Sign in with
Your question
Solved

OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Gold AMD Edition Questions

Last response: in Memory
July 30, 2009 5:41:34 AM

Let me just start off by saying, please forgive my ignorance, as it's been several years since I last built my own system.

While researching RAM for my next build, I was looking for PC3-12800 to go along with the Foxconn Blackops X48 and a Core 2 Quad Q9550. I ended up deciding that the OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Gold Edition was a good match for me for price & performance.

Then I noticed the OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Gold AMD Edition which seemed to be essentially the same thing, but with a lower voltage. However, it's rather clearly labeled "AMD AM3 DDR3 Platforms Only".

So, my question is, what about it makes it AMD AM3 only? The Blackops X48 DRAM voltage defaults to 1.648V. The AMD Edition RAM is rated for 1.65V. So what gives here? Would these parts be able to work together? If so, are there any drawbacks? I seem to remember that lower voltage means lower temperatures and possibly longer lifespan. So that's why I considered the "AMD Only" part.

Best solution

a b } Memory
July 30, 2009 6:05:00 AM

Probably the way the memory chip was designed; it might have special features that can maximize a compatible AMD-based motherboard, not to mention the clock speed and timings.

In short, just follow what the label says, and don't try to use the RAM on incompatible systems, as you may not maximize the RAM at best, or even destroy it at worst.
September 20, 2009 10:39:57 PM

OCZ’s AMD Black Edition is tested and qualified specifically for AMD’s latest “Black Edition” CPUs for ultimate performance and stability. Featuring the unique AMD “OverDrive™” (AOD) feature, users can unleash the remote stored profiles directly from AMD when used with 790FX / 790GX motherboards, giving users a performance edge with instant “plug and play” functionality.
m
l
September 28, 2009 12:57:03 AM

chechak said:
OCZ’s AMD Black Edition is tested and qualified specifically for AMD’s latest “Black Edition” CPUs for ultimate performance and stability. Featuring the unique AMD “OverDrive™” (AOD) feature, users can unleash the remote stored profiles directly from AMD when used with 790FX / 790GX motherboards, giving users a performance edge with instant “plug and play” functionality.

Thanks for the marketing spiel. You brought nothing to the conversation.
m
l
!