a portable souped up PDA. Don't expect it to be
>> able to replicate the performance of a desktop class machine.
>>
>> HTH
>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:15:13 -0500, "Caridy" <caridy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm trying to see a video streaming from WMServices Server. The PPC
>> >WMplayer9 go well until the video stop after few seconds, never more that
>3
>> >minutes,.
>> >I'm using one acces point (Wifi) and a PPC X30 wifi 624mhz Dell with
>Windows
>> >CE 2003, and a video streaming bitrate over 1mbps.
>> >
>> >But when a play the same video directly from disk, (streaming saved to
>disk)
>> >the player go well, and don't stop. I was testing the same video stream
>with
>> >a table PC with Wifi, and WMplayer go well.
>> >
>> >Any Idea?
>> >
>> >regards
>> >caridy

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:15:05 PM

Hi Neils:

I was exposing a critical coditions, but I was testing from a default
profile to PPC in WME9 until a custum profile at 1mbps bitrate and in all
cases I was expected the same problem, the player stop before 3 minute, and
I have to click on Play bottom again to continue with de streaming, the
interesting thing is that the player don't report buffering o another
problem.

I was using the same PPC that "TSK" (Wi-Fi on Dell Axim X30) and my wifi
network have a minimun traffic.

And I was testing with a PPC to check the wifi, not to compare the
performance with the PPC, and the wifi was well in this case.

Any Idea?

Thanks,
Caridy

> Now that *is* more of an odd result, it should be able to keep up.
>
> When you say streaming, do you mean from the encoder, or from a file
> on your PC ? Also, how much other network traffic was hapenning on
> your wifi network - is it reproducible with nothing else downloading ?
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:12:14 -0700, "TSK" <eonekim@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >When I was receiving 225kbs video streaming with Wi-Fi on Dell Axim X30,
> >experienced frequent display interrupt due to buffering.
> >
> >Why?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >TSK
> >

> >"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> I can tell you for nothing, you'll be unlikely to get the Dell to pick
> >> up 1mbps reliably over WLAN, regardless of the actual ratings of the
> >> 802.11b chipset and AP.
> >>
> >> I believe the maximum recommended bitrate for PPC media player 9
> >> hovers somewhere around 5-600kbps, any more than that is wasted as the
> >> screen is only 320x240, can handle maybe 15fps, and 16bit 44khz audio
> >> doesn't take up much of that 600kbps. (Not that you'll tell the
> >> difference through the PPC audio hardware between 22k and 44k anyway!)
> >>
> >> Why not use one of the specific WM for PPC profiles in the encoder,
> >> most of them average out at about 225kbps.
> >>
> >> PS whats a table PC ? Did you mean Tablet PC ? It's a fully fledged
> >> PC, wheras a PPC is a portable souped up PDA. Don't expect it to be
> >> able to replicate the performance of a desktop class machine.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >> Cheers - Neil

> >3
> >Windows

> >disk)
> >with

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 8:19:58 PM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:15:05 -0500, "Caridy" <caridy@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Neils:
>
>I was exposing a critical coditions, but I was testing from a default
>profile to PPC in WME9 until a custum profile at 1mbps bitrate and in all
>cases I was expected the same problem, the player stop before 3 minute, and
>I have to click on Play bottom again to continue with de streaming, the
>interesting thing is that the player don't report buffering o another
>problem.

I am having difficulty understanding your english description ;-)

Anyway - my suggestion if you want to try this, is to make an encoding
profile using 225kbps (default) then slowly increase the bitrate, lets
say to 400, 600, 800, 1mbps until you observe buffering. This will be
the maximium bitrate that your device can handle.

Hope that helps - Cheers, Neil

>I was using the same PPC that "TSK" (Wi-Fi on Dell Axim X30) and my wifi
>network have a minimun traffic.
>
>And I was testing with a PPC to check the wifi, not to compare the
>performance with the PPC, and the wifi was well in this case.
>
>Any Idea?
>
>Thanks,
>Caridy
>
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Now that *is* more of an odd result, it should be able to keep up.
>>
>> When you say streaming, do you mean from the encoder, or from a file
>> on your PC ? Also, how much other network traffic was hapenning on
>> your wifi network - is it reproducible with nothing else downloading ?
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:12:14 -0700, "TSK" <eonekim@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> >When I was receiving 225kbs video streaming with Wi-Fi on Dell Axim X30,
>> >experienced frequent display interrupt due to buffering.
>> >
>> >Why?
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >TSK
>> >

>> >"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message

>that
>> >3
>> >Windows

>> >disk)
>stream
>> >with

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 8:19:59 PM

Hi Neils:

Sorry about my english :-|
The problem is that using the default profile, the problem persist (wmp9
stop the video), exactly with the same patron that when I was using a 1 mbps
profile, and don't report any buffer error, or nothing like this.

Thanx.
caridy

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:15:05 -0500, "Caridy" <caridy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Neils:
> >
> >I was exposing a critical coditions, but I was testing from a default
> >profile to PPC in WME9 until a custum profile at 1mbps bitrate and in all
> >cases I was expected the same problem, the player stop before 3 minute,
and
> >I have to click on Play bottom again to continue with de streaming, the
> >interesting thing is that the player don't report buffering o another
> >problem.
>
> I am having difficulty understanding your english description ;-)
>
> Anyway - my suggestion if you want to try this, is to make an encoding
> profile using 225kbps (default) then slowly increase the bitrate, lets
> say to 400, 600, 800, 1mbps until you observe buffering. This will be
> the maximium bitrate that your device can handle.
>
> Hope that helps - Cheers, Neil
>

> >I was using the same PPC that "TSK" (Wi-Fi on Dell Axim X30) and my wifi
> >network have a minimun traffic.
> >
> >And I was testing with a PPC to check the wifi, not to compare the
> >performance with the PPC, and the wifi was well in this case.
> >
> >Any Idea?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Caridy
> >
> >"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Now that *is* more of an odd result, it should be able to keep up.
> >>
> >> When you say streaming, do you mean from the encoder, or from a file
> >> on your PC ? Also, how much other network traffic was hapenning on
> >> your wifi network - is it reproducible with nothing else downloading ?
> >>
> >> Cheers - Neil

X30,

> >that

> >stream

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 8:20:00 PM

I mean that streaming video over the Internet from server with 265kbps. I am
using 'WMProfile_V80_256Video' system profile to streaming live video. When
I put PPC on the cradle, it displays video well. I found later that PPC uses
desktop LAN instead of PPC Wi-Fi. As soon as I take it out from the cradle.
It stops displying video due to buffering.

Neil, do I have a problem on wirless bandth? However my notebook with D-Link
Xtreme G Wireless Notebook Adapter works find. How can I check the upload
and download speed for PPC?

Caridy, I agree with Neil that you cannot expect smooth video display for
1mbps video streaming.

Thanks,
TSK

"Caridy" <caridy@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o u#WjEWsEHA.1520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi Neils:
>
> Sorry about my english :-|
> The problem is that using the default profile, the problem persist (wmp9
> stop the video), exactly with the same patron that when I was using a 1
mbps
> profile, and don't report any buffer error, or nothing like this.
>
> Thanx.
> caridy
>
> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:15:05 -0500, "Caridy" <caridy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi Neils:
> > >
> > >I was exposing a critical coditions, but I was testing from a default
> > >profile to PPC in WME9 until a custum profile at 1mbps bitrate and in
all
> > >cases I was expected the same problem, the player stop before 3 minute,
> and
> > >I have to click on Play bottom again to continue with de streaming, the
> > >interesting thing is that the player don't report buffering o another
> > >problem.
> >
> > I am having difficulty understanding your english description ;-)
> >
> > Anyway - my suggestion if you want to try this, is to make an encoding
> > profile using 225kbps (default) then slowly increase the bitrate, lets
> > say to 400, 600, 800, 1mbps until you observe buffering. This will be
> > the maximium bitrate that your device can handle.
> >
> > Hope that helps - Cheers, Neil
> >

> > >I was using the same PPC that "TSK" (Wi-Fi on Dell Axim X30) and my
wifi
> > >network have a minimun traffic.
> > >
> > >And I was testing with a PPC to check the wifi, not to compare the
> > >performance with the PPC, and the wifi was well in this case.
> > >
> > >Any Idea?
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Caridy
> > >
> > >"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message

> X30,

> pick

> the
> audio
> anyway!)

PPC
> more
> > >that
> with

> > >stream

Anonymous
October 14, 2004 3:23:11 AM

Hi TSK, I was searching documentation about this problem, and testing, and
the problem start when I hand up the X30 PPC without power cord.
And then I found some peoples with the same problem and the same patron
(streaming video over wifi).

Any idea?

thanx
caridy

"TSK" <eonekim@cox.net> wrote in message
> I mean that streaming video over the Internet from server with 265kbps. I
am
> using 'WMProfile_V80_256Video' system profile to streaming live video.
When
> I put PPC on the cradle, it displays video well. I found later that PPC
uses
> desktop LAN instead of PPC Wi-Fi. As soon as I take it out from the
cradle.
> It stops displying video due to buffering.
>
> Neil, do I have a problem on wirless bandth? However my notebook with
D-Link
> Xtreme G Wireless Notebook Adapter works find. How can I check the upload
> and download speed for PPC?
>
> Caridy, I agree with Neil that you cannot expect smooth video display for
> 1mbps video streaming.
>
> Thanks,
> TSK
>
> "Caridy" <caridy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o u#WjEWsEHA.1520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Neils:
> >
> > Sorry about my english :-|
> > The problem is that using the default profile, the problem persist (wmp9
> > stop the video), exactly with the same patron that when I was using a 1
> mbps
> > profile, and don't report any buffer error, or nothing like this.
> >
> > Thanx.
> > caridy
> >
> > "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message

> all
> > and
> > >
> > > I am having difficulty understanding your english description ;-)
> > >
> > > Anyway - my suggestion if you want to try this, is to make an encoding
> > > profile using 225kbps (default) then slowly increase the bitrate, lets
> > > say to 400, 600, 800, 1mbps until you observe buffering. This will be
> > > the maximium bitrate that your device can handle.
> > >
> > > Hope that helps - Cheers, Neil

> wifi

> ?

Axim
> > X30,

> > pick

> the

> > the
> > audio
> > anyway!)

> encoder,

> fledged
> be

> PPC
> > more
> > with

> saved

April 23, 2005 1:53:02 PM

I have the same problem. I'm using Dell X50V. I think it is the problem of
adjusting buffer size. Is there any idea in adjusting the buffer size of WMP
of PPC?

Wilson
From Hong Kong

!