GTX 260 SLI Problem Vista 64-bit

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2009 3:27:16 PM

I have a single EVGA GTX 260 that is working fine. Last night I added another to get SLI going. The system recognized the card and I was able to enable SLI within the NVIDIA control panel. When I run ANY of my games I get a lot of flickering and or green horizontal bars at the top ot the screen. This happens on all games. when I disable SLI everything is perfect. Another observation was almost like an audible strain either coming from the cards themselves or the power supply. Any ideas?

I tried many configurations under 3D settings to no avail. I should have plenty of power, I even split the load across both rails on the PS. One more thing is sometimes I get a completely blue screen (not the blue screen your thinking of) which I can alt-ctr-del out of but before I can end task my game comes back up in a window on my desktop with no artifacts at all?

I read in other posts that you can only run the 260 in 3-way? Is this true? The ASUS SLI bridge was too short to go from the primary slot (closest to the CPU) to the outer most slot as directed in EVGA instructions so I put them right up against each other... ASUS also included a 3-SLI bridge which differs from the 2-way because it covers both connections on each card...

Latest NVIDIA drivers installed.

Vista 64-bit Core i7 920 OC'd to 3.92 - Corsair 1000W - P6T standard - Corsair Dominator Triple Channel 3x2GB - 2 VeloiciRaptor 300GB in RAID0 - CoolerMaster V10 - CoolerMaster HAF - Viewsonic 24" @ 1920X1080

More about : gtx 260 sli problem vista bit

March 20, 2009 12:24:34 PM

Are the power connectors plugged into the back of both video cards?
You can do 2-way SLI.

m
l
March 20, 2009 4:50:41 PM

Well after trying just about everything I finally solved the problem.

Apparently the SLI ribbon that's supposed to be used for 2-way SLI was bad? I ended up using the 3-way SLI bridge board leaving the third connection open and everything works perfectly and my cards are better supported. All games are now flawless. 3DMark was roughly 82,000
m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2009 4:34:16 PM

jmacres said:
Well after trying just about everything I finally solved the problem.

Apparently the SLI ribbon that's supposed to be used for 2-way SLI was bad? I ended up using the 3-way SLI bridge board leaving the third connection open and everything works perfectly and my cards are better supported. All games are now flawless. 3DMark was roughly 82,000

I am having this same issue (with the same cards) and was wondering if it was the middle or the end port (on your 3-way SLI bridge) you left empty?
m
l
March 25, 2009 1:48:06 AM

BriarLee said:
I am having this same issue (with the same cards) and was wondering if it was the middle or the end port (on your 3-way SLI bridge) you left empty?

I have the bridge on the tabs closest to the end of the card, meaning towards the outside of the case.
m
l
!