Did I overclock my i5 760 correctly?

Cookieeater

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Hi, I have an Asrock p55 extreme and 2x2gb of Gskills RIpjaw 9-9-9-24-2N RAM.
I'll post my Cpu-Z pictures here. I'm also using shin-etsu x23 thermal paste and a coolermaster hyper 212 plus. Right now, my temperatures reach load at about 70 degrees celsius or so, it'll probably go do lower once I lower the voltage a bit more. Is this an acceptable temperature?

http://gyazo.com/713d3b8aaf26b0929a0960376679745e.png
http://gyazo.com/3c9aea1d5fc43d008865ff30daca0f1a.png

I did not change my ram voltage at all because I heard it's easy to fry ram. I also ran the blend test on prime95 for about 10-15 minutes and it to run fine. I probably will leave it on overnight just to check. My main questions are about the ram, the RAM in the bios said it would run at DDR3 1440 even though my ram is rated at ddr3 1600. I realize that this is due to the multiplier. In other words, by overclocking my CPU I underclocked my RAM? Also, I disabled all the power saving options for now. When I do some more testing and see what is the absolute minimum voltage my setup will run at, should i turn back on the power saving options like the Cstatesupport? I also have to leave the turbo options off right? Thank you.

jerryl

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

I have a i7 930 that I am running at 1.15 vcore down from 1.20 stock and an OC at 3.5 from 2.8...so that provides some spread for you there.

I always run w/Power saving off (unless I am on a notebook) ...what the heck, these things don't draw that mch on the electric bill as it is to worry about whether the sys will power down at an inopportune time or not power up as needed. I think the power options are more for politically correct then functional, but that is very subjective.

The RAM part is tricky as you can OC your CPU and have the OC bring up your RAM...it all depends on how you play with the speed and multiplier. But you are right, adding extra volts to RAM can be dangerous.