Sign in with
Your question

Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Over Clock Question?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2009 4:40:36 PM

I bought a GTX 260 Core 216 Supeclocked card and i want to know if i can Over Clock it to be just like the
GTX 260 Core 216 FTW, I saw the FTW Specs so i was thinking if i OC the SC to the Same Exact Frequencies as the FTW card will it be as Fast as the FTW??

I'm Going to Use Evga Precision tools, and put the same numbers as the FTW Specs, Will it be the same, Why or Why Not?

GTX 260 Core 216 FTW
Tech Specs
Performance
NVIDIA GTX 260 Core 216
670 MHz GPU
216 Processing Cores
400 MHz RAMDAC

Memory
896 MB, 448 bit DDR3
2304 MHz (effective)
129.0 GB/s Memory Bandwidth

GTX 260 Core 216 Supeclocked
Tech Specs
Performance
NVIDIA 55nm GTX 260
626 MHz GPU
216 Processing Cores
400 MHz RAMDAC

Memory
896 MB, 448 bit DDR3
2106 MHz (effective)
117.9 GB/s Memory Bandwidth
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 18, 2009 4:57:13 PM

Ok a little on how the cores are graded first,
Basically the chips on the wafer are all sent for testing to see if they meet the desired spec for the intended use, ie X MHz for Y amount of time. Some will fail and will be binned for later use on a lower spec card and some will pass exceptionally well and its these chips that its generally thought (never seen any statement from a manufacturer) go to make the OC and other special versions of the cards. We had a discussion about it long time ago and it just makes sense.
Now i dont know how exactly they are tested but it seems to make sense that its similar if not exactly the same as when you run a artifacts test with the MHz building untill the chip falls over. That then tells you where each chip fails and so you can tell MHz wise the max it will run at.

Thats not to say you cant buy a stock card and run it at the same speeds as a factory OCed card because you can. All you are paying for with these cards is the guarantee that it will run at the higher clocks, a stock card may or may not.

In your case i would think that you have a fair chance of getting the OC as you should in theory have a better than average chip in the first place. Besides there is no harm in trying as long as you take it slow, a few MHz at a time, dont just change the settings to match the other card and keep an eye on your temps. The worse that can happen is it dosent work and you set it back to stock for your card.

Mactronix
March 18, 2009 5:20:06 PM

its possible just as mactronix said do it slow and watch ur temp.. i have a 8800 gt factroy overclocked and then i used a riva tuner to run it higher .. and its still runing till now
April 5, 2009 7:52:48 PM

i have an XFX GTX 260 Black Edition with the specs 666 core speed.
This are my current specs after the overclocked:( used riva tuner)
core clock:700
shader clock:1500
memory clock: 1400(2800)
fan speed: 75%==> 53Celsius at idle
!