First Build - $1000 Budget...Help Would Be Much Appreciated

Random0808

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Hi

Ive been scouring the forums here for about a month, and Ive now come to the decision that I would like to build my first computer

So, budget is $1000 as the title suggests

COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKR2-GP Black SECC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 650W Power Supply - I'm unsure about this, because of the PSU. It seems like a good deal, but I don't want a cheap PSU

Other than that, I have no real preferences, except it must be quad core and have an HD4870 1GB, or better GPU. A keyboard and mouse would be good too. I have a 19" LCD at the moment, but I will upgrade to a 22-24" in the near future, so the potential of the 4870 wont be wasted.

I do plan to overclock

No SLI/XFire please

I'm open to all suggestions

By the way, the budget can be exceeded by about $100-200, but no more than that.

All components must be available in the USA.

I think that's about it, but correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks,
Random
:bounce:

Random0808

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
So are you saying I should discard the PSU that comes with that case? Because if so, I will just get an Antec 900 and be done with it

Absolutely toss the Cooler Master. They haven't ever put their name on more than a few good PSUs, and that's not one of them. Cooler Master and Thermaltake both would do well to concentrate on cases, although I think a few of TTs high end PSUs are good.

Also, $160 is NOT a good deal:

Cooler master 690 80 bucks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

Modular Seasonic 500W 90 bucks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151056

PC P&C 750W 90 bucks after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011&Tpk=S75CF

BFG modular 680W 110 bucks after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702013

Those are some pretty good deals.

Random0808

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I would prefer a modular PSU over a non modular, as my cable management skills arent all that good (ive been playing around with a few old computers you see)

That BFG PSU has horrible reviews on newegg Proximon, are you sure you meant that PSU?

The Seasonic looks good though, I'm just wondering if 500W is enough + OC'ing headroom

Ive already considered that PC P&C, and its an awesome deal, but it isnt modular. Maybe I'm being too picky about that, and I should just try and manage my cables

Random0808

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I prefer the Corsair there, but that seems like more than I would have thought to have paid for a PSU, but I guess thats my mistake

I need to get this thing priced up

So,

Case - CM RC-690
CPU - Q6600
GPU - ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB Sapphire
CPU HSF - Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283
Mobo - Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
PSU - PC P&C 750W/Corsair 620HX
HDD - WD Caviar Black 640GB
Ram - G. Skill PI 4G 2x2GB Kit?
OS - Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
Thermal Paste - MX-2 (this is the non-conductive one right, as I'm 100% sure I will spill it :( )
More case fans

I also need a mouse and keyboard....G15 and G7/9?

Oh yeah, did I even specify that this rig is for gaming? wow....i may have epicly failed here

Have I left anything out, I'm quite tired lol :)

Maybe a DVD burner?

Any SATA burner is fine really. You can sometimes get some extra software is you spend a few dollars more on a retail version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827140034
HP has been very successful in my experience in error handling. This comes up when you watch a DVD and encounter a scratch... a poor player will lock up or stop working, a good player will recover.

I still prefer my G15/G5 combo, if you can find the G5. That's the cord model with the weights so you can adjust how heavy the mouse is. Well, I guess the G9 is almost as good :p

As long as you get a decent OC on that Q6600 you'll be set to game. I would have gone with an E8500, but then I don't multi task much and keep a lean system tray.

I think you have a good list there.
Unless you main game is FSX or supreme commander, you would be better served by a fast duo like the E8500.
Today, very few games can make use of more than two cores.
Flight simulator X and supreme commander are exceptions. It is not a trivial matter to code multi threaded programs,
and game vendors will not sell too many games that require quads to run.
I don't see this changing in the next couple of years.

Mice and keyboards are a very personal thing. See if you can go to a store and touch them first.

As proximon suggested, you need a dvd burner. Samsung has been good for me, and it is quiet.

Shopping tips for Vista:
1) Do you qualify for an academic license?
If so, you can get Vista at a discounted price.
2) Look for an upgrade version of home premium instead of OEM.
Upgrade is a retail version which gives you support from microsoft, unlike OEM(AKA system builder),
and allows a more hassel-free ability to transfer the os to a different pc(motherboard).
For $10, microsoft will send you the 64 bit DVD.
I saw Vista home premium upgrade recently at Costco for $85, amazon for $89.
There is a legitimate two step instalation process to install an upgrade version
You install vista from the cd, but do not initially enter the product code.

Just tell the install which version you bought, and do not activate.
After it installs, you have a fully functional vista for 30 days.
Step 2 is to insert the cd again, while running vista and then do an upgrade.
This time, enter your product code, and activate.
After activation. you may delete the initial version which is named windows.old.

3) Do you possibly need Ultimate? There are very few features that the home user would want.
Check out the differences on the microsoft Vista web site.
If you get a retail or upgrade version, you will still be able to upgrade to ultimate later.

---good luck---

Random0808

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009

I want to stay with quad-core for the VERY slight futureproofing it will give me over dual-core. I do multi-task a lot as well, so I believe it will help me.

About Vista Ultimate....I don't really think I will need it. I have Home Premium 32-Bit and it's serving me fine just now, so i want the 64-Bit so I have the option of using more than 3GB RAM

Thanks for the suggestions though, I will keep them in mind.

Random0808

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009

The DVD Burner looks like a good deal, thanks for the heads up dude :)

Also, I like the look of the G5 as well, so I guess I will go with that

My only query now is whether to go with the
Logitech G15 104 Normal Keys 29 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Retail
or the
Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - Retail

Random0808

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009

Yeah im really not feeling the orange...it will completely mess up my whole build, as there will be mostly blue and black, then this random orange and silver keyboard :eek:

I think I may just get the Saitek and the G5

Are there any standards I should keep to when looking for case fans, or does that really not matter

Also, any recommendations on Monitors? (22-24" btw)

Thanks
Random
:bounce:

Random0808

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Thanks Proximon

Zorg, don't I get that retention bracket with the Xigmtek Dark Knight S1283 anyway?

And yeah, I think I will just go with the red PC P&C 750W...I really wanted to g modular, but I can't find a decent one in my price range

Random0808

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
OK

1) My girlfriend gets more than just decent meals

2) That post sees to contradict every benchmark I've seen where the PII has been put against the i7 920

I have to ask, are you an AMD fanboy? I'm not merely going by that one link, but I have seen many posts of yours where you slander Intel and proclaim AMD's greatness. With me, I couldn't care less who manufactures any of my components. Once they work well, and do exactly what they are required to do, then I'm fine.

By the way, I'm just asking, I'm not meaning to cause offense. Curiosity has gotten the better of me that's all :)

sorry to hear your girlfriend eats too much .

No , I dont slander intel [ and I challenge you to find any place I have ] , but I do get tired a bit of the intel fanboys who think they can get more performance out of a single gfx card set up similar to the one you are proposing by using a more powerful Ci7 processor .
It just doesnt happen . Of course some people have too much money and dont mind wasting it , but for those with a budget of say $1000 you get a better more balanced and probably longer lived PC by using the Pll 940.
If you have a thousand dollars to spend on gfx cards the story is different and a Ci7 makes sense. YOU dont have that budget though so you might as well spend your money wisely .
If you dont believe Toms benchmarks then take that up with them . Im sure they will be amused to hear you think they lie .

Using a slower older power hungry intel quad is also a viable choice , but it doesnt have an upgrade path . The Pll does since Plll processors should work in an AM2+ mb for the next several years .

My computer is C2D . It will be a while before I upgrade again , but if I was buying today then it would probably be a Pll. And no, I doesnt bother me that the site is overwhelmingly full of intel fanboys

By the way, I'm not meaning to cause offense. I just thought I'd let you know a better option :)

This would be my $999 config
999P2X4.jpg

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Your right, I should have looked more closely. It's about time they sold one that included the backplate.

If you guys are going to throw benchmarks around demonstrating how PII 940 is superior, don't you think you should use builds that are as fast? I already know PII 940 is a good CPU.

A questionable Nvidia chipset and an AMD 780 doesn't do it for me. I know what a P45 chipset will do, but I have no figures for PII on either of those. Throw in a 790GX or FX and then I might sign on.

Random0808

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009

Haha I agree with you.....I was seriously contemplating the PII 940 anyway. I think that as soon as I had said it needs to be quad-core, people assumed I meant an Intel, as the Q6600 was immediately mentioned. Sorry for my foolishness :)