WoW Benchmarks

barmax

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
With 11+ million players, it would be nice to see benchmarks with WoW at full details and x4 multi-sampling?

Is it just too hard to setup a test? Mostly concerned with performance during panning at full detail.

Would like to upgrade to new mobo/cpu/gpu

Currently running
3.2GHz EE
2GB RAM
6800GT
WoW settings at 1280x1024 x4 and Low Detail. Happy with performance (about 45fps) but immediately drops as soon as I bump up some details.

barmax

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for the replies. That helps alot. I do occasionally like to play UT or try other titles. Will definitely do Diablo3.

I used to be a big gamer and love gaming rigs, I'm a hardware junky on a medium budget.

I was thinking of getting one of the AMD Dragon platform bundles from newegg. I would also like an HDMI output because I would like to hook it up to an HDTV (if and when I get one)

I'm glad the 4870 is more than adequate to run WoW with all the sliders maxed. Hope I can find one with HDMI.

Also found a nice WoW hardware guide on gamespot which helped alot too.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6202200/index.html

Wish List
AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Black Edition Quad-core Processor
ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 Video Card
MSI DKA790GX AM2+/AM2 ATX AMD Motherboard

The problem using World of Warcraft - or any MMO, really - as a benchmark is that frame rates aren't necessarily intrinsic to *YOUR* computer. Other things happening in the game, server response time, network latency, etc etc etc, all have impact on performance and your experience as a participant. Go to a capital city during peak times, and frame rates are poor. Go back to the same exact spot at 4am, and you could get a bazillion FPS on the exact same computer. Go at 4PM, and you may have a 50 spellcasters having a party and dropping area of effect spells all over the place - reducing your frame rates to a crawl.

Now, using a single player FPS means you can reload the game, and run the exact same route, time and again, and get very similar results. Time of day doesn't matter. Network latency didn't matter. Server response time doesn't matter. What the bazillion other players around you are doing is totally irrelevant - because there are none. etc etc etc...

The lack of consistency and repeatability makes MMOs a very poor benchmark.

As pointed out, WoW isn't a particularly demanding game on your graphics. Any half decent card and half decent computer can run it very very well. If you're still having problems, then change servers to a low pop one and/or change servers to the one with the lowest ping. If you have social reasons for not doing that? Then there's not a lot you can do other than tough it out.

barmax

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Set to High quality at a res of 1280x1024, I think I need something better than a 6800GT (AGP). it's just too slow and jittery at the med and high settings. At the Low setting the game is smooth. I did bump up spell detail and distance a couple of notches and still had acceptable performance. Nothing else though before I see a hit.

I fell like I'm missing out on the beauty of the game. 6800GT was a pretty decent card back in the day, I bought it for Doom3. It just can't cut it today.

On another hand, out of curiosity, I loaded up WoW on a Macbook Pro 15" from work and selected the 9600M GT GPU and it ran better than my trusty old tower with the 6800GT.

Still not at High Quality settings but better. I can run it on Medium setting with decent FPS.