Online powersupply calculators

elgigtarr

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I have just done a full uppgrade of my old computer, i uppgraded everything accept the harddrives, dvd reader, chassi & my powersupply(500w)

this is my current confugiration:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2
I7 920
corsair ddr3 1600 MHz 2GB 3x
sapphire Radeon HD 4890
3 fans including the standard cpu fan, the other 2 is 120mm blue led
3 sata harddrives
+ 4 usb devieses

The problem:
before i bought the new parts i checked this configuration with http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
it showed 482w with 30% in Capacitor Aging,
so i figured my 500w would do but...

During installation i read the manual for my motherboard and it said i needed at least 600w otherwise my computer would become unstable.
in the manual there was also a link to asus own calculator
http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyCalculator/PowerSupplyCalculator_right.aspx
which showed i needed 650w at least, which agrees quite well with the manuals recomendation.

Now my questions are:

How much power does my powersupply need to provide?
And why does asus & extreme calculate such a difference in watts?

Solution
Anyway I am not so sure how reliable the psu is and probably it will be a good idea to think about buying a good psu in the near future.

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
What PSU do you have?
Your system will not use more than 400W.
If is a good psu then is nothing to worry about. It's fine.
Probably Asus is thinking that not everybody is buying a good PSU so they just increase the power to make sure that the PSU has enough amps. My guess anyway.

elgigtarr

Distinguished
May 23, 2009

my powersupply is an AXP Simple Power 500W

elgigtarr

Distinguished
May 23, 2009

sure

3.3V 23A
5V 28A
12V1 17A
12V2 18A
-12V 0,6A
5V 2A

I'm not sure if this is what you request but I couldn't think of anything else.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

To answer your questions:
1. http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine is one of the best power supply calculators out there and the rating it gave you is ok because it take into consideration the lowest PSU wattage needed:
- ATI 4890 uses 2x 6-pin 75W power connectors + the 80 or so watts from the PCI-E slot .. that's a total output of 230W give or take depending on the supply voltages and amps for those voltages. Even so it's plenty for a 500W PSU.

Now the amp thing, most ppl think bigger is better, like putting a 1000W PSU in a system with an SLI or Crossfire configuration, but that is plain stupid. Again, your card needs 75W on a 6pin connector and that means it needs 2x75Watts/12Volts = 12.6 Amps on the 12 volt rail minimum to be able to start it up. Since u have a multiple rail configured PSU that is able to deliver 17+ Amps on your 12V line u're ok with 500W of power.

elgigtarr

Distinguished
May 23, 2009

Thank you I was considering buying a new powersupply but I'm going to test my current and i did a little research myself and I found out that gigabyte only write minimum 500w in their manual. So it's probably so that Asus minimum limit is more like a just to make sure limit ;)

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

How many PCIe connectors does your PSU have? If it doesn't have 2, I would recommend buying a good quality PSU that does.

elgigtarr

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Half a day later and my computer is up and running, things didn't turned out as we discussed, after a closer look at my powersupply I realised it wasn't a 80 PLUS.
so I didn't want to gamble. I bought a quiet cheep 620w with plenty of resources.

thanks again =)

elgigtarr

Distinguished
May 23, 2009

a good PSU costs and this was a pretty unexpected error. so my economy doesn't allow me to choose 80plus PSU.

And my PSU is of some quality anyway & it have all the necessary connectors except 8 pin CPU connection. I haven't thought of overclocking my I7 right now so it's unnecessary.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

80Plus does not necessarily mean good quality. Cheap PSUs are never a good idea, it's the most important component in your system. When poor quality PSUs fail there's a chance they'll take other parts with them.

elgigtarr

Distinguished
May 23, 2009

I know 80plus only means the PSU provides at least 80% of the input power at 50% load.

and I know a cheap PSU can ruin your computer that is why I bought this upgrade in the first place. (My motherboard & GPU stopped working when I installed a new CPU fan, my PSU couldn't provide enough power and it died along whit the rest)
thanks for the update though ;) but if I'm going to buy an expensive PSU I think I prefer an 80plus ;) because of 2 things, heat & environmental reasons.