Pin mount cooler

jerryl

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
any one know of a HSF, pin mount / surface mount that has a lower profile? I am not looking for extreme cooling, but something decent to replace the Intel stock HSF. I do not want to pull the mobo, at least at this time.

Thank you.

Solution

I recommend you get a cooler with a backplate like the hyper 212 plus because I've had the worst experience with push pins.If you insist on getting a push pin cooler,when you install it,if you fail to make the push pins go through the holes the first time and you hear the click though,don't forget to turn pushpin the other way before you try again.If you forget this and try to push it through it won't go in,and if you push it too much it might break like mine did.So to avoid all that trouble take...

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

I recommend you get a cooler with a backplate like the hyper 212 plus because I've had the worst experience with push pins.If you insist on getting a push pin cooler,when you install it,if you fail to make the push pins go through the holes the first time and you hear the click though,don't forget to turn pushpin the other way before you try again.If you forget this and try to push it through it won't go in,and if you push it too much it might break like mine did.So to avoid all that trouble take off the motherbard and install a proper cooler.

Solution
Pushpin mount can be OK if you do it properly.

It is a pain, but the ONLY way to mount the cooler is to do it with the motherboard outside of the case.
1) The pushpins are hard to get down. If you try to do it with the mobo in the case, you will bend the motherboard and possibly cause other problems. Just put the mobo on a piece of cardboard.
2) You need to be able to look at the back of the motherboard to be certain that all 4 pins are through and locked.

First, look at the cooler, and play with the pins, until you understand how they work. Read the Intel instructions that came with your cpu. The trick is to push in a diagonal pair of pins at the same time.

I agree with BeCoolBro that backplate mounts are better, particularly if the cooler is large and heavy.

jerryl

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

eh, took the plunge and did the back plate thingy, you conviced me, especially the part about maybe having to check the back on a push pin mount.

Got the Thermalright 120 eXtreme.....and loving it.

BeCoolBro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

Great,I'm really glad to have helped :D