Sign in with
Your question

Best Blu-ray drive + software bundle for Nvidia 3D?

Tags:
  • Optical Media
  • Software
  • Blu-ray
  • 3D
  • Nvidia
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
September 3, 2010 3:41:02 AM

I need to get a blu-ray drive and software for Nvidia 3D playback, but I can't seem to find an option besides buying an OEM drive and the software separately.
Does anyone know of a bundle with a BD-ROM drive and 3D bluray-compatible software?

Note: The Blu-ray drive only needs to be a reader with 4x speed; the software and drivers do all of the converting on the fly.

Thanks!

More about : blu ray drive software bundle nvidia

September 3, 2010 11:56:04 AM

Yeah, people in the software forum keep telling me that buying an OEM and the software is too expensive, yet they can't find me a bundle to compare it to! :)  I'd never even heard of a non-OEM drive, and even then the ones that do come with software don't come with the updated stuff for 3D bluray, which means I have to pay extra again to get the software *ugh*

I was looking at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Really, just for the price difference (I don't need an AMAZING bluray player, just one that works). The reviewers were complaining about lack of playback, but it seems like a majority of them didn't know that you need playback software to watch blurays at all.
a b G Storage
September 3, 2010 12:03:18 PM

Do you have a separate writer or is this the only one you will use?
a b G Storage
September 3, 2010 1:40:04 PM

For 3D playback with NVIDIA (games and videos) the hardware requirements are on nvidia's site

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-requirements.htm...

For Blue Ray playback i have been using Cyberlink full version 7.3. I'm not too happy with what came with the drive. I purchased a full version and everything works fine.

If you have a 3D capable display, GPU, & Glasses Version 10 supports 3D Blue Ray playback. I have not tried it so i can't comment on its performance. I do get a lot of special offer from Cyberlink to purchase the software.

http://www.cyberlink.com/

For the drive my personal preference is LG. I had a LG BD Writer and its been reliable for ~ 3 years now. I can't comment on other brands.

I have seen other brands but i go for LG until i run hardware issues with it.

There are drives that comes with OEM version of Cyberlink Blue Ray players. Some don't so its a little bit cheaper.

BD Writer is expensive. I use it for drive-image backup and data back-up. A re-writable BD disk has capacity of about 25Gbyte. I also use it to create HD-Videos at 1080P. My Main back up media is USB Portable Drives which is cheaper than BD-Re-Writable drive.

If you don't intend to record on BD disc then go for the cheaper BD-ROM, DVD/CD Rewriter model. DVD discs are very cheap.

If you don't plan to record on optical media then ROM version will work for you.

Its your choice
September 4, 2010 10:08:14 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
Do you have a separate writer or is this the only one you will use?

I have a DVD burner; I just need the reader to watch blu-rays in 3D.
September 4, 2010 10:11:40 PM

leon2006 said:

For Blue Ray playback i have been using Cyberlink full version 7.3. I'm not too happy with what came with the drive. I purchased a full version and everything works fine.

So do you find Cyberlink's software easy to use? I'm also trying to find out which is the best software for the 3D playback, and for the most part, the differences are in user interface.

I only need a Blu-ray reader...which I posted at the beginning ;) 
September 5, 2010 11:36:30 AM

elbert said:
I would suggest LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk - OEM. It comes with Cyberlinks powerDVD 9 3D edition, 1 blank BD, and free 3D glasses. Its price is $109.99.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I already stated that I don't need a Blu-ray Burner, and the PowerDVD 9 only does 3D DVD, not 3D Blu-ray.
a b G Storage
September 6, 2010 4:09:17 AM

I'm happy with PowerDVD 7.3 full version that i have. It can play all the BD collection that i have.

Its very easy to use. If you decide to purchase the latest version is 10.x series.

User interface is very easy to use. Anybody in out place can use. Including the non-tech savy people. It drives a 70inch HDTV in one of my setup.

Warning: Customer support from cyberlink is through email only. Its very slow but it will address any issue you encounter. A lot of patience required.

I recommend an LG BD ROM drive if thats what you want/need. As stated i can't comment on other BD drive.
a b G Storage
September 7, 2010 3:28:11 PM

boiler1990 said:
I need to get a blu-ray drive and software for Nvidia 3D playback, but I can't seem to find an option besides buying an OEM drive and the software separately.
Does anyone know of a bundle with a BD-ROM drive and 3D bluray-compatible software?

Ususally the software which is bundled with drives is deliberately crippled so buying an OEM drive and the software seperately is probably the best option.
a b G Storage
September 7, 2010 6:53:37 PM

The bundled software works with some features taken out. In my case the audio was only 2 channel. I wanted a full version 7.1 audio so i purchase the full version software.

Time it right and you can get a discount. Cyberlink offer big discount from time to time.

If you purchase a BD-ROM with bundled software use it and familiarize yourself with it. Understand what it can do and compare it to your wants/needs. It will help you decide on what to do next.

There may be free ware out there. Search the net if you don't want to pay for a BD playback software.
September 10, 2010 8:47:51 PM

boiler1990 said:
I already stated that I don't need a Blu-ray Burner, and the PowerDVD 9 only does 3D DVD, not 3D Blu-ray.

I understand that but you can then upgrade the PowerDVD 9 to PowerDVD 10 for $29 to $39. Version 10 does support bluray 3D. I suggested the burner because all the players had bad feedback or less than powerDVD version 8 which will cost you more maybe even full price. The total for the burner and upgrade should be less than a reader and full price PowerDVD.
http://www.cyberlink.com/store/powerdvd/upgrade_en_US.h...
!