Sign in with
Your question

Optiplex 320 and Radeon HD 4670, PCIEx16 has only 25W max?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2009 6:41:05 AM

I have done the research in this forum to find the best graphic card works with Dell which has this 305W PSU. I figure it out that my best choice should be this 4670 graphic card which doesn't require PCIE power connection. But is the PCIEx16 slot able to supply this 4670? http://www.northwoodcomputer.com/Flyers/opti_320techspe...
According to the spec, this PCIEx16 slot can supply 25W maximum, and according to the report in tom's hardware, this 4670 need 48W when fully load. Just wondering if it is an issue?
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 18, 2009 7:58:42 AM

Thats very unusual, Its not strictly a Standard per say but its generally accepted that a pcie slot suplies 75 watts to a card. Could be because its a mini tower and maybe they have split the power between the onboard and the slot. Thats just me speculating though.
On your spec sheet it seems to be giving the option of having a x1300 which would need 30 Watts so its obvious to me that 25 Watts isnt a hard limit.
Dell PSU's tend to be generic but decent as far as power goes,and i cant see them making a differant model just fot a certain range, but again i have no proof of this. Just me speculating based on what i do know.
Based on the actual facts i would be slightly concerned. The best advice i can give is to phone Dell and just ask if the card will run on the PC.
Failing that try a differant thread asking if anyone else has one running on the same PC
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2009 1:02:44 PM

Your PSU supplies 22amps combined on the 12 volt rails, which is not huge, but it is hefty for a 300watt PSU. Amps are more important than total wattage. There are crap 450watt PSU's out there that would give you problems even with this card.
I have read people are running this card on this PSU, but you are approaching the very limit. I'd say it's about 50/50 whether or not you will have problems. Depends a lot on what the rest of your system is. Bare minimum, like 2 sticks of memory, single optical drive, single hard drive, I'd day yeah, it'll probably be okay.
Any more than that are you are starting to push your luck.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 18, 2009 4:18:03 PM

I just asked the agent on-line, and they didn't provide any input/insight regarding this issue.
I know many people use this 305W PSU and it work with Radeon HD 4670. But I just don't know if they have this 25W limitation concern?

Thanks for all these input. I appreciate!
March 18, 2009 5:55:26 PM

yayacool_sc said:
I have done the research in this forum to find the best graphic card works with Dell which has this 305W PSU. I figure it out that my best choice should be this 4670 graphic card which doesn't require PCIE power connection. But is the PCIEx16 slot able to supply this 4670? http://www.northwoodcomputer.com/Flyers/opti_320techspe...
According to the spec, this PCIEx16 slot can supply 25W maximum, and according to the report in tom's hardware, this 4670 need 48W when fully load. Just wondering if it is an issue?

I figure it out the the PCI-e X16 is low-profile. So it won't work with HD 4670.
March 18, 2009 7:39:58 PM

The issue hasn't fixed yet. Btw, my PCIE x16 slot is full height.
Please help me out if any of you have any thought?
March 20, 2009 8:42:29 PM

Yayacool_sc,
I think you'll have to do some digging as far as what type of hardware you have. Let me take a stab from memory at this....I believe the 4870 needs approx. 11amps. That being said I think you'd need a PCIe version 2.0 and at least a PSU that is ATX 1.0 compliant which (I think) can supply up to 12 amps on a 12 volt rail. If possible I would look into a meatier PSU (if possible) and get a decent one at about 600W that is ATX 2.0 compliant that can supply anywhere from 15 to 18 amps on a 12 volt rail (if again my memory serves). This would give you wiggle room for future upgrades. Please go back and check all of this as my memory is not what it used to be.

Good Luck!
March 20, 2009 9:07:30 PM

beoir said:
Yayacool_sc,
I think you'll have to do some digging as far as what type of hardware you have. Let me take a stab from memory at this....I believe the 4870 needs approx. 11amps. That being said I think you'd need a PCIe version 2.0 and at least a PSU that is ATX 1.0 compliant which (I think) can supply up to 12 amps on a 12 volt rail. If possible I would look into a meatier PSU (if possible) and get a decent one at about 600W that is ATX 2.0 compliant that can supply anywhere from 15 to 18 amps on a 12 volt rail (if again my memory serves). This would give you wiggle room for future upgrades. Please go back and check all of this as my memory is not what it used to be.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the input.
Your memory is pretty much correct. After reviewing the spec of my psu and some articles here, I think my PC can use whichever graphic card with total amps < 18mA in the 12 volt rail(thought my psu is only 305W, but it has 18 mA on 12V rail.) And also since my PCI-e x16 slot can only supply 25W, so I figure it out that I need some 6-pin power cord definitely. So I just ordered Radeon HD 3850 (though it is PCI-E 2.0 16x, but i think it is back compatible) which requres ~ 12mA when fully loaded to play safe. Let me know if that make sense to you :) 
April 19, 2009 11:30:08 PM

yayacool_sc said:
Thanks for the input.
Your memory is pretty much correct. After reviewing the spec of my psu and some articles here, I think my PC can use whichever graphic card with total amps < 18mA in the 12 volt rail(thought my psu is only 305W, but it has 18 mA on 12V rail.) And also since my PCI-e x16 slot can only supply 25W, so I figure it out that I need some 6-pin power cord definitely. So I just ordered Radeon HD 3850 (though it is PCI-E 2.0 16x, but i think it is back compatible) which requres ~ 12mA when fully loaded to play safe. Let me know if that make sense to you :) 

Yayacool,
Apologies. I was out of country for a while and just ran across your reply. You've probably done your homework so this may be redundant, but there are a few other considerations:

1) You may want to upgrade you power supply. If you look at the max capability for a PSU it usually likes to sit somewhere between 50 to 70% of max Load.
2) Cards are more and more asking for external power connections. You might want to consider getting a PSU that has a couple of 6 or 8 pin connectors. This would be ideal for future card upgrades. Plus newer PSUs are more efficient (less hit to your wallet), and are better for power conditioning (assuming you don't have an external power conditioner like an APC).
3) Heat. 4870s for example will crank out heat like that was its job. In a mid tower that might be a consideration if you've not enough venting. If you can find the (TDI?) Thermal Dissipation Index in the spec sheets that might give you a gauge of heat output by model. I know the processors have that but not sure about ATI, and Nvidia GPUs.

The last point may be too in depth for your considerations, but thats the full 360 for ya.
Happy building!
!