I am looking for AM3 motherboard which support DDR2.

ahtze

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Hello, any recommendation? I don't need a sli or crossfire motherboard.

I am checking on newegg but most of the motherboards have Onboard Video Chipset. Should I avoid them?

I remember people used to tell me not to buy motherboards with onboard video chipset. Has the thing changed?

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
There's no reason to avoid chipsets with onboard video (e.g. 780g, 790g). It's just a matter of personal preference. You could opt not to use the integrated video, anyway.

expensive mobos usually have solid capacitors, higher power cycles, better heatsinks, larger memory and cpu supports, more pci-e slots, etc. Of course, costs more. :)

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I use this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128382&Tpk=ga-ma780g-ud3h

The crossfire is crap (x16/x4), so ignore it. If you plan to add a videocard anyway, you can ignore the integrated video as well, since if not being used, it doesn't do anything anyway, but is good to have should your card die. But if you don't want to shell out for a videocard, the 3200HD integrated is pretty good, and can serve most of your needs short of intense 3D gaming.

I am using an AM3 CPU in mine with ddr2. It has been a pretty great Mobo, and I would recommend it to anyway who doesn't desire Crossfire or SLI.

You wont need to spend $200 to meet your needs. If that is the budget for the Mobo (and not the entire build) you just got enough headroom for a decent video card as well.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

First of all, you aren't looking for an AM3 motherboard with DDR2 support as there is no such thing. You're looking for an AM2+ motherboard that supports AM3 processors, and that's pretty much universal.

790FX chipset doesn't have onboard video.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Well then there's always the 790X

aelyan

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
So do you mean you want a motherboard that can take AM3 chips or that has an AM3 socket? If its the latter, why would you want an AM3 socket and DDR2? I feel that it is akin to buying a V6 engine and sticking it in a yugo, while awesome and cheap seriously limits you.

I say if you want the AM3 socket, just go one more and get DDR3, getting the AM3 motherboard regardless of if it supports DDR2 will be costly and while DDR3 is costlier, it is worth it in the long run if you have a motherboard that supports it. As you will have a motherboard that supports DDR3 since most if not all AM3 mobos do so, why not?

Now if it is the former, then just get a regular AM2+, those guys do support AM3 chips and have DDR2 ram slots.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

AM3 socket IS AM2+ socket, the difference is under the socket. AM3 motherboards are DDR3. So that means he wants an AM2+ motherboard and got lost in the lingo.