Wondering if it's worth upgrading to a CoolIT ECO-R120?

mlicciar

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
I recently upgraded my AMD Propus core 620 OCed to 3.0ghz to a AMD 1055T OCed to 3.2ghz. I usually do not max out the OC, I just like a comfortable OC usually to the next price segment. When I ran prime95 with the propus core, the max temp hovered around 44C. I always keep the Antec fans on low as I do not like fan noise. At all. Not even a little bit. I use AS 5 as the thermal paste.

However, things changed a bit with the Thuban core. At stock speeds under Prime95 the chip was running around 56C. With an easy OC to 3.2ghz it runs around 60C with ambient temp of 24C. I increased the Antec fans to high and it brought the load temps down from 60C to 56.5C. However, the noise was unacceptable. It is interesting feeling the plume of heat coming out of the top 200mm fan (never notice that with that with the smaller propus core, even under load)

Presently at night with room temp around 22C, the idle temp (according to AMD overdrive) is hovering around 20-22C.

So having said all the background crap, I got myself thinking for an upgrade of the cooler. The old school cooler that I am using is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103031 , it does an admirable job considering it was a $25 cooler about 2 1/2 years ago. I realize there are much beefier and better coolers in the $60 range. However, I am intrigued with the CoolIT. I like the concept of water cooling. Plus the low noise and heat outside the case is a good thing. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind the 3.5ghz OC, however, I think it may run a bit warm as is.

Basically what I am asking, would the CoolIt lower the temps enough to justify the upgrade? Any other suggestions for coolers as well? Should I even bother upgrading with my current temps?

Thanks in advance!

ANTEC 900
Gigabyte 785G AM3
Crucial 4GB 1333
Corsair 650 watt
AMD 1055T OCed 3.2ghz
Cooler Master 92mm Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler - AS 5
ATI 5830 (800/1000)