Sign in with
Your question

Computer will not turn on

Last response: in Components
May 23, 2009 2:37:57 AM

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my gaming computer. I installed Power DVD Ultra and 10 minutes later (on idle) my computer shut down on its own. At first I thought the computer just needed a restart to finalize the install but it never came back on.

So I turned off the PSU power switch off then on in the back, the motherboard LEDs came on and as soon as I press the main case power button, the fan lights would quickly flash on and turn off in less than a seconds. the motherboard lights are still on though and nothing ever comes on the screen. Also, pressing the case's main power button again does nothing.

I just got a Corsair 1000W PSU along with a new ASUS MB 2 months ago and I have a feeling that these might be the culprits. Just wanted to confirm if I am approaching this correctly. I have a 750W PSU that I can use for troubleshooting.

Here are the specs of my computer:

Case: Lian Li PC-A17B
CPU: Intel Quad Core 2 Q9450 2.66Ghz (Water cooled)
RAM: Corsaid Dominator 4GB 1066
PSU: Corsair 1000W
GPU: Saphire 4870 1G
Mobo: ASUS Maximus II Formula
HDD: 3 misc HDD (2TB total capacity)

Thank you for the help in advance!

More about : computer turn

May 23, 2009 3:18:15 AM

I would do exactly that, Take your 750watt unit and try it. I would also check to make sure all your connections are good and tight on the current setup. But,I'm sure you have done this. I would leave the 1000watt power supply in and just sit the 750 outside of the case for the testing just in case it is not the problem. Also what where your temps running? Have you tried clearing the bios and restarting the unit? Even the weight of a after market heat sink could cause the board to stop working if it is to tight are didn't seat right. Had you Over clocked the unit? Also check your ram to make sure it in and that you don't have a bad stick start by pulling one at a time to see if it would boot. But it does sound like the M/B are PSU to me as well. I would say try these things first. Good Luck and let us know what happens.
m
l
May 23, 2009 3:43:20 AM

yeah, I already checked the connections and they are good. I'm gonna try switching to my 750 PSU and see what happens. No OC'ing yet. I've been having alot of hardware issues with this build. I've destroyed a 4870 X2 and a mobo from not installing the EK GPU water block correctly. So now, I have a 120 and a 220 Rad in my single loop just for the cpu. CPU is at around 52-58 C.

m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2009 8:51:26 AM

I just remembered that I did adjust the RAM voltage/timing to run at 1066. I managed to boot the computer to BIOS and reset all settings. Memory is back to 800. It's booting up fine now.
m
l
May 23, 2009 4:20:27 PM

Your system only needs a 550W PSU, why did you change from a 750 to a 1000W PSU? At such a low % load your PSU will not be at its maximum efficiency. :o 

Mike.
m
l
May 23, 2009 7:21:20 PM

I'm glad to see you got it up and running. Thats better than waiting on an rma. Good luck with it in the future.
m
l
!