Cat 9.3 on x2 using Vista and W7,looks good!

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Its nothing we've ever seen, the did a Nvdia test resut and saw some good results since the beginning.

I never said 10% isn't possible, I said 20 from our conversation a long time ago.

Its good though, but they need multi GPU support.

wick001

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Unbelievably terrible drivers yet again. 9.3 is the worst yet for my setup. Dual Sapphire 4870x2's CrossfireX, UD5 mobo, Core i7 920, Vista64.

Idle heat is way up around 90c, 3 of my 4 cores @ idle are running at 750/900, I lost over 4,000 points on my Vantage Benchmark P-setting, and lost 8 FPS in crysis benchmark.

8.12 Hotfix is the best driver to date for my setup.

I'm getting really fed up here, I am so close to switching to Nvidia it's not even funny. GREAT JOB ATI! not.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Honestly, I think the problem it's not with ATI or Nvidia whenever someone put 4 GPUs into a system for some stupid amount of cash. There are benchmarks out there to check what's going to happen.

Whenever someone falls into the hype... Well, it's just hype.

Multi-GPU setups are --usually-- a waste of money and most people who "game" outside of Futuremark's softwares should know that by now.

I just not feel sorry for you guys. I'm sorry. (LOL) But it's just plain silly to go to an Nvidia forum to read "OMG, WTF IS WRONG WITH THIS SH!TZ DRIVER, I'M GOING ATI" and then to an ATI one to see "THAT'S IT, I'M DONE, SUCK&RS, I'M GOING GREEN" for the same silly multi-e-penis reason.

Current Multi-GPU implementations are an utter failure in all but a couple of instances. You probably just wasted your money, not by going with ATI, but by going with all that expectation.

Lucid's Hydra is the only foreseeable helper and it hasn't arrived yet.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

If playing Stalker Clear Sky, Crysis/ Crysis Warhead, GTA 4, Empire Total War at max settings is what you're after, then multi gpu setups are perfectly valuable for their user.

By the way I have a Tri-fire 4870's, and I don't have one thing bad to say about them except for my power bill of course = P

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
from the Xbit labs test I saw an increase on lost planet the most by 10% and the rest either sub par, or basically the same.

I think 9.3 is another "failed" driver, and ppl need to lower their standards, because this happens and you say " what the heck".

Expect little and receive alot, expect alot you'll receive little.

Thank god I sold my X2 while it still has a price, I've been kept in shock be ppl, oh don't worry 9.1, oh no 9.2, no no 9.3 will be the ultimate.

I was stuck on 8.12+ hotfix forever:)

Sorry it just pisses me off because I paid full price for that card in Sept 08.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

I don't think you bought the card, banking on future drivers to give you increased performance. I know youre smarter than that... you bought it, like me and everybody else who bought an X2 at release, because it mopped the floor with every other card out there at the time.

As far as I'm concerned, drivers are created and maintained soley for compatibility issues, new game releases, and fixing any major flaws that conflicts with new software. Anyone who expects anything else is going to be constantly dissapointed. Can we hope for improvements ? Sure, I hope for improvements with every single driver release, but it usually doesn't happen.

It doesn't help when ATI/Nvidia plainly state that their drivers will increase fps up to X% !!! And then it doesn't come true, a good example would be the 9.2 Release that stated gains in WIC, Warhead, and others. When tested fps was either the same or a bit lower.

Look, it's easy for us to get upset over what seems like a constant lack of PROGRESSION of performance for the X2, but if that possibly means that my card is performing to it's highest ability already, then that's great and fine with me. = )

Also, Liquid, are you REALLY pissed off that you 'paid full price' for it in Sept ? If so, why ? Clearly you looked at numerous benchmarks from various websites, all showing the X2 as king of the hill and decided to purchase one. If you really regret paying full price for it why did you fork up the cash in the first place ? The blame is not on ATI, so I guess that leaves you.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
You know me better than that.

I bought it because it was king. I had 2 280s in my main and I kept this 1 in my secondary, I like having 1 card from either side that way I close all the gaps. the drivers have shown a decrease in performance for certian drivers now tell me, if I'm not supposed to get pissed off at the fact that it didn't increase performance, what about when it decreases.

Drivers are a form of stability, but when you buy X2 cards, you expect full support or atleast to see some gains in X2 cards. I knew when I bought it that it would be better than 1 280 GTX,but come on.

I'm not whinning as much as I'm just simply pissed off. Drivers are just showing signs of maturity (well in some parts), yet we see the revision come out. Is that fair the people that bought the 4870 X2 in Aug?

Yes nvidia makes pointless rebadges, I don't agree with that, and they have no sense of innovation (def no where near Ati's) but their drivers are where they are. they say 10% increase thats what you'll get.

I'm sorry but in this case I'm pissed off. I prob wouldn't have been as pissed of if ppl stopped saying OMG the drivers are gonna have gains, or 20% gain isn't impossible.

I would rather have ppl stop increasing that hype.

Thats my main argument, my comments (though they look aimed at the 4870 X2 or 4870s w.e) are mainly targeted at the hype going around and not directly at the card itself.

I sold my 4870 X2, because it was time 2, it wasn't in my main, I had no real use for it, and it did run really hot in my secondary. So i decided to sell it for 320$, and I'm going to buy the weaker 4890 which is single GPU, and over all less heat/hassle (atleast I'm hoping for the heat to be low, I might go ICEQ :))

Again not targeted at the cards so much as at the drivers and the overall hype.

I'm sorry for go nuts, but its unfair for the person that purchased the card for 400$ to get sub par performance. (terms of decreased performance)

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I'll definately agree that Nvidia's drivers and software is far superior to ATI. EVGA Precision is an amazing tool, the voltage changer is quite innovative, nvidia seems to release more drivers, with seemingly higher increases in performace. Then there's Physx support, which isn't amazing but don't tell me ATI wouldn't like to be the ones boasting support for it. And let's face it the CCC looks like it's made for ametures, espescially when they lock the overclocking ablilities. But I prefer ATi's actual hardware, so it's hard to choose between the two. I will prolly go back to Nvidia next round.