Networking Issue in Vista

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I've been using Vista for over a year now and have had no network troubles until the last week or two. My laptop and my desktop can no longer seem to fullly communicate. When trying to view either over the network or see hard drives in either system across the network I get an error saying

\\computer name is not accesssible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon Failure: The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

Both computer are in the same workgroup. I have the same user account setup on both computers (and previously when I didnt I would simply get a popup asking for credentials). Everything else seems to work fine. I run my computer as a media server. My PS3 and Xbox 360 have no trouble connecting to my desktop. I can even use the laptop and remote into the desktop so I know they can see each other. I have the hard drives / folders I want setup for sharing, have the permissions set etc... Both computer are running avg anti-virus with the windows firewall enabled. Things worked fine until sometime within the last month I would say. I did have to do a reinstall of Vista about a month ago, not sure if I have had it working since then or not. I am out of ideas on what it can be causing this trouble.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Got it mostly figured out. Forgot about the stupid security tab settings. Had to edit the security and add everyone to the security group even though the drive was already shared.