Sign in with
Your question

MSI MS-1722 17 inch Barebone Notebook (937-172226-010)

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2009 4:12:38 AM

I have built several desktop computers over the last 3 or 4 years for several family members, and including myself. I am in the market to buy a laptop, but since I have been doing a little research on barebones laptops and started to consider building one and found that it could be cheaper to build one than buy one that is pre-assymbled. I am trying to find out if anyone has used this barebone in a build: MSI MS-1722 17 inch Barebone Notebook (937-172226-010).
March 8, 2009 4:50:15 AM

Yes, I am using it right now. It is the best laptop I have ever owned. It is great for gaming. Very high performance. If you are familiar with light laptop disassembly and motherboard / cpu installation it should be a breeze. I got mine setup in less than 30 minutes. The assembly is pretty basic, install the cpu, install the heat sink unit and fan, install the hard drive and memory and dvdrw. One thing you gotta watchout for is if the barebones unit doesn't come with an optical drive, you will have to purchase a specific model (for the bezel to fit properly because it isn't included wth the barebones kit). And, that part has been out of stock everywhere. It's ok you can use a standard optical drive and it will look fine from the side, but you will see about about a cm gap and the bottom of the optical drive where the correct bezel would be. You also have to find a sata optical drive (they are not available at most retail shops). Strongly Built, has web cam, bluetooth, 9600 geforce, excellent speakers and sound, great keyboard. Run it with a t7300 , 4gb 667, and 250 5400rpm, nothing too flashy but it plays all games i tried in high performance / resolution.
March 8, 2009 4:53:58 AM

SDTECH619 said:
Yes, I am using it right now. It is the best laptop I have ever owned. It is great for gaming. Very high performance. If you are familiar with light laptop disassembly and motherboard / cpu installation it should be a breeze. I got mine setup in less than 30 minutes. The assembly is pretty basic, install the cpu, install the heat sink unit and fan, install the hard drive and memory and dvdrw. One thing you gotta watchout for is if the barebones unit doesn't come with an optical drive, you will have to purchase a specific model (for the bezel to fit properly because it isn't included wth the barebones kit). And, that part has been out of stock everywhere. It's ok you can use a standard optical drive and it will look fine from the side, but you will see about about a cm gap and the bottom of the optical drive where the correct bezel would be. You also have to find a sata optical drive (they are not available at most retail shops). Strongly Built, has web cam, bluetooth, 9600 geforce, excellent speakers and sound, great keyboard. Run it with a t7300 , 4gb 667, and 250 5400rpm, nothing too flashy but it plays all games i tried in high performance / resolution.

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate the information.
!