I7 and ram question

blablacentral

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
i was reading about overclocking and noticed that the ram overclocks as the i7 overclocks??

if so my question is at was speed would a 930 or 950 need to be at to use ram at 1600

and what speed to need it at 2000

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
The cpu overclock will mean a lot more to the performance of your system than your ram speed will.

Settle on a cpu speed first then just use the memory divider to adjust your ram as close to 1600 as possible or even a little over if it will overclock.

drums101

Distinguished
Well just to clarify the ram doesnt have to increase in speed as your cpu is overclocked. With i7s there is a base clock this is how all of the components determine thier frequency. The cpu has its own multiplier and the ram has its own separate one also. As you overclock your cpu ur ram will increase in speed but u can set the ram multiplier lower to achieve a faster cpu overclock while keeping the ram at a lower frequency.

As far as making the 930 or 950 work with 1600 ram you do not need to change the speed of the cpu. All you would have to do is set the memory multiplier to a higher value until you hit 1600mhz. I used to run my i7 950 at stock speeds with my ram at 1600mhz but now i oc both of em lol

Latest posts