Sign in with
Your question

Can not set up RAID 0 on new system

Last response: in Storage
September 3, 2010 8:59:22 PM

I have been unable to set up RAID 0 on a new Windows 7 system.

Both drives are identical, and are functioning. I set up RAID using the controller, reload the operating system, and on reboot it cant boot to the harddrives. In the BIOS I can not set the drive priority (the only option is "Not Installed").

Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me?

More about : set raid system

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
September 3, 2010 9:10:58 PM

What are the drives? Are you using a RAID card or the motherboards RAID feature? What motherboard do you have?
a b $ Windows 7
a c 98 G Storage
September 3, 2010 9:19:56 PM

The SATA configuration in BIOS must be RAID, which it should have been, in order for you to install the OS to it. Check it.

Have you checked the boot order? Set the RAID array as first boot.
Related resources
September 3, 2010 9:31:27 PM

foscooter said:
The SATA configuration in BIOS must be RAID, which it should have been, in order for you to install the OS to it. Check it.

Have you checked the boot order? Set the RAID array as first boot.

yeah that seems to be the problem. I can not set the RAID array as first boot. (the only option is 'not installed')
The SATA configuration in the BIOS is in RAID
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
September 3, 2010 10:27:45 PM

When first powering up the machine it shows the hit del or f10 or whatever to enter BIOS does it also show hit f5 or something else to enter RAID setup?
September 3, 2010 11:04:30 PM

yeah Ctrl-I
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
September 5, 2010 2:41:52 PM

And if you hit the CTRL+I can you create your RAID there then the BIOS should show RAID as a boot option.
September 5, 2010 3:51:31 PM

anonymous1 said:
And if you hit the CTRL+I can you create your RAID there then the BIOS should show RAID as a boot option.

I can create RAID there, but there is no RAID boot option.
I can set "SATA controller mode" to RAID
In the boot screen I can not set "HDD Group Boot Priority" to anything. The only option is "Not Installed"
September 13, 2010 3:41:28 AM

Out of curiousity, if you choose the Advanced mode setup of Windows, can you see the hard drive size? Does it see both drives, or the entire RAID? Perhaps you need to load the RAID driver during the install process. I have ran into this before with Windows XP on one of my systems, where setup saw the drive and the RAID, installed fine, but could not boot to it.
September 13, 2010 3:08:58 PM

Yeah it does. I do suspect that the driver is missing, but how does one get a driver for an OEM board made for HP?
a b $ Windows 7
a c 98 G Storage
September 13, 2010 10:18:26 PM

Ok, the chipset for your board is Intel X58 Express.

So the updated drver is here: Intel Rapid Storage Technology v9.6

But is the BIOS won't set or see the RAID array, the driver won't do any good. Drivers are part of the OS, and you're not even getting to there.
!