What CPU (and MB) should I get for a Sli (2x) 260GTX setup?

I'm curious what type of CPU (and MB) that can handle 2 260GTX's in SLI. I was thinking at first a 920 i7 + Rampage II gene, but then I'd figured that the people here would have a better idea what would be best for an Sli 260 GTX setup.

I don't want to spend more than 500$ on a MB/CPU combo, and I'm open to either AMD or Intel chips as long as they support Nvidia Sli.
15 answers Last reply
More about what 260gtx setup
  1. 2 x 260's in sli = 2 x ( 2+6+0+x) = 18 +2x, thats quite awesome power. I mean really, not any Cpu can handle it, but i guess that 940 is your best choice!
  2. @christopher

    Dude just give it up already. No one wants to listen to that bogus number nonsense...
  3. whats wrong with the gigabyte ex58 ud4p? its only $514.98 on newegg... is great OCer, and has the 2x PCI-E 2.0 slots... can Xfire/Sli too
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.193606

    or u can go for the cheaper ud3p...
  4. this has nothing to do with u lein...

    @ christopher:
    when does 2*(2+6)=18?
  5. micky_lund said:
    this has nothing to do with u lein...

    @ christopher:
    when does 2*(2+6)=18?



    ure right, I miscalculated that. Its 16+2x. Still quite formidable.
  6. chris:
    ur still a loser
  7. If you aren't going to do any video rendering/encoding and looking strictly for framerates and smooth gaming, I'd look at an LGA 775 board and run an e8600 at 4 plus Ghz on it. You'll have better framerates than an i7 920 which won't let you get close to 4 Ghz without extreme CPU, chipset, and memory overvoltages and even then you migh tneed liquid cooling for stability. My e8400 uses the same vcore on 3.6 Ghz as it does on stock 3 Ghz.

    Plus, e8600 and LGA 775 will save you a few hundred that you can put towards a 26" or 30" monitor to make full use of that GTX 260 sli setup.
  8. micky_lund said:
    chris:
    ur still a loser

    ur an agressive piece of crap >.<
  9. PhII 955BE / nForce 980a SLI: $390
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.191955

    955(BE) + 980(a) = FUN^10


    (It's just not the same without yah, chris ...)
  10. AKM880 said:
    For 535.00, you can get a Core i7 920 + Asus P6T V2.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190227


    very good mother board but you must look at the pci slot spacing if a have on high end video card you cover one pci slot up and now you only have 1 to play with


    you should be able to oc the new steeping corei7 to at least 3.8 if not 4.0.
  11. im sorry i just look into it more. if you sli in most if not all i7 boards you only have one pci slot.
  12. hundredislandsboy said:
    If you aren't going to do any video rendering/encoding and looking strictly for framerates and smooth gaming, I'd look at an LGA 775 board and run an e8600 at 4 plus Ghz on it. You'll have better framerates than an i7 920 which won't let you get close to 4 Ghz without extreme CPU, chipset, and memory overvoltages and even then you migh tneed liquid cooling for stability. My e8400 uses the same vcore on 3.6 Ghz as it does on stock 3 Ghz.

    Plus, e8600 and LGA 775 will save you a few hundred that you can put towards a 26" or 30" monitor to make full use of that GTX 260 sli setup.


    I would prefer to use a E8500 (its 100$ cheaper than the E8600). However, its the MB I am having difficulties picking. I don't see many Intel X48 + NVidia SLI MB (prefer Asus) available at Frys. Whether it can use Dual DDR2 or Triple DDR3 is just an extra (Unless someone can point out how much better DDR3 Triple is).

    I am currently holding onto a Rampage II Gene + i7 920 for 500$ sale at Fry's earlier (its 550$ without). As for the P6T, its just the Gene with an ATX MB and a weaker soundcard.

    If anyone could list MB's that support the E8500/8600 with NVidia Sli that are good, please post links to them so I can check them out.

    I was worried that the CPU would be the bottleneck for the 2x260 GTX's, which is why I picked up the i7. Also, I was thinking that a year or two down the road the newer/better i7's would be cheaper. If thats all wrong, let me know.
  13. I have a P35 Board with my E6750 and I decided to sell it for parts and I just ordered an i7 920, Asus P6T, and 6GB of RAM. A 6 core CPU is coming out next spring. I expect prices to drop after and the new CPU is released. It is also supposed to be compatible with current X58 Boards. You get a longer life cycle as 775 has reached the end of its life cycle.

    If I would have gotten a new CPU for my P35 board, I may have been limited to a lower FSB which equates to a lower CPU clock speed. With an X58 chipset, you can choose crossfire or SLI. It seems like a better platform as there aren't any newer 775 CPUs coming most likely. The next thing is the i5 variant of Nehalem, then Westmere>Sandy Bridge>Ivy Bridge> then eventually Haswell. i7 seems to be the way to go for now if you have the funds available
  14. Wisecracker said:
    PhII 955BE / nForce 980a SLI: $390
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.191955

    955(BE) + 980(a) = FUN^10


    (It's just not the same without yah, chris ...)



    this could be my future build this year...WOW
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs SLI Product