Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a Fan?Heatsink? for my i7-930

Last response: in Overclocking
September 12, 2010 10:43:23 AM

Hey guys,

I just learned to OC my cpu, I currrently have it set to 3.36 ghz.

I get normal temps between 55-60 when it's idle, don't know what it's at with load.

I would like to upgrade the stock fan?heatsink? (not sure what it's called) that came with the i7-930 processor in the box.

I have the Gigabyte x58 ud3r mobo, antec 550 psu, antec 300 case, 6gb corsair xms3 ram

Also, any other cooling recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks! =D

More about : fan heatsink 930

a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2010 5:43:06 PM

^+1 The Hyper 212+ is a great choice, the only thing is, its stock fan can run a bit loud, so if you are bothered by noise just change the fans. Scythe S-Flex and Slipstreams are good. They aren't as high RPM, but they do the job. Actually the highest RPM Slipstream moves lots of air and is somewhat loud 30-something dBa if i remember correctly, but still is a million times quieter (Exaggeration!)

Review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/cooler-master-hyper-212-p...

If you want lower temps though i'd suggest two fans for push pull configuration, won't drop temps by like 10* but it will drop maybe 3-6 it'll vary.
Related resources
September 12, 2010 6:21:16 PM

thanks for the responses guys. That looks like a good one with great reviews. I would also like to mention that I don't have a price range as this is a really important component.

So far I've come across the Noctua NH-D14, h50, and h70. I don't know what else is out there that's great from what I've read. Any inputs on these or products that are better?

thanks again!
a c 182 K Overclocking
September 12, 2010 10:47:36 PM

grenwar said:
thanks for the responses guys. That looks like a good one with great reviews. I would also like to mention that I don't have a price range as this is a really important component.

So far I've come across the Noctua NH-D14, h50, and h70. I don't know what else is out there that's great from what I've read. Any inputs on these or products that are better?

thanks again!

CORSAIR CAFA70 120mm Dual-Fan CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Scythe YASYA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1389/6/
September 12, 2010 11:50:59 PM

What do you guys think about the V8 for the i7-930?
a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2010 12:41:25 AM

V8 is fine, well I use it on my 955 so i don't know, it's pretty cool, then again the max temp of a 955 vs i7 930 is pretty much way different. I'd recommend the V8 only if your getting a good bargain on it. The best of your choices would be the NH-D14, but that has many problems with clearance of ram. The best I'd say would be the Venomous X-RT. or Venomous X
September 13, 2010 6:05:15 AM

seems there are so many good options, even from Davcon's post with the tests. I have no idea which to get lol

Is there one best cooler to fit in my Antec 300 case that has good low db levels?
a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2010 3:08:14 PM

I have the Noctua D-14 and yes it is quiet and fits on that board ( same as I have) just watch for clearance of ram.. I have mushkin redlines and they fit under it.. keep in mind the d-14 hangs over 4 ram slots.. yes it is that gigantic! but temps are wonderful.. it got me to 4.41 and still get 75C under prime load so with a small oc, the fans are virtually inaudible.. my ocz stealth xtreme psu is the loudest thing in my pc.. go figure lol
September 13, 2010 7:47:18 PM

wow it hangs over 4 ram slots LOL. Is that healthy for the heating at all? I have the Corsair xms3 3x 2gb sticks.
a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2010 7:56:38 PM

oh temps will be fine and stay in safe limits.. no worries there..
a c 182 K Overclocking
September 14, 2010 3:05:16 AM

The D-14 is a great cooler no question but it wouldn't be the best choice for someone with an Antec 300.
It would take up alot of real estate in the case which isn't all that roomy to begin with.
If you want better then what i've already suggested go with TR Venomous X or one of the Prolimatech's either the Megahalems or Armageddon.
Plus you have won half the battle as far as pairing a cooler with ram.
Your ram choice is excellent for clearance as it's only 33mm tall and any cooler you choose will have basically no installation issues.
I wouldn't spend more then $50 if you don't plan on overclocking much more.
212+ @$30
Scythe Mugen 2 rev B @$40
Corsair A70 @$50
Any of those coolers will do quite fine even to 3.6Ghz .
a b K Overclocking
September 14, 2010 3:08:41 AM

^+1
Actually of those, I'd only pick the 212+ and Scythe Mugen 2, the Scythe is more quiet than the 212+ so if you really don't like loud noise, then the Mugen 2 is the way to go.
a b K Overclocking
September 14, 2010 11:59:42 AM

agree that the d-14 is overkill if you don't plane to do any serious overclocking.. yes it is quiet but the re are other quiet coolers available that don't cost so much
September 21, 2010 12:00:41 AM

Yeah I have no idea what I'm going to get. I plan on purchasing one next month when I get more money. If possible I WOULD like to OC it to 4 ghz =]
September 22, 2010 2:35:26 AM

Have you looked into the "Cool-it Vantage" water kit? Real simple to install and runs nice.
!