Advice needed about new build

timmehxd

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Hi everybody, I recently built a new computer and i was wondering if I'd need a cooler or if i should just leave it alone. My build is :

AMD phenom II x4 955 BE
XFX 5770
asus 790GX
G. Skill ripjaw 4gb ram (2x2gb)
Antec 300 Illusion + 650W PSU( Corsair i think, i'll have to check later).

Anyways, I just wanted to know if i would need a cooler or this build will stay cool without it.

ahumphers91

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Just buy some zero therm. Take the stock paste off that comes on the heatsink. I bought a zalman 9700 110mm and used the paste that came with it and was having shutdows because too high of temps on my Overclock. I remembered I had some Zero therm and put that on and boom, dropped my temps 35 degrees Celsius!

ahumphers91

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
not sure what the width of the antec 300 is, but I have an Apevia X-Navigator with a Zalman 9700 in it fits 2.5-3 inches clearance at the side of the case. I'm not sure like I said, mine is a full tower. just look at the specs and you should be good. I also have G-skill ripjaws and they are perfect if put in the dimms closest to the heatsink. Yeah, im up to 3.84 ghz with mine and runs under a load at 50 C.

Scary lol.

You think it might have been useful to mention OCing in the original post? Good thing he asked lol.

As for fit - measure your case around the cpu socket, and compare it to the measurements of the cooler you are looking at. Makes sense, no?

One of them is bound to fit, right? If in doubt when you have a candidate or two, come bck and ask.

ahumphers91

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
a suggestion would be don't too high on that OC until you get a good cooler! Mine has a 110mm Fan and heat pipes. At idle i'm running at 37.6 C core temp. I have 4 case fans, my cpu fan, and psu has a fan. My case has good cooling, make sure your fans are in a good position ( intake and exhaust ) you gotta get cool air in and hot air out. I would say max with the stock cooler I would go 3.4 and thats it. Like I said, it depends on how well your cooling and how that zero therm is working for you ;)