Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • Fan
  • Arctic
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
September 13, 2010 12:46:51 AM

I bought the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2, linked to below, and I'm not exactly satisfied. It works well, keeping my CPU about ten degrees cooler, Celsius, but the fan is huge yet weak. It extends too far over the RAM slots, requiring me to use lower profile RAM for the first two slots.

I've been searching for a replacement, something with a fan that I can replace and customize, but I'm having trouble finding that. I'm unsure of which coolers allow for custom fans, or how they would attach. I'm also hoping to find something that doesn't require the removal of my motherboard. The last time I had to take it out I had a lot of trouble getting it back in correctly, and I really don't want to ruin any parts with my inexperience. The Freezer attaches well, with push pins for the base and screws to pull the cooler as close to the CPU as possible.

I'm almost willing to pull the fan off the clip-base, because it does have holes where the rubber frame of the fan fits into, but I'm not sure if another fan can screw into those holes.

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated,

Thanks.

More about : arctic cooling freezer pro rev

a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2010 2:40:29 AM

If you want to try modding it, look for other 92mm fans (some are here). You might find one that comes with clips to fit on the heatsink fins. Some more here. 92mm fan clips here.

I used the original version of that cooler for several years, but never had a problem with the fan causing clearance problems with the RAM.
September 13, 2010 10:50:39 AM

Thanks for the links.

I have the cooler turned so that the fan is pushing air through the heat sink towards the exhaust fan. The fan, itself, has the depth of two fans and sits out on top of the RAM. I could probably turn it so that it doesn't do this, but I don't want to mess up the airflow.
Related resources
September 13, 2010 9:32:57 PM

I was looking for something that didn't require pulling the motherboard out. I'm not quite sure why that's still a requirement for most coolers when there are the few that don't and still work well.

Anyways, that cooler does look nice, but the poor reviews it's receiving are concerning. Not only would I have to pull the motherboard out, but I may even find the pieces are all broken? I do like the idea of two fans, but my four-pin connections are on opposite sides of the board, which might make things tricky.
a c 197 K Overclocking
September 14, 2010 6:39:43 AM

The larger coolers went to backing plates because the weight of the cooler could pull it out out the pushpin holes.
September 15, 2010 3:17:29 PM

I got same cooler ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2

What kinda truck size ram you got? :heink: 

I got a Micro ATX Motherboard and it clears ram slots completly.

Another thing you could try is to Disable the Bios control of the fan RPM.

With Asus Motherboards this is Q-Fan setting that needs to be disabled.

Controll it using SpeedFan.

I have my desired Temp for cpu, core 0 and core 1 is 41c but it idles at 40.
The min speed when idle is 30% and depending on load max is 100%

Controlling it with speedfan it lowerd my temps by 5c than with bios.

My temps dont go more than 41c while gaming (1920x1080res) and 46c with prime95.
September 15, 2010 9:24:05 PM

My RAM comes with heat spreaders, which add a lot of height to them. I'm going to try using wire clips to clip on a 92mm fan.
a b K Overclocking
September 16, 2010 12:43:57 AM

lun4tic said:
Thanks for the links.

I have the cooler turned so that the fan is pushing air through the heat sink towards the exhaust fan. The fan, itself, has the depth of two fans and sits out on top of the RAM. I could probably turn it so that it doesn't do this, but I don't want to mess up the airflow.

I read that the turning the cooler sideways provides better cooling (I think it was here at TH) because the coolant in the heatpipes was spread more evenly throughout the pipes. I tried that mounting, but didn't see any difference in temps. I changed it back to the front-to-rear orientation so I could see that the fan was turning.
May 15, 2012 10:18:19 AM

do you have 2 or 4 PCI-e slots? I had same prob with same cooler but I moved my hyperx blu modules on another 2 slots for dual channel
!