Does higher ram frequency affect cpu core temp?

taramjwi

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I'm running an i7 920 at 3.3ghz w/ 12gb of 2000mhz ddr3 ram. When I first set my system up I just overclocked the cpu to where I wanted it then checked the temps. Afterward I upped the ram from the the default 1066 to it's rated frequency and I also increased the DRAM voltage to 1.65. After I booted backup I experienced a 2-3 degree celcius temperature increase. I returned the ram frequency to auto and left the the DRAM voltage at 1.65 to see if that was the problem, but it dropped back down to where it was before. This leads me to believe the ram frequency is the culprit. I searched the hell outta google trying to find anything pertaining to this. Is this a normal occurrence?

yonef

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
hmmm, that's odd. I mean all AMD CPUs has mem contorler build in but I never noticed increase in temps when clocking RAM.
I guess that you have 6 sticks of RAM taht is too close to CPU cooler which could suck hotter air because of the heated memory modules. Most of the moder cooler suck air form the area where ram is, and be sure that your 6 modules generate more than enough heat.

TRENDING THREADS