Sign in with
Your question

Extending a partition to unallocated space on the LEFT!?

Last response: in Storage
September 3, 2010 12:40:40 AM

Does anyone know if it's possible to extend a partition to unallocated space on the left of the partition? I did some reading around but haven't really gotten anywhere.

I want to combine E: with the Unallocated.

Thanks for any help.
a c 85 G Storage
September 3, 2010 1:06:41 AM

You might try to copy all of the contents of E: to another location, then delete E:. This would create one large contiguous space that you could make a new, larger partition from.

You could also download Ubuntu and run as a Live CD where you could use GParted (Linux based partition manager) to make adjustments to you partition structure.

Good luck!
September 3, 2010 1:08:39 AM

Hmm, I may try that. Sorry I forgot to say that I want C to eventually be around 100 gigs and have E be the rest of the disk. I'll reinstall 7 on C and then just use E as storage.
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 5, 2010 1:58:11 AM

Try Partition Wizard (the home edition is free and runs on x86 and x64 system). I've used it to do exactly what you want to do.
July 27, 2012 7:28:21 AM

mikexnemesis14 said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to extend a partition to unallocated space on the left of the partition? I did some reading around but haven't really gotten anywhere.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/MikexNemesis14/HD.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Only 4 steps to combine a partition existing and unallocated space:

1. Launch AOMEI Partition Assistant to get following disk information:
2. Select F: and drag it rightwards:
3. When the unallocated space was moved behind to C: partition. Select system partition and drag right handle of C: partition rightwards to add unallocated space into partition:
4.Click "Apply" on the toolbar to take changes. Other buttons, "Undo", "Redo" or "Discard" are used for correction. Several minutes later, you will find that adding unallocated space to system partition is done:
So, with this all-in-one and easy-to-use program, we get the best and easy method to add unallocated space to system partition for Windows 7.

download free partition assistant
July 27, 2012 8:37:33 AM

you can manage it with partition wizard.
August 15, 2012 9:54:13 AM

mikexnemesis14 said:

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/MikexNemesis14/HD.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Hello, you can merge a partition and an unallocated space with the help of partition assistant, It's the best freeware in the section of partition management I've tested, totally free and powerful..
January 29, 2013 1:33:29 PM

hi there, i tried that to extend to the left with Gparted. Now my windows 8 does not boot and mentions a 0xc0000225 error code. When i try to repair, it does not find error. When i try to refresh, it says that the disk is Locked and that i have to unlock it. Now... i don't know what to do.
!