Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hp psc 500xi All-In-One

Last response: in Windows XP
July 27, 2011 5:51:04 PM

I've just been given an HP PSC 500xi and have downloaded all available drivers, manuals, etc. from HP.

Nowhere in the documentation is there an explanation for what looks like a PS2 port on the back near the parallel port connector.

Anyone know what that's for?

More about : psc 500xi

a b \ Driver
a b α HP
July 27, 2011 10:06:33 PM

Isn't it in the manual!
m
l
Related resources
July 28, 2011 2:43:17 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Isn't it in the manual!

As I stated in the original posting, second paragraph:

"Nowhere in the documentation is there an explanation for what looks like a PS2 port on the back near the parallel port connector. "

Perhaps I should have explained "documentation" meant any of the three PDF manuals available for download for the HP website.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b α HP
July 28, 2011 2:45:02 AM

I searched all over the internet and found one person asking the same question and it also had no answer!I'll keep checking!
m
l
July 28, 2011 3:00:26 AM

AntiZig said:
it's called an S-video port - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

Although none of the examples shown on your link are an 8-pin configuration such as I described, other than an undescribed port for a Commodore 64 (!), further searching found this link, which seems to confirm a 3-3-2 configuration as an 8-pin S-video port, although a standard 4-pin cable certainly isn't compatible.

http://www.google.com/search?q=8-pin+s-video&hl=en&biw=... (on "Page 10")

So, now that we have *probably* ID'd this mystery port, the question now becomes:

What the heck is it FOR?

There is simply no explanation anywhere in the HP documentation for the PSC 500xi All-In-One.

Strange, inadequate, and insufficient on HP's part, IMHO.
m
l
July 28, 2011 7:05:09 PM

You didn't state in your first post that it was an 8-pin port...

as per wiki, s-video is typically 4 pin with 7 and 9 pin variants. If they put on an 8pin you obviously would need an adapter for it.

regardless, if you don't have any use for this, obviously archaich, port, why are we going through such lengths to figure out what it is exactly? It's an s-video, with 8 pins, so it's a non-standard configuration, which carries some extra data with it. Unless you have a strong need for that data what does it matter in your every day usage?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b α HP
July 28, 2011 7:08:32 PM

ADF cable connector?

This plug is for an optional ADF.
m
l
July 28, 2011 8:44:28 PM

automatic document feeder? unlikely, seeing how I have no idea where it would actually feed it...
m
l
July 28, 2011 9:52:03 PM

oh wait, lmao, now I feel like a retard, completely forgot this thread was about a printer XD

mr 51 is correct then, adf would make sense :) 
m
l

Best solution

a b \ Driver
a b α HP
July 29, 2011 12:52:18 AM

8-pin

MiniDIN-8 Diagram.svg

Sony VISCA Camera Control
Apple Macintosh Serial Port
Epson
Epson PX-8 and Epson PX-4 RS-232 and Serial port
Scanner TPU and automatic document feeder
NEC Turbo Duo Controller Port
Multimedia Extension Connector
ATI Radeon 8-pin video connector.
Legacy Roland serial port MIDI connectors (Mac/PC).
Sanyo/Fischer Camcorder A/V out (older models)
Mitsubishi FX series PLC RS422 port
Shure SCM810 and FP410 automixers.
Sun Microsystems
Serial Keyboard/Mouse connector (3/80 through UltraSPARC).
SPARCstation IPC & IPX Serial port.
SPARCstation IPC & IPX Audio In/Out port.
Sun Fire E25K Serial port.
Directed Car Screens.
SiriusConnect interface for Sirius satellite radios.
Neptune Systems Aquacontroller serial and I/O port
Kenwood TM-V71 - Radio to PC connector
Yaesu
CAT (Computer aided transceiver) interface port
FT-450 TUNER port (view of rear panel, 8-pin TUNER port middle-left)
FT-817ND CAT/Linear port
FT-857D CAT/Linear port
FT-950 external tuner port
Numark CDN25+G CD player remote
Altec Lansing ADA885 left speaker connection
Hewlett Packard ScanJet ADF
Idec PLC and HMI communication and programing ports
Polycom VSX7000 series serial/VC control connector
iSimple Gateway iPod/iPhone Interface Connectors
July 29, 2011 12:58:15 AM

AntiZig said:
You didn't state in your first post that it was an 8-pin port...

as per wiki, s-video is typically 4 pin with 7 and 9 pin variants. If they put on an 8pin you obviously would need an adapter for it.

regardless, if you don't have any use for this, obviously archaich, port, why are we going through such lengths to figure out what it is exactly? It's an s-video, with 8 pins, so it's a non-standard configuration, which carries some extra data with it. Unless you have a strong need for that data what does it matter in your every day usage?
You're absolutely right, I should have described the port in terms of # of pins.

As to your comment "if you don't have any use for this, obvious archaich [sic] port, why are we going through such lengths . . . . (etc) ."

Why does anyone with a piece of hardware of unknown use try to identify it?

Maybe to see if there IS something to be gained as to additional usefulness if you knew what it was for? Just a crazy thought . . . . ;) 

Anyway, a useful entry below has accurately ID'd this port. Now I know what it is and now I know that I have no use for it because the device that might've been hooked up to use that port has either been discontinued or wasn't available in the first place.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b α HP
July 29, 2011 1:02:20 AM

It wasn't available on all the scanjet models even though the port was there according to a couple of places i read about the ADF!
m
l
July 29, 2011 1:09:56 AM

You're right!! Haven't seen one of those since I figured out how to hook up an Apple Imagewriter II dot-matrix printer to a PC serial port!

The mention on the list of an HP Scanjet ADF is certainly a strong hint that this model may also have had that as an option.

It may be that since this is a 10-year-old all-in-one, that any references to an ADF for this model (if there ever was one) have been deleted from the online documentation, accessories list, etc.

Mystery solved!
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b α HP
July 29, 2011 1:11:58 AM

It took me awhile but i tracked it down.Tom's Hardware is always glad to help! :D 
m
l
August 5, 2011 10:13:15 AM

Best answer selected by rarainwater.
m
l
!