Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Pin mount cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 12, 2010 4:09:45 PM

any one know of a HSF, pin mount / surface mount that has a lower profile? I am not looking for extreme cooling, but something decent to replace the Intel stock HSF. I do not want to pull the mobo, at least at this time.

Thank you.

More about : pin mount cooler

Related resources
a c 130 K Overclocking
September 13, 2010 4:18:10 AM

jerryl said:
any one know of a HSF, pin mount / surface mount that has a lower profile? I am not looking for extreme cooling, but something decent to replace the Intel stock HSF. I do not want to pull the mobo, at least at this time.

Thank you.


How about the scythe big shuriken?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2010 12:38:53 PM

jerryl said:
any one know of a HSF, pin mount / surface mount that has a lower profile? I am not looking for extreme cooling, but something decent to replace the Intel stock HSF. I do not want to pull the mobo, at least at this time.

Thank you.


I recommend you get a cooler with a backplate like the hyper 212 plus because I've had the worst experience with push pins.If you insist on getting a push pin cooler,when you install it,if you fail to make the push pins go through the holes the first time and you hear the click though,don't forget to turn pushpin the other way before you try again.If you forget this and try to push it through it won't go in,and if you push it too much it might break like mine did.So to avoid all that trouble take off the motherbard and install a proper cooler.
Share
a c 130 K Overclocking
September 13, 2010 2:36:24 PM

Pushpin mount can be OK if you do it properly.


It is a pain, but the ONLY way to mount the cooler is to do it with the motherboard outside of the case.
1) The pushpins are hard to get down. If you try to do it with the mobo in the case, you will bend the motherboard and possibly cause other problems. Just put the mobo on a piece of cardboard.
2) You need to be able to look at the back of the motherboard to be certain that all 4 pins are through and locked.

First, look at the cooler, and play with the pins, until you understand how they work. Read the Intel instructions that came with your cpu. The trick is to push in a diagonal pair of pins at the same time.

I agree with BeCoolBro that backplate mounts are better, particularly if the cooler is large and heavy.
m
0
l
September 17, 2010 4:47:08 AM

Best answer selected by jerryl.
m
0
l
September 17, 2010 4:48:37 AM

BeCoolBro said:
I recommend you get a cooler with a backplate like the hyper 212 plus because I've had the worst experience with push pins.If you insist on getting a push pin cooler,when you install it,if you fail to make the push pins go through the holes the first time and you hear the click though,don't forget to turn pushpin the other way before you try again.If you forget this and try to push it through it won't go in,and if you push it too much it might break like mine did.So to avoid all that trouble take off the motherbard and install a proper cooler.



eh, took the plunge and did the back plate thingy, you conviced me, especially the part about maybe having to check the back on a push pin mount.

Got the Thermalright 120 eXtreme.....and loving it.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2010 9:22:37 PM

jerryl said:
eh, took the plunge and did the back plate thingy, you conviced me, especially the part about maybe having to check the back on a push pin mount.

Got the Thermalright 120 eXtreme.....and loving it.

Great,I'm really glad to have helped :D 
m
0
l
!